test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steagles

United States NT

Started by Steagles,

170 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of Aron Jóhannsson? I found out that he is actually Icelandic, but somehow he is playing for USA?

He was born to Icelandic parents in Alabama in the USA. He is a dual citizen of the US and Iceland, and chose to play for the US.

He is lightning quick and a decent finisher. He can be great given the right final ball from the midfield.

He was born to Icelandic parents in Alabama in the USA. He is a dual citizen of the US and Iceland, and chose to play for the US.

He is lightning quick and a decent finisher. He can be great given the right final ball from the midfield.

Well that is a shame since the Icelandic national team has been moving up (think they were beaten by Croatia for a spot in the world cup). Coming so close to getting in the world cup with population less than a million is quite good.

Who is likely to be the starting striker for USA in your opinion? Altidore?

Well that is a shame since the Icelandic national team has been moving up (think they were beaten by Croatia for a spot in the world cup). Coming so close to getting in the world cup with population less than a million is quite good.

Who is likely to be the starting striker for USA in your opinion? Altidore?

I think it will be Jozy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wondolowski or Johansson started against a certain matchup at some point.

Steagles.

I don't think anyone should have the "disabled child" treatment anymore by getting to world cups through qualifying from sub standard competition in qualification..i would have qualification where all teams from all continents enter it and can qualify from the same groups. USA ,Mexico,Some african,some asian,some south american teams,New Zealand,Iran etc..are far higher in the world rankings than they would be due to who they have to compete against for qualification to the World cup finals.

I'll use Wales as an example..they have not qualified for a World cup finals spot since 1958..they have had teams with Ryan Giggs,Gareth Bale,Mark Hughes,Aaron Ramsey,Ian Rush,Gary Speed,Dean Saunders,Kevin Ratcliffe,Neville Southall,John Toshack,Peter Nicholas,Mickey Thomas,Joey Jones,Brian Flynn,Terry Yorath and many more who starred at top clubs in britain and europe. You think they wouldn't have got to any if not many world cups if they had the likes of Saudi Arabia,Iran,New Zealand,Equador etc..to beat for qualification instead of groups that have the likes of Germany,Spain,Netherlands,Italy,Portugal,France,England plus teams like Russia,Belgium,Croatia,Serbia,Poland,Ukraine,Czech rep.Sweden,Denmark etc..

MAF likes this

Steagles.

I don't think anyone should have the "disabled child" treatment anymore by getting to world cups through qualifying from sub standard competition in qualification..i would have qualification where all teams from all continents enter it and can qualify from the same groups. USA ,Mexico,Some african,some asian,some south american teams,New Zealand,Iran etc..are far higher in the world rankings than they would be due to who they have to compete against for qualification to the World cup finals.

I'll use Wales as an example..they have not qualified for a World cup finals spot since 1958..they have had teams with Ryan Giggs,Gareth Bale,Mark Hughes,Aaron Ramsey,Ian Rush,Gary Speed,Dean Saunders,Kevin Ratcliffe,Neville Southall,John Toshack,Peter Nicholas,Mickey Thomas,Joey Jones,Brian Flynn,Terry Yorath and many more who starred at top clubs in britain and europe. You think they wouldn't have got to any if not many world cups if they had the likes of Saudi Arabia,Iran,New Zealand,Equador etc..to beat for qualification instead of groups that have the likes of Germany,Spain,Netherlands,Italy,Portugal,France,England plus teams like Russia,Belgium,Croatia,Serbia,Poland,Ukraine,Czech rep.Sweden,Denmark etc..

So you just disagree with federation qualification? I can agree with that.

How would you guys go about qualifying?

16 groups,top 2 from each group go through.

Without knowing the exact rankings an example of one group could be this:

Brazil

Croatia

South Korea

Ghana

Costa Rica

Scotland

New Zealand

That would cover the top 112 international teams.

I doubt if it will ever happen because nations like Mexico,most of the top asian and african teams would see their virtually automatic World cup finals spots taken away and have to be hard earned back.

I enjoy the World cup as it is but would be nice to see the best 32 teams in the world actually play in it sometime.

MAF likes this

All about the first game for USA. If they win their chances increase drastically.

In 2006 Ghana was a top team.

In 2010 it was about even.

Today not sure if they are the threat they used to be before.

Thus I think the chances of USA beating Ghana are high.

After that don't think they can get anything from Germany but Portugal a point at least.

All about the first game for USA. If they win their chances increase drastically.

In 2006 Ghana was a top team.

In 2010 it was about even.

Today not sure if they are the threat they used to be before.

Thus I think the chances of USA beating Ghana are high.

After that don't think they can get anything from Germany but Portugal a point at least.

Ghana was a top team in 2010 too. But yea, they NEED to beat Ghana in the first game. I doubt they will, USA isn't very strong, although neither are Ghana since the usa last faced them. Doubt they beat Portugal, no chance of beating Germany.

Also why is this the group of death? Or that's what people over here said.

Groups B (Spain, Chile, Holland) and D (Italy, Uruguay, England) are much tougher IMO.

16 groups,top 2 from each group go through.

Without knowing the exact rankings an example of one group could be this:

Brazil

Croatia

South Korea

Ghana

Costa Rica

Scotland

New Zealand

That would cover the top 112 international teams.

I doubt if it will ever happen because nations like Mexico,most of the top asian and african teams would see their virtually automatic World cup finals spots taken away and have to be hard earned back.

I enjoy the World cup as it is but would be nice to see the best 32 teams in the world actually play in it sometime.

the world cup isn't really about the 32 best teams though, Its a tournament that tries to represent each continent. Maybe the last 5 spots should be a tournament inter-confediration, but the current system seems ok

the world cup isn't really about the 32 best teams though, Its a tournament that tries to represent each continent. Maybe the last 5 spots should be a tournament inter-confediration, but the current system seems ok

Yea. If not it'd just be a bigger version on the Euro tourney with a few American and African countries. It would diminish interest drastically.

Chelsea? likes this

I picked that up watching the last 9 World cups..i know it isn't but i think it should. Time for some continents to get out of the wheelchair and earn their world cup spot. It won't happen tho..even tho it would be better for world football if every nation who wants to play in it were forced to raise their standard.the current format makes the world rankings always misleading.

Yea. If not it'd just be a bigger version on the Euro tourney with a few American and African countries. It would diminish interest drastically.

You'd still have the one nation World series..

USA should apply for the European champions league.

There is no reason they should n't.

Israel play who are not exactly situated in Europe and some eastern former Soviet republics.

Usa has a better chance winning the world cup than england does in the future.

Not that I am saying England will win a competition anytime soon but where do you base this conclusion from? England have a lot of young special talent coming through.

But let me guess, you probably think South Korea will win the World Cup soon as well right?

:rolleyes:

Duppy Conqueror likes this

Not that I am saying England will win a competition anytime soon but where do you base this conclusion from? England have a lot of young special talent coming through.

But let me guess, you probably think South Korea will win the World Cup soon as well right?

:rolleyes:

Its actually common sense. Usa has the best athletes in the world for every sport, once soccer/football gets embraced by the publicand youth, its pretty much over...

I picked that up watching the last 9 World cups..i know it isn't but i think it should. Time for some continents to get out of the wheelchair and earn their world cup spot. It won't happen tho..even tho it would be better for world football if every nation who wants to play in it were forced to raise their standard.the current format makes the world rankings always misleading.

But how many Asian countries can afford to pay half the money that goes into football in England or Germany? How many in Africa? And I'm not even talking about sponsorships or TV rights, just the foundations of football like academies and stadiums.

The message of the world cup is that football is a global game that unites people with different cultures from all corners of the earth.

Its actually common sense. Usa has the best athletes in the world for every sport, once soccer/football gets embraced by the publicand youth, its pretty much over...

Yeah, the rest of the world is better off just quitting football now while they're still ahead... :rolleyes:

Stats and The Skipper like this