Post-season review - Chelsea 2013/14

BlueLion.

Success or Failure?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel the season went? Rate out of 5...

• 1/5 - a terrible season, we fell well short of expectations.
    • 2/5 - not a great season. Some positives but overall a disappointment.
    • 3/5 - average. Not bad for a team in transition but would have liked some silverware nonetheless!
    • 4/5 - good. A positive blueprint for the future has been laid, and there were some famous wins as well (6-0 vs Arsenal, 2-0 vs PSG, etc.)
    • 5/5 - exceeding expectations! I didn't think we'd come close to achieving what we did! Bring on next season!

Success for me is Jose coming back home. He'll take it from here.

I just wonder if those guys blaming Jose in his first season (with a pretty average squad) will have the guts to open this topic in four of five years from now on.

No need to wait for that.

If next season we are still horrible, mourinho would just walk away.

But I have full confidence that next season we will be much better.

It's neither to me. Real success would have been winning the league/CL, failure would have been no progression as a team and struggling to keep our place in the top 4. Jose has done what I expected him to do in bringing us up a level as a team and has built solid foundations for the future. He will make additions in the summer (his recent striker comments confirm it really, can't help but feel strarting Schurrle instead of Torres sends a powerful message to the board that a true CF is needed).

I suppose we all have different definitions of failure, some might argue that any season where we don't win silverware is automatically deemed a failure. Whilst I agree witht the sentiment that we should be striving to win titles every season, it doesn't - at least in my view - automatically mean that we must categorise a barren season as a failure.

The squad needs work, it isn't complete. People on this forum know this, match going Chelsea fans know this but, most importantly, Jose and the board surely know this. The necessary addditions and amendments to the squad will be made in the summer and that, combined with our current players gaining more experience/age, will mean that next season will see even bigger improvements.

I am just grateful that I can enjoy watching Chelsea again. People seem to have short memories but it was only last season when Benitez was here and the atmosphere at SB and even away games was...toxic, to say the least. No one likes losing and the mood on these boards (not just this forum, but football forums in general) is very fickle, a couple of poor results and the season is a failure, before that we were gunning for the title but now all hope is lost etc.?

We are in a good place.

A 14 match unbeaten run before the Palace game maybe?

Not worth it dude. These are the same guys who will be saying that the season is a success if we win against stoke and city and pool drop points to soton and whu (all 3 results very likely).

The mob is fickle. 3 losses in last 5 games in all competitions has sent most of them over the edge.

Irrespective of what happens in the next 7 (atleast) and hopefully more matches is irrelevant.

If u had asked me what the expectations werr before the start of the season, I would have said,

QF in CL (maybe Semis) but a lot depends on luck there.

in title race for PL.

One of the domestic cups.

The only disappoinment was the domestic cups. The sunderland match was a debacle while in the city game we were outplayed. So far we have acheived what we should have done.

Success for me is Jose coming back home. He'll take it from here.

I just wonder if those guys blaming Jose in his first season (with a pretty average squad) will have the guts to open this topic in four of five years from now on.

Avarage squad that end up in 3th last season in PL...okay.

The problem is that as seen many times it just becomes a way of trying to push back the issue of trying to give them chances into the squad for as long as possible. Taking the view that I think that the whole issue of expeirence is just a bollocks excuse that isused to try and justify why they can't get a run in the first team, the problem iswhen do we reach a point where they have the required 'experience' to be given a chance in the team. First its they have no experience at all, so they are shipped out to some lower division team, then its they have no top flight experience, so the club tries to ship them out to one, then its'but they don't have any experience playing for us' or no Champions league experience, so their chances are stalled again, then by that time we buy someone like Zouma (who lates faces was getting massive amounts of hype andalready has over 40 appearances in Ligue 1) who becuase we spent a hefty sum of money (both Zouma and Salah cost usover £20 million pounds) get priority andso we are back to square one.

In all honesty the same arguments are going back and forth and there is no point repeating them, the phase 'agree to disagree' comes to mind now.

Post of the century. The whole youth development policy is shambles. you can stockpile and loan out all the talented youngsters in europe but without conviction aka balls to introduce and embed them into the 1st team, it all counts for nothing. if our policy is to purely make profit off these youngsters then fine but I don't want to hear any bollocks from the club hierachy about the bullshit youth development that they have been spouting for near a decade.

Irrespective of what happens in the next 7 (atleast) and hopefully more matches is irrelevant.

If u had asked me what the expectations werr before the start of the season, I would have said,

in title race for PL.

The only disappoinment was the domestic cups. The sunderland match was a debacle while in the city game we were outplayed. So far we have acheived what we should have done.

in title race for PL.

Winning the League Cup wouldn't have made a difference in my mind with regard to the season being a success or a failure

Average squad? What? We lack striker, one CM short and average bench, BUT we have one of best defences in the world and attacking trio worth 90mio.

If anything we are making average results for how much the players cost. Its not Mou blame, its blame of players who cant step the fuck up when they should.

We finished 3rd last year with worse team. Its first season for Mou, getting new style, having back SB as fortress and being better in CL, but in league we should finish at least second no matter what. Mou could do better in certain games with tactics and subs, but when Oscar or Willian fuck up all our attacks with their bad decisions, Mou cant do nothing.

But in the end of the day, we are now counter attacking team. To have such style efficient you need;

1.) World class striker

2.) Full backs who can attack and defend

3.) CS is based on lot of defending, a good defence is key for tactics to succeed.

4.) CM pair who can spray and transport ball from defence to attack

5.) Attacking trio who makes intelligent runs, good decisions and creates chances.

What we have is only point 3. Everything else is still very weak here and needs improvement/investment. When we bought Hazard, Oscar and Willian, we expected point 5 to be completed, but so far Willian and Oscar aint intelligent nor creative enough to make difference on counters.

Average squad? What? We lack striker, one CM short and average bench, BUT we have one of best defences in the world and attacking trio worth 90mio.

If anything we are making average results for how much the players cost. Its not Mou blame, its blame of players who cant step the fuck up when they should.

We finished 3rd last year with worse team. Its first season for Mou, getting new style, having back SB as fortress and being better in CL, but in league we should finish at least second no matter what. Mou could do better in certain games with tactics and subs, but when Oscar or Willian fuck up all our attacks with their bad decisions, Mou cant do nothing.

But in the end of the day, we are now counter attacking team. To have such style efficient you need;

1.) World class striker

2.) Full backs who can attack and defend

3.) CS is based on lot of defending, a good defence is key for tactics to succeed.

4.) CM pair who can spray and transport ball from defence to attack

5.) Attacking trio who makes intelligent runs, good decisions and creates chances.

What we have is only point 3. Everything else is still very weak here and needs improvement/investment. When we bought Hazard, Oscar and Willian, we expected point 5 to be completed, but so far Willian and Oscar aint intelligent nor creative enough to make difference on counters.

Thats like spending another 100 million, like what we have been doing for a while but still we havent seen much improvement

What is Jose's excuse for not winning the league, he has twice the budget Rodgers has at Liverpool, they have had Suarez suspended for 5 games, Sturridge out for 8 weeks, Gerrard out for a month, did not strengthen in january, have an avearge defence but they are likely gonna win the league, dont give me tht b*llsh*t that its been close to a success, yes we have had improvements but we can also say that about last year, except we had a manager no one liked. If we finish 3rd its a failure, because we still have the same old problems we had a year ago when QPR beat us at the bridge, Rafa still managed to beat Man Utd not once but twice, drew with Pool, beat Arsenal, lost to city yes but we can argue we were unlucky in the FA cup when Kompany shld have been red carded and gotten a penalty. We have always performed well against big teams except in AVB's season. Rafa also drew against spurs,(Rafa got 3rd place without the budget Mourinho had) I am not supporting Rafa dont get me wrong but Mourinho has not been a saint like he wants us to see him as. He loaned Lukaku when every Chelsea fan knew Torres and Ba were not the answer.

Not worth it dude. These are the same guys who will be saying that the season is a success if we win against stoke and city and pool drop points to soton and whu (all 3 results very likely).

The mob is fickle. 3 losses in last 5 games in all competitions has sent most of them over the edge.

What? this season is a failure even if we get to CL final and lose and end up trophy less. TROPHY IS THE BAROMETER OF SUCCESS DUDE. Agreed just happened to be the 3 lost in the CRUCIAL PERIOD. It is like that 07-08 season all over again, just a draw to Wigan to end our title hope and a CL Final lost. Guess that season was a success too right because we came close in both competitions?

Maybe I am acting like a spoiling brat here but most of the fans would agree with me, our EXPECTATIONS AND AMBITIONS are high. We are not Arsenal who just wants a goof run in CL and top 4 every season. We want to be challenging and coming close to every single trophy possible.

A 14 match unbeaten run before the Palace game maybe?

Liverpool went on 7 games winning streak or so atm, Man City only lost like twice in the league in the last 5 months. Barca/Madrid/Atletico all winning like 85% of their games, Bayern finished the league in March. PSG more than 10 points clear at the top, Arsenal earlier this season also had a period similar to our own but then fked up against big teams and now only 3 POINTS BEHIND, YEP THAT IS RIGHT 3 FRICKING POINTS AFTER GETTING HAMMERED at 3 top teams. Btw, we lost to Villa like 2 weeks ago too...

What is Jose's excuse for not winning the league, he has twice the budget Rodgers has at Liverpool, they have had Suarez suspended for 5 games, Sturridge out for 8 weeks, Gerrard out for a month, did not strengthen in january, have an avearge defence but they are likely gonna win the league, dont give me tht b*llsh*t that its been close to a success, yes we have had improvements but we can also say that about last year, except we had a manager no one liked. If we finish 3rd its a failure, because we still have the same old problems we had a year ago when QPR beat us at the bridge, Rafa still managed to beat Man Utd not once but twice, drew with Pool, beat Arsenal, lost to city yes but we can argue we were unlucky in the FA cup when Kompany shld have been red carded and gotten a penalty. We have always performed well against big teams except in AVB's season. Rafa also drew against spurs,(Rafa got 3rd place without the budget Mourinho had) I am not supporting Rafa dont get me wrong but Mourinho has not been a saint like he wants us to see him as. He loaned Lukaku when every Chelsea fan knew Torres and Ba were not the answer.

Naaa not winning the league is fine for me, I think City was always gonna do it. Yep now apparently 'close' to success is OK for this club. Is this the same club that sacked Jose, Ancelotti, Scolari for signs of faltering or finishing 2nd? What has changed? We still spend more than £50m every year, now the expectations can drop too? It is not like we are signing Kim Kallstrom for fk sake, we are signing Eden Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Eto'o, Matic...etc in the last 2 years. Challenging the league is the VERY MINIMUM EXPECTED.

What is Jose's excuse for not winning the league,

There were better teams in the league than us. What's your excuse for not understanding that?

What's your excuse for not understanding than title-winning teams aren't built overnight but take time. What's your excuse eh?

And then there is this excuse about team not being 'good enough. HAHAHAHAHAHA BIGGEST RUBBISH EVER.

Cech- Declining but still up there with the very best in the world, the part that Courtois who is now probably 2nd best in the world can still put up a challenge with this guy means he must be up there otherwise he would have been gone long ago. Maybe De Gea and Begovic are slightly better atm but it is 'not good enough'.

Ivan-Fking hell if we were to sell him now Madrid, PSG...etc WOULD ALL JUMP IN FOR HIM. Why? Because he is ONE OF THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE LEAGUE. Scored the winner in the Europa league final too, also 'not good enough'?

Terry-Best season of his career up to date?

Cahill-Best English CB

Dave-Possibly the best defensive Spanish defender atm and up there with Shaw and Baines as best in the league

Matic-Possibly top 5 CDM in the world. Tell volumes when he is signed for 25m and we knew we were getting a bargain

Ramires-Not the best by any mean but along the fastest player in the league and hard worker. Capable of producing moments. Would get into probably all the teams in England bar Man City

Hazard- Need I say more?

Oscar-Brazil no1 at CAM, the position that they usually have the best in the world. He is NO 1 AT 22 and that speaks volume for itself.

Willian-OK hardly any end product but there is a reason why he was considered one of the best CAM in Europe a couple of years ago. Still better than most attacking mid in the league, again would get into any team apart from maybe City. The fact that both Spurs and Pool tried to sign him says it all

ST-OK SHIT but then again the 10 players in the team are better than almost every single team in the league bar 1-2 at best. MU IS THE ONLY OTHER TEAM that can claim they have a squad as good or better than our but they are fucking in 7th so it means they probably aren't.

Don't tell me Arsenal with Ozil(who has been terrible) and Pool with Suarez, Gerrard, Sturridge got a better team than us?

There were better teams in the league than us. What's your excuse for not understanding that?

What's your excuse for not understanding than title-winning teams aren't built overnight but take time. What's your excuse eh?

Who? City? yeh fair enough but Liverpool? The club that was in crisis a few months back and had to bring like 2 youngsters to the match against us because of injuries?

Liverpool seem to have built one with way less money and within a year whats Mou's excuse. Liverpool should not be better than us considering the money Mou spent not only in the summer but in January too. Even city, if we add up the summer and winter spneding we have actually outspent city but they have a better team than us with a worse manager.

Liverpool went on 7 games winning streak or so atm, Man City only lost like twice in the league in the last 5 months. Barca/Madrid/Atletico all winning like 85% of their games, Bayern finished the league in March. PSG more than 10 points clear at the top, Arsenal earlier this season also had a period similar to our own but then fked up against big teams and now only 3 POINTS BEHIND, YEP THAT IS RIGHT 3 FRICKING POINTS AFTER GETTING HAMMERED at 3 top teams. Btw, we lost to Villa like 2 weeks ago too...

You're not getting my point. You asked the difference between AVB's results and Jose's results, and I just pointed out that we were on a great run a few games before the CP loss.