Official: David Luiz departs for PSG

David Luiz has passed a medical and agreed terms with Paris Saint-Germain ahead of his reported £50m switch from Chelsea.

Both Chelsea FC and and PSG have confirmed the deal and Luiz has completed his medical. David will be joining up with his new team after the World Cup.

David Luiz had these words to say on his Facebook page:

Thanks Chelsea for the three and half years of great partnership.

I've made good friends, won many titles and those memories will last with me for ever.

I'd like to thank my team mates, all staff and all supporters (my geezers).

I'm leaving with great sadness but at the same time excited for the new challenge that lies ahead in this great club in a city that have always enchanted me.

It's a new stage, new challenge and together we will go even further.

Allez Paris!

From everyone at TalkChelsea we would like to thank you for you service to the club and want to wish you best for the future!

Click here to view the article

So sad to see him go. It's just...ahh. I hope he's happy and succeeds at his new club, he is an amazing guy and at a team like Paris he'll be able to exhibit his world class talent. Thank you so much for everything, David. We love you.

I think its a sad thing Luiz departed after this mediocre season, and its even more sad that his last two games as a Chelsea player were the loss to Atletico de Madrid, and the depressing match against Norwich, but he managed to become the most expensive defender in the world, it means we are getting twice the price we paid for Benfica 3 and half years ago, so at least the stupid talk about Luiz being a waste of money will stop.

Actually he became the most profitable Chelsea signing ever.

I will always remember his performance in UCL Final, easily the peak of his Chelsea career.

Never forget that night in Munich, what a game he had!

I think this is a good sale. Luiz's errors this year cost us at least 5 points. He has proved he doesn't have the concentration and positioning to be a great CB at Chelsea.

Rotate JT, Cahill, Kalas as CB's. Move Azpilicueta to RB with Ivanovic to play CB/RB. New LB to arrive..

I think this is a good sale. Luiz's errors this year cost us at least 5 points. He has proved he doesn't have the concentration and positioning to be a great CB at Chelsea.

Rotate JT, Cahill, Kalas as CB's. Move Azpilicueta to RB with Ivanovic to play CB/RB. New LB to arrive..

What about the points he has won? By that logic, we should be selling JT after that own goal...

What about the points he has won? By that logic, we should be selling JT after that own goal...

We had a higher win percentage without Luiz in our team this season, as well as 45% clean sheet record when he was there, compared to a 57% when he didn't play.

I love David, but these stats are telling.

We had a higher win percentage without Luiz in our team this season, as well as 45% clean sheet record when he was there, compared to a 57% when he didn't play.

I love David, but these stats are telling.

Those stats can be misleading. There are 11 players in a team when that happens.

I'm not against the deal because at the end of the day I'd sell him without thinking twice if anyone offered 50mill, but I'm against the fact that people say he can't be a great CB. Minute errors are magnified, while it isn't the same for the rest.

a tottenham high line, a chelsea low line or a barca no line, now it simply does not matter. the only person whose opinion mattered was jose and he thinks luiz is not the guy for us.

DL is a GREAT FOOTBALLER (great defender?, i am still not sure) but as a CHELSEA defender, he barely could be counted as GOOD. and that is the most important thing. he simply was not the defender for us.

his "minute" errors are the things that our system does not allow. we play a very rigid and organized way with very little margin for error (look at the ATM 2nd leg, one "minute" mistake from EH17 had a catastrophic effect). hence, makes perfect sense to let go off a defender who simply did not play that way.