Reasons for Torres still staying at Chelsea

Its pretty clear that Torres is one if not most popular Chelsea player in the world. He is shit, but fact is, he sells most kits and is extremely supported by football fans (for who knows what reasons). Is it possible that Chelsea is keeping him because kits are selling and he is presenting ''positive'' and popular picture of/in the club? To be honest, he is obviously the most marketable player we have atm, Hazard shortly behind. Every team needs poster boy, the player everyone knows and to our unfortune its Torres. I heard he actualy wont be sold due to the fact that he is still extremely popular in football world...

Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its pretty clear that Torres is one if not most popular Chelsea player in the world. He is shit, but fact is, he sells most kits and is extremely supported by football fans (for who knows what reasons). Is it possible that Chelsea is keeping him because kits are selling and he is presenting ''positive'' and popular picture of/in the club? To be honest, he is obviously the most marketable player we have atm, Hazard shortly behind. Every team needs poster boy, the player everyone knows and to our unfortune its Torres. I heard he actualy wont be sold due to the fact that he is still extremely popular in football world...

Any thoughts on this?

he better sell a fuckload of kits to compensate for the 175k/week salary...

Of course its not worth keeping him, are you mad?!

Any thoughts on this?

No, the reason why he's still here is because of his wages. Even if we were to find some club dumb enough to take a chance on Torres they wouldn't be able to pay his wages let alone want to pay it.

He's on 10m per year and his transfer fee amortized over five years is 50m/5= 10m.

So he basically costs the club 20 million pounds per year. For him to repay that, his shirt sales must be, assuming that the club gets on average 5 quid per shirt, 4 000 000 shirts per year or about 11 000 Torres shirts per day!

I think we can all agree that that is quite impossible.

EDIT: Fixed.

He's on 10m per year and his transfer fee amortized over five years is 50m/5= 10m.

So he basically costs the club 20 million pounds per year. For him to repay that, his shirt sales must be, assuming that the average shirt costs 50 quid, 400 000 shirts per year or about 1100 Torres shirts per day!

I think we can all agree that that is quite impossible.

Actually the amount of shirts he'd have to sell is a lot more then that. You're forgetting that Adidas gets the majority of the money made on shirts.

Who is going to buy this fat loser's kit? Obviously none of you know me or what I am capable of but if I met Torres right now, I wouldn't kiss his ass like some of you, I wouldn't waste a moment telling what I think of him. Obviously he isn't going to risk not getting his millions (and that's the reason he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him) but I hope that earns him a place as the biggest scrub in the history football, soulless mug.

End off the season Jose needs to make it clear to him he has no future at Chelsea and if he decides to see out his contract he will be training away from the first team. Strip him off his number 9 and give it to Eto'o also.

He should have been told this in the summer off 2012 but better late than never.