Post-season review - Chelsea 2013/14

BlueLion.

Success or Failure?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel the season went? Rate out of 5...

• 1/5 - a terrible season, we fell well short of expectations.
    • 2/5 - not a great season. Some positives but overall a disappointment.
    • 3/5 - average. Not bad for a team in transition but would have liked some silverware nonetheless!
    • 4/5 - good. A positive blueprint for the future has been laid, and there were some famous wins as well (6-0 vs Arsenal, 2-0 vs PSG, etc.)
    • 5/5 - exceeding expectations! I didn't think we'd come close to achieving what we did! Bring on next season!

Is this a transitions season as Mourinho is saying?

We just dont know. We will get this answer next season. We just dont know if we are going to play a better football next season, better results, if we will improve from our 3rd place in PL and semi-finas in UCL, if our problems will get fixed.

Mourinho said that starting next season we will be tittle contenders from the go.

Not this one.

Fair enough.

He will be judge next season.

I think the season has been good - the EPL title is within our reach with two matches left and we got to the semifinals in the CL. However if we don't win a trophy, which is the likely outcome, a success would be a bit too much to describe the season. Positive is the right word here.

Its been a good season defensively, but a massive failure offensively.

We have been able to create a system of counter attack that only works against the big teams, but falters so often against smaller sides.

A striker not being WC must be mentioned, and that might change certain dynamics next season.

We have become slower paced throughout the game, this season, which is a massive negative.

Counter attacks rely on alot of things happening simultaneously, which makes this style wrong as a sole approach to a game.

People should be saying we play really good football, and then saying that when we counter attack, we are an unstoppable force.

At the moment, Jose's style is to try and be both, an immovable object, and then transition into an unstoppable force on the counter.

You cant have both, A bus and a ferrari.

OK. Bottomline for me. The questions that will be answered next season are 1. Does Jose even want to play attacking good football 2. Roman wants good football 3. When we come up against a top team, will we always sit back or actually beat them well, not only tactically.

Its not wrong in a few games to take a certain approach, but please god, i dont want to watch any more buses being parked, we are a billion pound team, surely we can play footy, to beat someone without buses being involved. That is my only wish.

Simply because of that, this season is neither. Benefit of Doubt goes to Jose. Next season, no benefit of doubt. If we keep parking buses, then thats a failure for me.

This season has been a result of an average Transfer window after we won the CL! you see we let experienced player go like Drogba, Kalou, Bosingwa, Meireles Malouda, Essien plus Lukaku out on loan and then a bad injury for Romeu which left us very short on numbers in CM! then Sturridge sold the following January. and replaced them with too much mediocrity! Hazard, Oscar and Azpi were of course great signings, but all 3 are young and are still developing! then the mediocre signings of Marin, Moses and recalling Benayoun!

Then the Interim one comes in and was just looking to beef up his Cv! he didnt care about the long term and only focused on the short term success! So this season Jose has been cleaning up Rafa's mess, Jose inherited a team with no balance! and no identity! Jose came in got rid of the dead wood and signed Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Willian and Eto'o! and recalled De Bruyne who had no impact, Van Ginkel got a bad injury and the other 3 all took months to adapt and settle into the team! We then sold Mata in January (who our team was built around under Rafa, so that shows how much Jose had to change the team) then we signed Matic and Salah, both cup tied for the CL and Jose said himself they are signings for next season!

It took Jose 6 months of the season to make this team evolve into a much better defensive unit and counter attacking team! which is remarkable as i really doubt any other manager could have sorted us out that quickly!

You see this whole season has really been a clean up mission from the Rafa era! Jose has transformed this team and has a great base to build off next season! our main problems dont need another year of transition to fix now, a few signings and sales and some players on loan returning and we will have a squad capable of doing great things next season!

A world class Striker - Costa or Cavani

A very good back up - Mandzukic or Doumbia

A top class CM - Vidal, Rakitic, Kroos or Paulinho

A Top Class LB - Rodriguez or Moreno

Maybe another AM if one leaves like Reus, Hamsik or Lavezzi

Then a few out on loan returning

Courtois, Zouma, Lukaku

and maybe one of Bertrand Traore/T.Hazard/Atsu/Piazon coming in to make the step up.

no, Rafa did a great job here.

the style we play is really that that difficult to accomplish. What Jose fails to understand is that; although winning is the ultimate goal, winning by playing too defensive takes the fun out of the game.

Mourinho has been a massive failure since his return, Benitez did more in 8 months under pressure than his managed considering he spent 100 million

so tell me HOW exactly has jose been a massive failure. please enlighten me!!!

so tell me HOW exactly has jose been a massive failure. please enlighten me!!!

Trophyless, small fall outs with Torres, Eto'o, Hazard, Cole and Oscar at some point(still small for now but might not be in the summer if one of Hazard/Oscar are sold), sell Mata(OK might not be that bad but still), making Ramires a dirty player, didn't recall Courtois(again not that bad), refusing to sign Cavani/Costa last summer and instead chose Eto'o and Willian when we already had Kevin here then end up signing Salah to replace him anyway.

Nothing surprising for me, I've said it in the beginning of the season that we would struggle againt the average teams as they are much less naïve that his first time in Chelsea. The legacy of Mourinho of deep and organized defense, letting the ball to the opponent and the struggle against them for a Mourinho team was just as predicted.

Trophyless, small fall outs with Torres, Eto'o, Hazard, Cole and Oscar at some point(still small for now but might not be in the summer if one of Hazard/Oscar are sold), sell Mata(OK might not be that bad but still), making Ramires a dirty player, didn't recall Courtois(again not that bad), refusing to sign Cavani/Costa last summer and instead chose Eto'o and Willian when we already had Kevin here then end up signing Salah to replace him anyway.

this was a TRANSITIONAL season for us.

funfact, we will have lost about 7-10 players that started our current season. mata and kdb were not jose players. we are building for the future and considering how much part the likes of schurrle and willian have taken to mata/kdb, it should not be a suprise. we did try to buy rooney and when he dint come, we were stuck with ba and torres.

buy costa in the summer. yes i am sure you would have been the one who were crying off rooftops to sign a 24 year old striker who has had one good season (good not great) in his entire career and that too on the wings as falcao was their main man.

making rambo a dirty player - so did jose tell rambo to try and break al ahmadi's leg? :lol:

so since he had "apparent" fall outs with players, its a MASSIVE failure? :lol:

so if we had won the carling cup, would this season have been a success? how big a success?

TBH, if Benetiz was 3rd place again this season and lost in the semis and all our cup tournaments, would fans still want him?

I personally dont think Mourinho was a failure, however, I don't think he was a success. I would give him 1 more season with 2 more transfer windows to figure it out.

this was a TRANSITIONAL season for us.

funfact, we will have lost about 7-10 players that started our current season. mata and kdb were not jose players. we are building for the future and considering how much part the likes of schurrle and willian have taken to mata/kdb, it should not be a suprise. we did try to buy rooney and when he dint come, we were stuck with ba and torres.

buy costa in the summer. yes i am sure you would have been the one who were crying off rooftops to sign a 24 year old striker who has had one good season (good not great) in his entire career and that too on the wings as falcao was their main man.

making rambo a dirty player - so did jose tell rambo to try and break al ahmadi's leg? :lol:

so since he had "apparent" fall outs with players, its a MASSIVE failure? :lol:

so if we had won the carling cup, would this season have been a success? how big a success?

If we have won any trophy the season would be a success no matter how small the trophy is. Transitional which we still managed to defeat 2 potential champion teams home and away+ beating the likes of Spurs and Arsenal 4/6-0? If by transitional it means struggling to find a way to break small teams down then I am lost for words. We should know they would have never let Rooney go especially since Moyes just came in and you think his 1st act is to sell one of his best player?

Yh he probably told him to be more aggressive so Ramires started to get into more of those regularly. No the fallout reason doesn't make it a massive failure, all of these factors together does. Tell me what success we have apart from record against top 4-5 teams?

If we have won any trophy the season would be a success no matter how small the trophy is. Transitional which we still managed to defeat 2 potential champion teams home and away+ beating the likes of Spurs and Arsenal 4/6-0? If by transitional it means struggling to find a way to break small teams down then I am lost for words. We should know they would have never let Rooney go especially since Moyes just came in and you think his 1st act is to sell one of his best player?

Yh he probably told him to be more aggressive so Ramires started to get into more of those regularly. No the fallout reason doesn't make it a massive failure, all of these factors together does. Tell me what success we have apart from record against top 4-5 teams?

dude, let me explain it to you properly then that how its a sucess.

first of all, getting a trophy "however small" does not make a season a success. or wait!!! do u think united have had a better season than us since we were trophyless and united won the community shield??? HUH???

if we beat pool and city and arsenal and spurs, it changes the fact that we are in transition? :lol: sunderland beat city at stadium of light, beat united twice in the season, beat us twice in the season, so u would call them a "big team", :lol:. from the start of the season we have already lost mata, kdb, essien. we will probably let go off etoo, torres, ba, mikel, bertrand, lamps and cole. which would take the tally to 10 players changed between the start of 2 season. but somehow its not tranistional for u? we could not beat palace, villa, sunderland, wba, whu, norwich, stoke cos we have a problem in our squad known as a goal-scoring striker. moreover, any squad takes time to acclimitize itseld to a type of play. how many years were bayern useless before they came to the fore again. it has been one season where we reached the CL semi and 3rd place of PL with no striker that can score more than 10 goals.

so u mean rambo has taken a red card only this year. when he took a red card last year against aston villa with our top 4 spot on the line, jose must have called him up from madrid to play more aggresively, right?

Btw interestingly enough if someone told us 2 years after that night in Munich we would only win Europa league and Mata would be sold, what do you guys think we would have reacted like? Cannot believe it that is for sure so it is OK to write this season off but since winning the CL this 'transitional' period is a failure.