Most overrated Players ever

TheWiz

People calling Giggs and Scholes overrated are being really harsh. Giggs is the best Welsh player of all time and won't ever be challenged on that front, while Scholes was definitely among the best midfielders in the world at his peak. Plus their longevity is extraordinary, they were mainstays in one of the best teams in Europe for pretty much two decades. How many other footballers can claim that? Javier Zanetti and Paolo Maldini are all I can think of from the modern period.

Ian Rush > Giggs

Scholes isn't overrated.

Over 35 players that were still solid in the last two decades: Nesta, Cannavarro, Materazzi, Totti, Puyol, Riquelme, Baresi, Matthuas, Bergomi,

Alvaro Recoba. He was crazily talented and could pull off the most outrageous manoeuvers, score some really spectacular goals:

But most of the time he was a waster. Amazing on his day, which only happened about once a month; terrible the rest of the time. He could have been Ronaldo (fat, not Cristiano) tier if he was more consistent. I consider him to be overrated because he was a star player in the Serie A back when it was far and away the best league in the world and so many consider him to be among the top five or ten strikers of the 90s/early 00s, but quite a few strikers from weaker leagues were better than him, and they never got the recognition because they didn't play in Italy.

Alvaro Recoba

Striker

Pick one.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manuel Neuer is perhaps the most overrated player I have ever come across in my entire life. I have yet to see him have even a 'good' game. I've mainly watched him in the big games (the two against us, against City, Dortmund, Real Madrid etc.) and he may as well have not been in goal for any of them.

Maybe he's great in the Bundesliga, but he's certainly not a big game player. He was made look like a joke against Madrid, geting beat at his near post and all. Best keeper in the world? Don't make me laugh. Not even in the top 5. Courtois pisses all over him, he's 10 times the keeper he is.

People calling Giggs and Scholes overrated are being really harsh. Giggs is the best Welsh player of all time and won't ever be challenged on that front, while Scholes was definitely among the best midfielders in the world at his peak. Plus their longevity is extraordinary, they were mainstays in one of the best teams in Europe for pretty much two decades. How many other footballers can claim that? Javier Zanetti and Paolo Maldini are all I can think of from the modern period.

I suppose you have never heard of John Charles but ask about him in Italy .

:D .. I knew someones going to batter me for that, buy yes. I mean the guy had some instinct for goals yes .. but beside of that .. nothing that would make me even consider implementing him in a squad, if i were manager.

Ballack was the prototypical box-to-box midfielder who would play wherever you used him and who was able to adept to every position you put him in. Not only was he an amazing player in his prime but he was also one of the greatest leaders on the pitch (Germany has been crying out for such a player ever since he didn't feature for the national team anymore). How can you not build a team around him, let alone not implement him?

Is this a real thread or a troll one? I'm seeing some all-time greats being called "overrated".

Anyway, I'm going for most overrated player high profile player today and my pick is Neymar.

I don't feel his overrated. People don't put him in the world class bracket. They put in him the potential world class bracket and I feel that is the right place for him.

I don't feel his overrated. People don't put him in the world class bracket. They put in him the potential world class bracket and I feel that is the right place for him.

The Brazilian coach says he is the 3rd best player in the world. Same thing with Tata Martino when in reality, he is no better than Pedro or Alexis. He was voted 5th in the Ballon d'Or (seriously?) and continually gets nominated for the Puskas award despite being nominated for just "ok" goals. He certainly has "an entourage" behind him, like Mourinho will say. He is Brazil's new poster child but pales in comparison to the true greats like Romario, Ronaldo and Rivaldo, though he has more marketability. The Brazilians call him Neymidia for a reason.

Speaking of Brazil, just skimming through Globo Esporte on a regular basis like I do, it's clear that a sizable portion of Brazilian fans think he is a very overrated player and they don't buy the propaganda their sports media propagates when they paint Neymar as a "crack".

Cantona comes mind, but im not sure - because he seems most famous for his Fist- and Kickskills.

And I agree with Neymar ... also overrated.

Manuel Neuer is perhaps the most overrated player I have ever come across in my entire life. I have yet to see him have even a 'good' game. I've mainly watched him in the big games (the two against us, against City, Dortmund, Real Madrid etc.) and he may as well have not been in goal for any of them.

Maybe he's great in the Bundesliga, but he's certainly not a big game player. He was made look like a joke against Madrid, geting beat at his near post and all. Best keeper in the world? Don't make me laugh. Not even in the top 5. Courtois pisses all over him, he's 10 times the keeper he is.

I respectfully have to disagree. He's absolutely outstanding in everything he does. Every goalkeeper is capable of getting beat at his near post. Joe Hart and Cech are both absolute suckers for it.

I respectfully have to disagree. He's absolutely outstanding in everything he does. Every goalkeeper is capable of getting beat at his near post. Joe Hart and Cech are both absolute suckers for it.

He's a fantastic sweeper keeper, but that is as far as I can compliment him insofar as the big games go. I just haven't seen enough from him in those game for him to be crowned 'the best keeper in the world'. No way. If Courtois does either the CL and/or La Liga, I think there's no disputing who the best keeper has been for the past year...