2014/2015 Goalkeeper

2014/2015 season - Goalkeeper  

116 members have voted

1. 1. 2014/2015 season - Petr Cech or Thibaut Courtois

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a rather silly notion. By that logic you can ask, how many penalties has Thibaut saved in a CL final, and if your answer is less than 3 then we should keep Petr.

Obviously neither are a good way to decide.

Sorry but I really dont think your comparison is a good one.

If there were many saves from Cech this season that I could say "Courtois wouldn't have saved that", then Cech would have a strong case for staying.

But that's not really the case.. Cech is a legend and I love him but if we really want to be professional about this, Courtois must be given a shot.

Sorry but I really dont think your comparison is a good one.

If there were many saves from Cech this season that I could say "Courtois wouldn't have saved that", then Cech would have a strong case for staying.

But that's not really the case.. Cech is a legend and I love him but if we really want to be professional about this, Courtois must be given a shot.

That is exactly the point, the comparison is not a good one, not at all. That's not how you compare keepers.

Rewatch the super cup for the best goal-keeping performance in Europe this season and then watch our last game to see an average error prone keeper. You'll find similar cases with Thibaut.

We all have to realise Cech is a phenomenal keeper. However we can't let sentiment disguise the fact that he's made a number of high profile howlers this season, or at least a greater number than he or any keeper usually would. His form has dipped before and he has always come back stronger, and I fully expect him to do the same once more here. However, rather than oscillating between good and sub-par like Cech, Courtois is going from strength to strength to strength. Even I, one of Cech's biggest fans, thinks it is stupid to keep a 32 year old whose form isn't great (is Cech suffering a crisis of confidence? I see no conviction in what he does...) when waiting in the wings you have an absolute freak of a 21 year old who is probably already almost as good as Cech is! The way we have to see it is Cech would be able to keep goal for us for another 2-3 years. We'd get the best out of 10 years with Courtois and it won't cost a penny.

We should sell Curtois to cash in. Peter Cech still has more 6 years as a top GK, or even more. We can easily see him playing until his 38.

In 6 years we will have more good young GKs around.

GK is a very sensitive position, and is the most difficult one to replace. Sometimes he has his flaws, but at the end of the day you just realize he is one the best GK of the last decade.

90% of people that voted want Curtois to be our 1st GK next season. Fools.

Cech had a very good game yesterday, but the point I made on the previous page is that his form oscillates. He can make a terrible mistake and then a magnificent save in every game. Courtois' best, in my mind, isn't as good as Cech's best, but Courtois has 10 years to improve and reach that level. One can argue Thibaut is the more consistent.

Cech, on his day, such as against Bayern in the Super Cup, can be a 90-rated goalkeeper. There are days where he looks more like an 80. Courtois is a solid 85 season-long.

Cech had a very good game yesterday, but the point I made on the previous page is that his form oscillates. He can make a terrible mistake and then a magnificent save in every game. Courtois' best, in my mind, isn't as good as Cech's best, but Courtois has 10 years to improve and reach that level. One can argue Thibaut is the more consistent.

Cech, on his day, such as against Bayern in the Super Cup, can be a 90-rated goalkeeper. There are days where he looks more like an 80. Courtois is a solid 85 season-long.

Thibaut has had some "below 80" matches this season as well. He's not made as many mistakes as Petr has this season but he's a rough patch of a few consecutive games where he looked very shaky and error prone. That's why from the start I did not want Petr sold even if we do recall Thibaut. He's the best young keeper in the world and I have no doubt that he will be one of the best if not the best keeper in the world but he's still just a kid, we don't know how he will react to the transition to the EPL and he might need time to settle.

Thibaut has had some "below 80" matches this season as well. He's not made as many mistakes as Petr has this season but he's a rough patch of a few consecutive games where he looked very shaky and error prone. That's why from the start I did not want Petr sold even if we do recall Thibaut. He's the best young keeper in the world and I have no doubt that he will be one of the best if not the best keeper in the world but he's still just a kid, we don't know how he will react to the transition to the EPL and he might need time to settle.

This "kid" is one of the main reasons Atletico are where they are right now, in the CL semis and top of La Liga.

He's experienced enough already at Atletico, the "kid" reason is void and irrelevant now.

This "kid" is one of the main reasons Atletico are where they are right now, in the CL semis and top of La Liga.

He's experienced enough already at Atletico, the "kid" reason is void and irrelevant now.

So what? The fact that he's still kid does not take away from his talent. We wouldn't be where we are now without Hazard but that doesn't mean that he isn't still a kid who sometimes goes missing and other times lacks consistency. It doesn't make him any less of a talent it just means he needs more experience which is perfectly normal for a kid his age.

I voted for Cech at the moment but I'd like to explain why. Petr Cech is 31 years old, which is not even old for a goalkeeper. He is at his best years theoretically. So he has had some off-days, any player has them, even Courtois if you look through all that media hype. I'm not saying anything negative about Courtois but I think it has been a little too black and white here. Cech's mistakes are examined under the microscope while his heroics (he was one of the main factors who won us the Champions League - penalty saves just to name something) are laregly overlooked. Cech's influence on players in the dressing room can't be underestimated. Anyone who has ever played any competetive team sport knows the psychological benefit of having a more experiened team-mate alongside you, Courtois won't have that effect, not in Chelsea, YET.

If anything Cech needs competition (let's be fair, his position has been an one man show for ages now) and like mentioned before by someone Courtois should come back here for pre-season and line up against Cech to see who deserves the number one position, let Mourinho decide but under no circumstances should Courtois be sold or traded.

I still can't see why we couldn't keep Cech if Courtois is to become Chelsea's main goalkeeper. Look at Real Madrid - Lopez and Casillas, who would have thought any goalkeeper would bench Casillas a few years back? And look at Barcelona - with Valdes out for 7 months, they're stuck with Pinto who has been shaky and rubbish.

Are people really still using age to argue that Courtois should not get the no.1 position becuase of thisand a so called lack of expeience? Despite what he has done in the 3 years at Madrid.

Its that kind of thinking that results in our youth academy being nothing but a shambles.