With Liverpool about to possibly win the league, and constant reminders of Hillsboro, lets not forget Heysel and the murder of 39 Juventus fans

I remember waiting for the game to start and being horrified as the pre match events unfolded.

PS 5 minutes in you can see the Liverpool fans have a huge Munich 58 banner unfolded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22SRWULgP9s&feature=youtu.be

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story of what happend?

Basically the Liverpool fans entered the Juventus stand and drove them into a corner where a wall collapsed under the pressure. People who fell were trampled. The Belgian gendarmerie looked completely clueless as the events unfolded. Completely baffling is the fact that the game still started as the dead were beeing counted.

• 1 month later...

Even the Liverpool ridden corporate media is quiet about it-only thing I could find on BBC sports feeds;

"On May 29 1985, 39 football fans lost their lives at Heysel. My thoughts today are with all those who lost loved ones."

Thirty-nine Italian and Belgian fans died in the Heysel disaster, with hundreds more injured, after violence ahead of the 1985 European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus.

English clubs were later banned from playing in European competition for five years because of the behaviour of Liverpool fans.''

• 11 months later...

Didn't their chairman try and blame us?

yes lpuke tried to blame it on Chelsea fans Here is a lil' bit of History on the subject:

Juventus are just as appalled at Liverpool's then chairman John Smith for attempting to shift blame on to Chelsea hooligans who had travelled to Belgium. Smith told reporters he believed the trouble to be the fault of "Chelsea fans" due to the amount of southern accents heard in the strands.

With them a week later in the final surely be some coverage though that's probably daft to think...

Urgh can have fans from other sodding counties.don't get how made connection between southern accents..us!bust wtf and least didn't go anywhere.

Shifting the blame doesn't surprise.they tried to blame arsenal turnstiles ticket system for the reason some were able to sneak extra in.

Phil Neal who at the time was the Liverpool captain and one time England coach under Graham Taylor and possibly the thickest footballer ever which is quite an accolade. He makes Paul Gascoigne look like Bamber Gascoigne. A few years ago the Guardian done a piece about the effects something so shocking and life changing had on the people who were there players, fans and the journalists. It's like opening up old wounds and even 30 years later it must be difficult to talk about and naturally there's regret sadness and finger pointing from all concerned. Then you come to Phil Neal's account of what happened on the night when the Guardian rang him up. What can you say about this turd of a man?. He should be utterly ashamed of himself he should if he had an ounce of dignity said sorry i don't want to talk about it and hung up.

Phil Neal
Then: Liverpool captain, 34
Now: Merseyside Radio commentator

I'd rather forget that night. It was an ordeal. But, Jamie, why should I help you out? I'm helping you pay your mortgage [by talking to you about Heysel]. When people ask me for my view, they usually have to pay for it. You're asking for my help for nothing. To pay your mortgage, Jamie. I mean, what do you want from me?

I just thought that as the captain of Liverpool football club on that night at Heysel it would be good to hear your view?

Yes but what do you want from me? If I talk to you for a few minutes, then I'm helping you pay your mortgage and what am I getting in return? Do you know what I mean?

Well, I have been to Italy and talked with some of the families of the victims and they say that the trophy should be given back by Juventus to commemorate what happened.

About Juventus? Why are you asking me? Why are you asking someone on the Liverpool side? Juventus made amends very soon. Ask them ... Jamie I'm helping you pay your mortgage. People who want my views pay.

I'm sorry, but everyone else I have spoken to has ...

Great. So you've spoken to people, you've got your views. You've got your Liverpool view, but if you want mine for free, well people pay for them.