The Board

20 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

To be honest, all this talk of Luis Campos and what he’s done for Monaco in a similar role is a good thing sure but let’s not forget the other variables, like Jardim playing these young guys every week for 2/3 seasons in a league renowned for bringing through youth players, do you think those guys would get the same development in the PL? Even then some of these talents/less known players like like Sibide and Bakayoko all had a good bit of first team experience at other clubs prior to moves to there.

Sure Campos has a good eye for talent but guys like Mbappe, Fabinho, Martial, Mendy werent exactly unknowns were they? They had the right place to develop, I don’t think youth scouting is our issue or ever wikl be, as we’ve seen with the club identifying guys like Courtois, KdB, Christensen, Lukaku, Musonda etc. our path to get people into the first team is the issue.

Also the problem we’ve had recently is recruiting high profile targets: John Stones, Alex Sandro, Chamberlain, Llorente, Barkley, Bonucci and whoever else over the last 3-4 years etc. I think the club has enough lure to a point, but imagine a Zola, a Drogba, a Lampard, a Di Matteo,  somebody who’s been through it with Chelsea (experience working with a technical director would be useful) and can sell the club that little bit more because it’s their club so to speak. If we want to go the way of Monaco and build a young team with the potential to win the league 3/4 years down the like then yes sign him up and listen to him but the big man upstairs and senior players want to compete for titles.

My opinion is that someone like Drogba or Lamps should coach here under Conte or as youth coaches first. The role is basically a glorified head scout (with some youth management), and that isn’t their strengths. 

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

My opinion is that someone like Drogba or Lamps should coach here under Conte or as youth coaches first. The role is basically a glorified head scout (with some youth management), and that isn’t their strengths. 

Yeah valid points, it’s a difficult role to fill to be honest but I’d like to see us go for a Chelsea man if possible. Suppose if we get Campos and can make a valid first team path for guys with potential fair enough good move but time will tell.

I love this text from an interview with Campos back in March/April because it's so relevant in the case of Chelsea (although we also currently lack excellent forwards to play with Eden and Alvaro):

“It may happen, but I think most English clubs do not know how to recruit for an issue that I almost think is cultural as almost everyone makes the same mistake. English clubs really, really like top attacking players, yet to a large extent make them play alongside medium-quality defences. And that, in my opinion, explains their relative lack of success in European competitions despite them spending exorbitant sums in recent years.

“Successfully building a good team project always involves the ability of players to relate and ‘match’ to each other. In the Premier League there is a big difference between great talents, and the medium quality of support for the same offensive talent. Most teams lack great defenders, and defensive midfielders.

“So I do not know if they would understand me culturally. The great forwards who are already in the Premier League would be even better if they had the support of great full backs, for example. And how many great full backs are there in England? Right now, maybe just Tottenham’s.”

-Luis Campos; source: Yahoo Sport

When it comes to football, it's hard not to trust figures who've spent the time getting the exact fit of glasses to compliment their face. Astute.
(If Klopp had Harry Potter glasses he'd be fired.)

DOdByoFX4AAPyRF.jpg

On 14.11.2017 at 6:13 PM, quickpassnmove said:

I love this text from an interview with Campos back in March/April because it's so relevant in the case of Chelsea (although we also currently lack excellent forwards to play with Eden and Alvaro):

“It may happen, but I think most English clubs do not know how to recruit for an issue that I almost think is cultural as almost everyone makes the same mistake. English clubs really, really like top attacking players, yet to a large extent make them play alongside medium-quality defences. And that, in my opinion, explains their relative lack of success in European competitions despite them spending exorbitant sums in recent years.

“Successfully building a good team project always involves the ability of players to relate and ‘match’ to each other. In the Premier League there is a big difference between great talents, and the medium quality of support for the same offensive talent. Most teams lack great defenders, and defensive midfielders.

“So I do not know if they would understand me culturally. The great forwards who are already in the Premier League would be even better if they had the support of great full backs, for example. And how many great full backs are there in England? Right now, maybe just Tottenham’s.”

-Luis Campos; source: Yahoo Sport

But is that true? I think for chelsea at least there has to be an exception. We always had good defences stacked with quality cbs like jt, carvalho, alex, luiz and fullbacks like cole, azpi, luis, prime ferreira, prime iva and dms like kante, ess, maka. As for attackers the only absolute worldclass ones in the last 10 years were Lamps, drogs and Hazard. Robben and kdb we lost to early and diego, morata, mata were or are not quite that level

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

But is that true? I think for chelsea at least there has to be an exception. We always had good defences stacked with quality cbs like jt, carvalho, alex, luiz and fullbacks like cole, azpi, luis, prime ferreira, prime iva and dms like kante, ess, maka. As for attackers the only absolute worldclass ones in the last 10 years were Lamps, drogs and Hazard. Robben and kdb we lost to early and diego, morata, mata were or are not quite that level

Definitely true for our fullbacks. Maybe the last time our fullbacks were great was A.Cole and Ivanovic but you are talking under Benitez at the latest. Arguably before. But crucially, are wbs right now need serious upgrading

14 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

JT was great; no question there. However, the other centre back with him hasn't been top European quality for a long while and our fullbacks/wingbacks are nowhere near what they should be.

Centre midfield: year after year, I think this is also a weakness at Chelsea and only recently it's been covered up by the fact that we acquired Kante in summer 2016. There was a big drop off after Makelele and although we wouldn't have been expected to find another Claude Makelele, our CM was still relatively WEAK on complete footballing ability (see Barca, Madrid, Juve, Bayern, and others in England, etc. since 2007), I think we should have had better all-round centre midfielders during every season since Claude left (along with DEPTH).

So, YES, what Campos stated is true of Chelsea for most of the last 10 years. While Man Utd have struggled to make the next generation of fullbacks and centre midfielders work for them, they've spent far too much on attacking midfielders without backing them up with quality from behind.

It's clear that Pep has had a different set of priorities. I would argue that our own Antonio would mostly build from the back too, but Chelsea haven't acquired enough since his arrival.

Watch them within just 2 seasons drop from 2nd-best team in the league to behind Lyon, trying to match Marseille's level. It's going to be depressing, but it won't all be Michael - it's down to the club's selling (players) & recruitment policy (personnel, not player) as a whole.

8 minutes ago, Leif said:

Watch them within just 2 seasons drop from 2nd-best team in the league to behind Lyon, trying to match Marseille's level. It's going to be depressing, but it won't all be Michael - it's down to the club's selling (players) & recruitment policy (personnel, not player) as a whole.

They already are behind Lyon, IMO. Lyon are more impressive side this season.

33 minutes ago, pHaRaOn said:

emenalo-9714.jpg

AS Monaco is delighted to announce the appointment of Michael Emenalo as new sporting director.

http://www.asmonaco.com/en/article/michael-emenalo-new-as-monaco-sporting-director-10938.html

It is entirely my decision and it has come about for very simple reasons. I need an opportunity to get to see my young kids grow and also to step back and reflect on the work that I have done here and the things that we have been able to accomplish together in this great club.   

-_-

Everybody at Chelsea Football Club has been deeply saddened to learn of the passing of our former Academy and reserve team coach Dermot Drummy.

Dermot, who was 56, was a popular figure at both Stamford Bridge and Cobham during his time with Chelsea between 2007 and 2014.

What happend?! :blink::(

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/11/dermot-drummy.html