Homegrown status

We have 19 non-HG players in the squad but we can only register 17. Which 2 players would you get rid off to stay within the limits?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. We have 19 non-HG players in the squad but we can only register 17. Which 2 players would you get rid off to stay within the limits?

Marco is not U21. He's born in December. Had he been born in Jan, he would have still been counted as U21.

I am not really sure that it work like that. To my knowledge, the important thing is the age you have when you register to the League. So, when your club registers you to the FA before the start of the league you are 21, you thus count as a U21 player for the whole season, even if you turn 22 two days after the start of the season.

Maybe it changed recently, but I am pretty sure it work like this. At least, it was the case with Oscar last year when he turned 22 in september though was counted as U21. It was also the case with Sturridge, despite being 22 years old, he was still counted as a U21 player because he was 21 when registered to the League (if I am not 100% sure about Oscar case, I am dead certain on this). And if I remind correctly, it is also why Mata was able to participate to a U21 competition despite being 23, because when he registered for the qualification, he was 21.

So I understand the age taken into account is the age you have when you register to X competition ; this mean he should count as U21 the whole season...

Nevermind, got this :

an Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences.

So for 2014-15, players aged 21 or lower on 1st Jan 2014 shall qualify. MvG's DoB is 01/12/92 so he'll be counted as u21.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really sure that it work like that. To my knowledge, the important thing is the age you have when you register to the League. So, when your club registers you to the FA before the start of the league you are 21, you thus count as a U21 player for the whole season, even if you turn 22 two days after the start of the season.

Maybe it changed recently, but I am pretty sure it work like this. At least, it was the case with Oscar last year when he turned 22 in september though was counted as U21. It was also the case with Sturridge, despite being 22 years old, he was still counted as a U21 player because he was 21 when registered to the League (if I am not 100% sure about Oscar case, I am dead certain on this). And if I remind correctly, it is also why Mata was able to participate to a U21 competition despite being 23, because when he registered for the qualification, he was 21.

So I understand the age taken into account is the age you have when you register to X competition ; this mean he should count as U21 the whole season...

No, I'm pretty sure that players for next season are counted as U21 if they are born after January 1993. That has always been the case for the U21s as far as I know.

For example for the 12-13 season it was players who are born after Jan 1991: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2012-13/sep/premier-league-squad-lists-201213.html

Here's another source:

"Clubs will be able to supplement their squads with unlimited additional players under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences."

http://www.epfl-europeanleagues.com/quota_for_Premier_League.htm

Nevermind, got this :

So for 2014-15, players aged 21 or lower on 1st Jan 2014 shall qualify. MvG's DoB is 01/12/92 so he'll be counted as u21.

How did you arrive at that conclusion? :lol:

He turned 21 in December 2013, how was he "under 21" in Jan 2014?!

For those who want to check the FA rules:

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT RULES
SEASON 2013/14
Definition 2.2:

"the age group into which each Academy Player shall be placed shall be determined by his age on 31 August in the year in question, save in the case of players in the Under 21 age group, who must be under the age of 21 as at 1 January in the year in which the Season concerned commences (ie for Season 2013/14 born on or after 1 January 1992)."

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/other/youth-development-rules-2013-2014.pdf

Yeah, Marco is definitely not U21.

Have you not noticed the rules while playing FM? :P

You only seem to get abuse on this forum for playing FM, so people probably keep it quiet. "Chelsea to sign Luis and Costa from Atletico? Get off FM/FIFA!!!"

As a side note, seeing as i've never concentrated on the HG player rule this much before, when the final squad list is released, is it released to the public?

Yeah, all the squads are published on the EPL website including the players status and all the U21 players as well.

As a side note, seeing as i've never concentrated on the HG player rule this much before, when the final squad list is released, is it released to the public?

Never mind not concentrating on the rules, you should concentrate on the news. If you play FM, you'll know about it. :P

It will be published on the club's website and the PL will also do the same on their site. Same thing applies for the CL squad as well - club and UEFA do it.

I think this needs to be looked at again...

Goalies: Petr Cech; Thibault Courtois; Mark Schwarzer

Defenders: John Terry(HG); Gary Cahill(HG); Cesar Azpilicueta; Filipe Luis; Branislav Ivanovic; Nathan Ake(HG)

Midfielders: Eden Hazard; Oscar; Ramires; Nemanja Matic; John Obi Mikel; Andre Schürrle; Cesc Fabregas(HG); Marco Van Ginkel; Oriol Romeu; Mohamed Salah; Willian;

Forwards: Diego Costa; Romelu Lukaku(HG); Didier Drogba; Fernando Torres

This just doesn't seem to make a hell of a lot of sense now does it? 19 players who count as foreigners the max is 17.

Hmm...Provided we're really keeping both goalkeepers, there aren't many players who can leave. Defenders aren't leaving, so that leaves only midfielders and forwards. Unless Torres is sold(which is hard to believe, considering his wages), it means the players who have to leave will be midfielders. Two of Mikel/Salah/Romeu/MVG will likely be sold or loaned out. Hope not MVG.

I think this needs to be looked at again...

Goalies: Petr Cech; Thibault Courtois; Mark Schwarzer

Defenders: John Terry(HG); Gary Cahill(HG); Cesar Azpilicueta; Filipe Luis; Branislav Ivanovic; Nathan Ake(HG)

Midfielders: Eden Hazard; Oscar; Ramires; Nemanja Matic; John Obi Mikel; Andre Schürrle; Cesc Fabregas(HG); Marco Van Ginkel; Oriol Romeu; Mohamed Salah; Willian;

Forwards: Diego Costa; Romelu Lukaku(HG); Didier Drogba; Fernando Torres

This just doesn't seem to make a hell of a lot of sense now does it? 19 players who count as foreigners the max is 17.

done!!! or maybe cech is sold too after recent occurences!!!

Added in a poll regarding the non-HG players in the squad - "We have 19 non-HG players but we can only register 17 players. Which 2 players would you get rid off to stay within the limits?"

Just for the record, I know some of the players are unlikely to leave or be sold but added all of them in for formality purpose. And heck, it might even stir some interesting discussions if someone made a controversial vote. :ph34r: