John Stones

Sidzeret

:lol: at all the Everton fans on Twitter and ToffeeTalk saying "£20m? They can double that and we'll talk!" Or "if David Luiz was £50m then we should demand at least that for Stones."

It's funny, many Chelsea fans think paying over £20m is ridiculous while all the Everton fans think it's a derisory amount.

hate that "if david luiz was 50m..." although Stones may be a better defender, compare their CV's.

Its like saying if Stones is worth £30-40m, then the best English CB John Terry is worth 60-70

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mean while Vidal, one of the best mid in the world is going to Bayern for £28m approx. Different positions but the point still, no way John Stones is worth more than the best box to box mid in the world, despite being around a decade younger. CB should also be cheaper than attacking players and mid in general anyway

You say that but i've seen a few Italian Journalists say its was a high figure considering he is 28, problems with his knee and just had his worst season a Juve. We all know there is a premium for English players and if he is as good as people rate him then maybe paying huge money won't be such a bad idea

Or the opposite can happen and he improves more and they'll demand even more money for him.

There's no way he's only worth £15m.

i think 15mil is a lot of money and what he is worth of. he is just another prospect. he is a good defender with "potential".

also, it does not matter if he gets better or not. he simply is the "new shiny toy" right now. in a season or 2, he would be old news, less hyped and not so pricy. just the way english media, clubs and players work. look at barkley. 2 years ago he was "the next rooney", today (despite being 21), he is out of the picture.

Stones 30m+, Zouma 10m says it all. I am not against this signing but not at ANY PRICE, as many have said £25-£30m max at a push is what we should pay. If we are being mugged off like City did with Sterling then all our hard works the past few years have been useless and might as well go back to overpay spree days before 2011.

Again, a price must be put into context. Sure, £30-35m is a huge amount, but prices are also hugely inflated for most young talents that come from savvy clubs. If we look at two comparable youngsters such as Laporte and Varane (sure, Varane has a lot more experience, but both belong to top tier young CB's) then they would cost even more.

The important question here is not only what we are paying, but also what we get. Stones is young, with moderate pace, good technique and passing range while at the same time being strong physically. He is young, which means it is still possible that he will improve very much, which would be great considering that he is already a quite good CB by PL standards.

In other words, both his current ability and potential justify a purchase. Moving forward though, there is the english factor. We know the FA have their HG quotas, so it is a huge advantage to have a player in the team who justify his place primarily based on his performances, but with the added bonus of being english.
Furthermore, I like the idea of having english players in the team, especially in a position of influence such as CB. It is often overlooked, but there is a reason why for example Terry and Ferdinand drove their teams to success as captains in that position.

From a financial point of view he might be costly, but if we attain a player that will be important for a decade it is actually good business.
All depends on how well Stones would fit now, and how close he is to hitting his ceiling.

Again, a price must be put into context. Sure, £30-35m is a huge amount, but prices are also hugely inflated for most young talents that come from savvy clubs. If we look at two comparable youngsters such as Laporte and Varane (sure, Varane has a lot more experience, but both belong to top tier young CB's) then they would cost even more.

The important question here is not only what we are paying, but also what we get. Stones is young, with moderate pace, good technique and passing range while at the same time being strong physically. He is young, which means it is still possible that he will improve very much, which would be great considering that he is already a quite good CB by PL standards.

In other words, both his current ability and potential justify a purchase. Moving forward though, there is the english factor. We know the FA have their HG quotas, so it is a huge advantage to have a player in the team who justify his place primarily based on his performances, but with the added bonus of being english.

Furthermore, I like the idea of having english players in the team, especially in a position of influence such as CB. It is often overlooked, but there is a reason why for example Terry and Ferdinand drove their teams to success as captains in that position.

From a financial point of view he might be costly, but if we attain a player that will be important for a decade it is actually good business.

All depends on how well Stones would fit now, and how close he is to hitting his ceiling.

I only see English HG quota at play here. I don't see world class CB in the making, I see serviceable CB who hopefully will play for the national team.

Just me though

Ok for arguement's sake lets say the Yokohama money is our transfer budget. To chuck most of it on a young player is complete folly especially as even with Kalas and Christensen on loan there's Zouma who looks really promising. Ivan can go back to centre half if needed and there's Cahill and Terry. If we are to do anything this season especially in Europe what we need is experienced players and we need a right winger badly SWP, Salah, Schurrle, Cuadrado, Mourinho seems to have a blind spot where wingers are concerned.

There is absolutely no way our budget is restricted to just the Yokohama money + what is made for player sales.

City's punishment for breaking the rules last summer was their spending "restricted" to £50m, I highly doubt we have less of a budget.

There is absolutely no way our budget is restricted to just the Yokohama money + what is made for player sales.

City's punishment for breaking the rules last summer was their spending "restricted" to £50m, I highly doubt we have less of a budget.

We can comfortably spend over 100m this summer and not feel any sort of a pinch. The TV deal is what is driving up sales.

Ok for arguement's sake lets say the Yokohama money is our transfer budget. To chuck most of it on a young player is complete folly especially as even with Kalas and Christensen on loan there's Zouma who looks really promising. Ivan can go back to centre half if needed and there's Cahill and Terry. If we are to do anything this season especially in Europe what we need is experienced players and we need a right winger badly SWP, Salah, Schurrle, Cuadrado, Mourinho seems to have a blind spot where wingers are concerned.

There are a real shortage of quality CB's in world football right now. I think its VERY wise for Chelsea to hoard as many as the young ones as possible... Especially the young englishmen. Kalas is looking like he's not in the upper echelon for defenders and will likely move on next year, he hasn't even nailed down a spot for a Championship side let alone the Premier league champs...

BTW buying Stones doesn't mean we won't address other perceived holes in the squad.

People thought £30m for Ferdinand was too much.

It might be a bit steep initially, but we won't say that in his testimonial.

But Ferdinand had far more experience (didn't he also play CL football for Leeds?) and was a starter for England. Why is £30 mil Stones not a starter for England? His competition doesn't even compare to the one Ferdinand faced. A real question btw.

Personally, I think the club should look for someone to take over for Terry. As in within a year, possibly two. Gary is not the man to guide Stones or Zouma and be that world-class defensive rock for Chelsea for me.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You