The Board

I don't know how much Marina knows about football (because her background is business, not football, not because she's a woman).  I know that deals take forever to get done, but I can't really argue with the fees we pay and receive.

60M for Oscar

60M for Costa who had burned his bridges and made it clear he was only going to one place.

here's a crazy idea: you negotiate and close any deals *prior* to when the transfer window opens; only making them official during the window. Then, even (gasp!) when you cannot land the initial targets, say they prefer to go elsewhere, you have time to seek alternatives. :rolleyes:

Considering the way we respect the absolute rule of law, the FFP, it seems we are unable to talk to players or agents until the window officially opens...

Lampard does not rule out filling the vacant technical director role, but admits that being Chelsea manager would be his dream job

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11119366/frank-lampard-keeps-chelsea-options-open-after-michael-emenalo-exit

5 hours ago, the wes said:

Lampard does not rule out filling the vacant technical director role, but admits that being Chelsea manager would be his dream job

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11119366/frank-lampard-keeps-chelsea-options-open-after-michael-emenalo-exit

Well everyone needs to take steps. Being technical director, and then waiting for the next manager of ours to be sacked, would give him that opening as interim manager.
He should go for it. I've full faith he can get up to speed re: the technical director role quickly. And i'm pretty sure potential transfer targets could have a 'thing' for clubs that actually keep their legends around. An example being, knowing that Real Madrid still keep Raul around would make me/others feel more assured that we're joining a quality arrangement. Faces you grew up watching being staff at the club you're playing for is surely going to give a beautiful tingly feeling.

3 hours ago, the wes said:

ESPN have a good show about football, but not much otherwise. Guess they couldn't grab the rights for La Liga, Serie A, etc. because they have all that college throwball coverage.

The situation at Chelsea needs to change.

Emanalo wasn't good enough.

What the hell is Marina going to do before next month or January?

I would have interrupted Gab to ask: "Who is the dumbass of Chelsea Football Club that allowed de Bruyne to leave without a buyback clause???"

Emenalo leaving for me is a move in the right direction.

We can always remember the players he’s signed who were successes, high profit sales, trophies weve won while he’s been in that role etc etc.

Some things seem quite impressive in retrospect but let’s be honest, the way we went about in the transfer market after winning the CL and at the start of Jose’s second season back in charge was how we should of approached every summer, we wanted somebody and we got them signed very quickly or if somebody wasn’t attainable we got somebody else of similar quality.

We had two huge summers after wining the league a few seasons back and last season, to cement ourselves again as the top team in the league, knowing everybody in top 4 or Top 6 would strengthen, his performance along with Marina in both of those summers was extremely questionable and poor in both summers. Various pundits and other managers had said that both those Chelsea teams could be a dominant force for years if I remember correctly. We were favourites to retain the title both seasons after romping to the league eventually but again the buck falls with Emenalo and Marina for the shocking recruitment and strategy in those windows. I mean even the guys we signed this summer, how long did it take to actually complete the deal for Bakayoko? For Morata? To make bids for Alex Sandro? I think MG has to go end of the season. New blood is needed, I don’t think somebody necessarily needs to be a technical director and not somebody like Frank who has 0 experience in a coaching or technical director role unfortunately, unless he works with somebody more experienced for a while to get to grips with it. It’s a pity, I think somebody like Steve Clarke or Gianfranco Zola would be a good choice for such a role, both have managerial experience and have worked with technical directors at clubs in the past. Don’t think it would happen but would be popular I’m sure.

Readers of the Sunday Times learn the following:

Chelsea have approached Luis Campos, the man regarded as European football’s most accomplished talent scout, to replace Michael Emenalo as the club’s technical director.

Identifying and then recruiting the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Thomas Lemar, Anthony Martial, Benjamin Mendy, Bernardo Silva, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Fabinho, Campos built a Monaco squad capable of dethroning Paris Saint-Germain as French champions while also generating unprecedented sums in transfer fees.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/chelsea-want-jose-mourinhos-ex-senior-scout-replace-michael-emenalo/amp/

we need to get this guy hes done great work at Monaco 

A few things. Never heard of Luis Campos until now, but if his credentials are true, I don't think any of us need to know much more about him. With that said,

A quick Google search shows that last year, apparently Mourinho wanted to bring him in to United. That, and maybe this, is lazy journalism putting 2 + 2 together. An article in 2015 does say though that Mourinho & him are close. So why didn't he get him? (Also worth mentioning, he worked at Real Madrid, and didn't exactly discover any gems for them. Bigger clubs just don't ask for unheard of gems, even if they give the impression that's what they want.)

This sounds too good to be true, presuming he wouldn't be shackled and whipped into submission here.

6 minutes ago, Leif said:

A few things. Never heard of Luis Campos until now, but if his credentials are true, I don't think any of us need to know much more about him. With that said,

A quick Google search shows that last year, apparently Mourinho wanted to bring him in to United. That, and maybe this, is lazy journalism putting 2 + 2 together. An article in 2015 does say though that Mourinho & him are close. So why didn't he get him? (Also worth mentioning, he worked at Real Madrid, and didn't exactly discover any gems for them. Bigger clubs just don't ask for unheard of gems, even if they give the impression that's what they want.)

This sounds too good to be true, presuming he wouldn't be shackled and whipped into submission here.

Read the article link I posted up there, has a lot of background knowledge. Used to be Jose’s head opposition scout at Real Madrid before he started his Monaco project. 

To be honest, all this talk of Luis Campos and what he’s done for Monaco in a similar role is a good thing sure but let’s not forget the other variables, like Jardim playing these young guys every week for 2/3 seasons in a league renowned for bringing through youth players, do you think those guys would get the same development in the PL? Even then some of these talents/less known players like like Sibide and Bakayoko all had a good bit of first team experience at other clubs prior to moves to there.

Sure Campos has a good eye for talent but guys like Mbappe, Fabinho, Martial, Mendy werent exactly unknowns were they? They had the right place to develop, I don’t think youth scouting is our issue or ever wikl be, as we’ve seen with the club identifying guys like Courtois, KdB, Christensen, Lukaku, Musonda etc. our path to get people into the first team is the issue.

Also the problem we’ve had recently is recruiting high profile targets: John Stones, Alex Sandro, Chamberlain, Llorente, Barkley, Bonucci and whoever else over the last 3-4 years etc. I think the club has enough lure to a point, but imagine a Zola, a Drogba, a Lampard, a Di Matteo,  somebody who’s been through it with Chelsea (experience working with a technical director would be useful) and can sell the club that little bit more because it’s their club so to speak. If we want to go the way of Monaco and build a young team with the potential to win the league 3/4 years down the like then yes sign him up and listen to him but the big man upstairs and senior players want to compete for titles.