2014/2015 Goalkeeper

2014/2015 season - Goalkeeper  

116 members have voted

1. 1. 2014/2015 season - Petr Cech or Thibaut Courtois

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what? The fact that he's still kid does not take away from his talent. We wouldn't be where we are now without Hazard but that doesn't mean that he isn't still a kid who sometimes goes missing and other times lacks consistency. It doesn't make him any less of a talent it just means he needs more experience which is perfectly normal for a kid his age.

So let's send out Hazard out on loan because he's still a kid and he still needs experience then.

Courtois has experienced a lot at Atletico already, his age is irrelevant. He's mature beyond his years.

So let's send out Hazard out on loan because he's still a kid and he still needs experience then.

Courtois has experienced a lot at Atletico already, his age is irrelevant. He's mature beyond his years.

:lol: I'm sure you realize what a silly comparison that is. Outfield players are different than keepers. But if we had Ronaldo in our team and for some reason could only play either Hazard or Ronaldo then yes, loaning out Hazard would be an option to consider :P On any account, though I believe that loaning him back to Athletico this season was the right decision, I don't Courtois loaned again next season.

From the beginning I wanted both Cech and Courtois here next season. If he's better than Cech let him come here and win the starting spot. My point is that Thibaut is young and we have no idea how he will respond to moving to a new league and a new team with different teammates and different system. Due to his age and inexperience he could need time to settle. Hence why if I were the manager, I would not sell Petr until Thibaut has had at least a season with the club.

:lol: I'm sure you realize what a silly comparison that is. Outfield players are different than keepers. But if we had Ronaldo in our team and for some reason could only play either Hazard or Ronaldo then yes, loaning out Hazard would be an option to consider :P On any account, though I believe that loaning him back to Athletico this season was the right decision, I don't Courtois loaned again next season.

From the beginning I wanted both Cech and Courtois here next season. If he's better than Cech let him come here and win the starting spot. My point is that Thibaut is young and we have no idea how he will respond to moving to a new league and a new team with different teammates and different system. Due to his age and inexperience he could need time to settle. Hence why if I were the manager, I would not sell Petr until Thibaut has had at least a season with the club.

You can say that he might need time to adjust to the PL, that's different, but he's not inexperienced any more and as I've said already, he's already mature beyond his years. He doesn't think or play like a 21 year old keeper so this age and experience argument is completely irrelevant now.

Besides, how is he going to adjust to the PL if he doesn't play in it? He's definitely ready to be number 1 here if he's number 1 (and the best GK in Spain) at a club that are challenging for the La Liga ahead of two juggernauts in Real and Barcelona, and are also in the CL semi final.

It largely depends if either (or ideally, both) are man enough to accept the other at the club & to fight for their place.

Cech is a blue legend, but he has to remember that he wasn't our first choice keeper when he was around, but had a chance and took it with both hands. So he as much as anyone should understand that Courtios deserves that chance to prove himself.

Courtios needs to understand you can't demand to be no. 1 for a team that you've never played for, especially considering they have such a legend in goal for them at the present time.

If they both accept this then I would gladly see them compete throughout pre-season & next season for the no. 1 jersey at the club, hopefully have 1 solidified by mid October or so. If the other one can't accept being 2nd choice then fine, cash in. No-one is bigger than the club. But hopefully they'll both be decent enough about it; Cech could do with the competition & Courtios could learn a lot from Petr.

If we HAD to choose between them it would depend on the situation. If Courtios demands to be 1st choice then i'd ditch him. No-one is above the club, and no-one makes demands to the club. However, if it's a straight up choice on both ability and potential then i'd have to go with Courtios. He's at least as good as Cech right now and will only get better.

It largely depends if either (or ideally, both) are man enough to accept the other at the club & to fight for their place.

Cech is a blue legend, but he has to remember that he wasn't our first choice keeper when he was around, but had a chance and took it with both hands. So he as much as anyone should understand that Courtios deserves that chance to prove himself.

Courtios needs to understand you can't demand to be no. 1 for a team that you've never played for, especially considering they have such a legend in goal for them at the present time.

If they both accept this then I would gladly see them compete throughout pre-season & next season for the no. 1 jersey at the club, hopefully have 1 solidified by mid October or so. If the other one can't accept being 2nd choice then fine, cash in. No-one is bigger than the club. But hopefully they'll both be decent enough about it; Cech could do with the competition & Courtios could learn a lot from Petr.

If we HAD to choose between them it would depend on the situation. If Courtios demands to be 1st choice then i'd ditch him. No-one is above the club, and no-one makes demands to the club. However, if it's a straight up choice on both ability and potential then i'd have to go with Courtios. He's at least as good as Cech right now and will only get better.

Very sensible post coming from a man with one of the two on his avatar. :D This is probably the best way to decide, maybe the only way actually.

You can say that he might need time to adjust to the PL, that's different, but he's not inexperienced any more and as I've said already, he's already mature beyond his years. He doesn't think or play like a 21 year old keeper so this age and experience argument is completely irrelevant now.

Besides, how is he going to adjust to the PL if he doesn't play in it? He's definitely ready to be number 1 here if he's number 1 (and the best GK in Spain) at a club that are challenging for the La Liga ahead of two juggernauts in Real and Barcelona, and are also in the CL semi final.

Of course age plays a factor. Young players are much more likely to need more time to adjust to a new team and a new league and a new culture as opposed to older players in the late 20s or early 30s. It's not just about football experience but also life experience and maturity. That does not take away from Thibaut's current talent and capabilities one bit like I said.

But other than that, I don't disagree with any of what you said. I think Thibaut is ready to be our number one and want him here next season, I just don't want us letting go of Cech until we make sure that Thibaut has settled in well with the team and in the league.

That said, like I stated at the start of this thread, this is a good kind of dilemma and I'm happy with whatever Jose decides in the end.

Couldn't have wrote it better myself :clap:

Very sensible post coming from a man with one of the two on his avatar. :D This is probably the best way to decide, maybe the only way actually.

Haha I love Thibaut but I don't let blind love get in the way of logic.

I know the whole "no-one's above the club" et al may be true.. But only to an extent. The fact is, if you want to strive to keep your best players a club has to make sacrifices. That's them putting the club in the bigger picture.

The bigger picture here is this; Courtois has undoubtedly the most potential to be world-class out of the current crop of young keepers. We've seen, from history, how clubs like United & Arsenal have failed to replace their number ones. United after Schmeichal is the most clear-cut example. If Courtois want's #1 and we give it to him it's not Chelsea putting Courtois over them.. It's them looking after their best interests.

It's not right and it's not always fair for fans to witness. But Courtois is in the prime of his life and he's not going to sacrifice his rise (nor should we)

Ideally Courtois signs a new contract and loan out in Premier League for 1 more year, and see how he perform.

Seriously? To which club exactly would you loan him out to, a team like Stoke or one of our title rivals?

He's been one of the very best in the world for the last couple of years and right now he's fighting for the Champions League and also for the league title in Spain, with a team outside the two giants no less. He's already won a few trophies with Atletico and this summer will lead Belgium's defense at the World Cup, what could he possibly gain from going on loan to a midtable club in England?

Seriously? To which club exactly would you loan him out to, a team like Stoke or one of our title rivals?

He's been one of the very best in the world for the last couple of years and right now he's fighting for the Champions League and also for the league title in Spain, with a team outside the two giants no less. He's already won a few trophies with Atletico and this summer will lead Belgium's defense at the World Cup, what could he possibly gain from going on loan to a midtable club in England?

Petr Cech will still be very much part of the fold then, though, meaning there will be two ambitious internationals competing for one spot. The problem is cech is still performing very well and stable for us, it is no reason to get Dave to replace him just like that. IMO, the idea to loan out him in Premier league is because La Liga and Premier League's treatment to the requirements of the Goalkeeper are different as like De Gea's first year in Premier League was criticized by people too. Successful goalkeeper in La Liga may not necessarily adapt to the Premier League.

Petr Cech will still be very much part of the fold then, though, meaning there will be two ambitious internationals competing for one spot. The problem is cech is still performing very well and stable for us, it is no reason to get Dave to replace him just like that. IMO, the idea to loan out him in Premier league is because La Liga and Premier League's treatment to the requirements of the Goalkeeper are different as like De Gea's first year in Premier League was criticized by people too. Successful goalkeeper in La Liga may not necessarily adapt to the Premier League.

De Gea got criticised because he basically wasn't a physical goalkeeper so it was a huge culture shock to him.

Thibaut won't have that problem because he's very imposing in the box and much bigger than De Gea.

Mourinho's had a similar situation with Real Madrid and we all know what he did, although the problem there was more of finding a replacement to the struggling Casillas than trying to keep the best young GK in the world as it is now.

Think he'll give them competition, both will accept, Cech accepts it and had already said it, and if Courtois is afraid of Cech and needs a guarantee to number one then i don't even want him anymore in my team because this is not the spirit at all. If he trusts himself enough he will come, tackle Petr and we'll all be able to see the difference even more clearly.

Having said that i saw Courtois' performances and i still think he needs to get hold of the ball more often, he makes saves but takes the risk of the ball falling in for opposite strikers right away too many times, might not be a huge problem in Spain as the game's not as pacey as England but he'd have to correct that should he come. Also, aerial challenges, not convinced, i mean he's just not better than Cech in this field, and for the first point Petr has got great control of the ball due to his experience. Finally, we all know we have the GK with the best feet in the world, his long balls are really accurate and powerful, not so impressed about Courtois on this point yet.

Then again, there is competition, Cech didn't say his last word but Courtois' is knocking, his reactions are phenomenal and can be number 1 should he develop the points mentioned above, so bring in the Belgian, give them one or two seasons of competition and we'll count at the end.