Instant gratification on talkChelsea (and footie forums in general)

I left this comment on the Mourinho thread, but because of it's verbosity, I decided to create a new thread for the sake of visibility. It's a bit of a rant.

A winning Chelsea and a losing Chelsea alone seperates the true CFC bluebloods from the fake, pseudo, glory-hunting, know nothing "fans" in need of instant gratification.

The only gripes I have with the legendary manager (Mourinho) is that this season he has failed to integrate Demba Ba into the squad and for some reason, only known to him, has persisted with Torres. I know Torres' style of play and attributes are useful to our attack, especially when we set-up to counter the opposition, but Torres' presence as far as I'm concerned in ANY CFC line-up is as welcome as an asteroid to planet Earth.

My second gripe is that his line-up's have cost us points in the league this season. This team is not good enough to even withstand minor tweaks to it. Something as minor as a change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 sometimes has catastrophic effects to the way we play. We saw it vs Palace recently, West Ham, Spurs in WHL, vs Basel in the 2nd tie. We almost saw it vs Tottenham in the first half especially. Sometimes, he just needs to put out our best team in our best formation instead of worrying about the opponent's qualities, especially when we play against weaker opposition.

Aside from that, he's been fantastic. What many of these thickos, these fake, pseudo, glory-hunting, know nothing "fans" in need of instant gratification "fans".... What they don't know is this. Chelsea have been a joke in the league for the past two years. We were sixth and then a DISTANT third in the league. Forget the CL we won. It was won solely due to sheer determination of our stalwarts of yesteryear. Giants like DD, Lamps, Cech and so on, willing to die for what had eluded them for a decade.

We came sixth, our lowest finish since 2001. Our defense was sloppy and pathetic. We couldn't see games out. Mourinho fixed that. Just last season (and till January), our squad was terribly imbalanced, with our board for some bizzare reason signing so many attacking midfielders (probably in a bid to play more expansive football?)........Mourinho fixed that. Give me Matic and Salah over Mata and De Bruyne any day. We had lost our never say die spirit. Once the opposition took a strangle-hold in the game, we were done. How many times did we come back from defeat under AVB? Even under Ancelotti in his final months?..........Mourinho fixed that....... Our legendary invincibility at Stamford Bridge??? Gone. Teams like Sunderland and QPR for fucks sake came and turned us over at the Bridge. Now we look unbeatable at home ............Mourinho fixed that. In 2010/2011, we finished with 64 points. In 2011/2012, 75 points. This season, we have 69 points, with 7 matches left. MASSIVE improvements all over!!!!! Only Brendan Rodgers has shown more improvement to a big team in the league this season. But 'Pool don't even play in Europe and they have two top class strikers that win them matches, a luxury we don't have right now. We were irrelevant in the CL for fucks sake, a Europa team, now we play in the QF's of the CL without a reliable striker!! Which other team in the CL does that??? Every other team has their scoring machine except us. We should be proud to do be amongst the top 8 teams in the world and to do that without a striker!

How some people just don't (OR won't) understand these simple facts, I will never know. We have Hazard, Oscar, Matic, Willian, Salah, van Ginkel plus the promised elite CF......... Some of the finest young players in the world + a 1000 and 1 reasons to be happy about the future. We have the best young stars in Europe and this next Chelsea team is going to be a beast, mark my words. Even stronger than the previous one was because we never had talent as remarkable as Eden.

It's a season of transition guys. Didier is gone, so is Ballack, Malouda, Kalou, Bosingwa, Cole, Deco, Essien..... Lamps on his last legs.................. So please, put things in perspective and stop with the instant gratification.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mourinho has to take blame for some matches we've played to draw and actually drawn instead of winning - MU away and Arsenal away as examples.

The players are to blame too, we've seen some lifeless and clueless performances.

But I think there are 2 problems.

First - we have a team that is very expensive and good on paper, but in reality is a bit overrated and very unbalanced. Maybe it is true that it was built for some other manager (Guardiola or otherwise) to take on, but mostly it looked like we were buying everything that looked trendy and had a high price-tag. In the end we ended up with a lot of creative midfilders, pretty thin defence, two excellent goalkeepers and bad-bad-bad strikeforce.

We've made some steps in right direction, like Mata out - Willian in, Matic in - Lampard (effectively) out, probably Salah looks like the right mould of player but the judgement is sill on, but we're too far off being a team, currently it's no more than assortment of players.

It pains me to say but maybe if AVB was allowed to make his clearout we would have been better off in the long run. RdM and his reliance on the old guard created another problem - we have young players, we have old players and basically no inbetween.

But the thing that gets to me, really gets to me - that team has no fight. It's astonishing to see, players who should be fighting for the title that is withing their reach just go and put in performances like CP one and today for example. That's partly on Mourinho too because it shows he can't get through to them, but where is ambition and work?

It's not Mourinho's team, but not so much in the sense of players' profiles but in terms of character. Wether he manages to get him up and fighting would be a real proof of his ability.

Before this week I was seeing distinct parallels with the Porto team he inherited in 2002 (I'm following Porto since 1999 so rememeber that period clearly). It was a bit of the same mismatched mixture of players not clearly knowing what they are doing, and they got some bad results after ok-ish start, and after the lost match Jose promissed the massive clearout. And that's when parallels suddenly end, because that team responded by going on the winning streak with players going out of their way to prove that they are good enough to stay. And then they went on their 2-years run.

This Chelsea team at the sight of any adversity or criticism (from coach, fans, pundits etc) just, figuratively speaking, lowers head and goes to sit in a corner. Maybe they don't trust the manager - and then Mourinho has a big problem he needs to either sort out or leave. Maybe they're too young as a whole and it will come.

It just pains me that Luiz, Oscar, Shurrle, Torres etc don't go out on the field trying to prove that they belong in the world elite and are good enough for this club. It's worse than defeats and season with no cups. It's just... bad.

Sorry for rambling.

Mourinho has to take blame for some matches we've played to draw and actually drawn instead of winning - MU away and Arsenal away as examples.

The players are to blame too, we've seen some lifeless and clueless performances.

But I think there are 2 problems.

First - we have a team that is very expensive and good on paper, but in reality is a bit overrated and very unbalanced. Maybe it is true that it was built for some other manager (Guardiola or otherwise) to take on, but mostly it looked like we were buying everything that looked trendy and had a high price-tag. In the end we ended up with a lot of creative midfilders, pretty thin defence, two excellent goalkeepers and bad-bad-bad strikeforce.

We've made some steps in right direction, like Mata out - Willian in, Matic in - Lampard (effectively) out, probably Salah looks like the right mould of player but the judgement is sill on, but we're too far off being a team, currently it's no more than assortment of players.

It pains me to say but maybe if AVB was allowed to make his clearout we would have been better off in the long run. RdM and his reliance on the old guard created another problem - we have young players, we have old players and basically no inbetween.

But the thing that gets to me, really gets to me - that team has no fight. It's astonishing to see, players who should be fighting for the title that is withing their reach just go and put in performances like CP one and today for example. That's partly on Mourinho too because it shows he can't get through to them, but where is ambition and work?

It's not Mourinho's team, but not so much in the sense of players' profiles but in terms of character. Wether he manages to get him up and fighting would be a real proof of his ability.

Before this week I was seeing distinct parallels with the Porto team he inherited in 2002 (I'm following Porto since 1999 so rememeber that period clearly). It was a bit of the same mismatched mixture of players not clearly knowing what they are doing, and they got some bad results after ok-ish start, and after the lost match Jose promissed the massive clearout. And that's when parallels suddenly end, because that team responded by going on the winning streak with players going out of their way to prove that they are good enough to stay. And then they went on their 2-years run.

This Chelsea team at the sight of any adversity or criticism (from coach, fans, pundits etc) just, figuratively speaking, lowers head and goes to sit in a corner. Maybe they don't trust the manager - and then Mourinho has a big problem he needs to either sort out or leave. Maybe they're too young as a whole and it will come.

It just pains me that Luiz, Oscar, Shurrle, Torres etc don't go out on the field trying to prove that they belong in the world elite and are good enough for this club. It's worse than defeats and season with no cups. It's just... bad.

Sorry for rambling.

No team in the premier league has recovered more points from losing positions than Chelsea, that's a fact. So this team does have fight in it. Remember Chelsea vs Liverpool? The Palace game was a let down but it has been coming really. How many miracles must Mourinho make with Torres as CF? He was a fucking joke against Villa and Palace. It's difficult to score goals, let alone win games without a goal-scoring CF and that fact is telling at a crucial part of the season. If we had an Aguero, Lewandowski or even a Sturridge, we wouldn't have lost either of these games. Think about how many chances the likes of Hazard have created for Torres this season, only for him to miss. Think about Torres' general link-up play or lack thereof. Eto'o has been doing fantastic and when he plays well, we look great. When he got injured recently, I knew we were in trouble.

There is only so much Mourinho can do. It's sad that against PSG, Mourinho had to play Schurrle as a CF while Blanc had the luxury of fielding 3 world-class strikers in Lavezz, Ibra and Cavani. These players score goals and decide games on their own. Mourinho has taken "strikerless" Chelsea as far as he can this season. He's done a fantastic job like I pointed out and NO other manager in the world could have done better considering the circumstances.

Wait, you're calling people fake,plastics etc..

and you're in Chicago :rolleyes:

Of course, anybody who doesn't like in and around Fulham broadway is not a Chelsea supporter! For your info, I grew up in North London and I've been to the Bridge before. Before Roman too. Why don't you support one of the Old Firm by the way? It's hypocrisy really.

No team in the premier league has recovered more points from losing positions than Chelsea, that's a fact. So this team does have fight in it. Remember Chelsea vs Liverpool? The Palace game was a let down but it has been coming really. How many miracles must Mourinho make with Torres as CF? He was a fucking joke against Villa and Palace. It's difficult to score goals, let alone win games without a goal-scoring CF and that fact is telling at a crucial part of the season. If we had an Aguero, Lewandowski or even a Sturridge, we wouldn't have lost either of these games. Think about how many chances the likes of Hazard have created for Torres this season, only for him to miss. Think about Torres' general link-up play or lack thereof. Eto'o has been doing fantastic and when he plays well, we look great. When he got injured recently, I knew we were in trouble.

There is only so much Mourinho can do. It's sad that against PSG, Mourinho had to play Schurrle as a CF while Blanc had the luxury of fielding 3 world-class strikers in Lavezz, Ibra and Cavani. These players score goals and decide games on their own. Mourinho has taken "strikerless" Chelsea as far as he can this season. He's done a fantastic job like I pointed out and NO other manager in the world could have done better considering the circumstances.

Generaly Im only dissapointed with how much we paid for several players and how little we got from them...

And you mentioned we have spirit and fight? The games vs small teams show we have motivation for big games only. That has to change; Willian, Hazard and Oscar need to play more connected against small teams.

I wouldnt agree that if fans rage after defeat they arent real fans. Its quite opposite. Im pissed right now because we played so bad and I hate us lose and see us play this bad. I will support us no matter what and even if we will play in championship or be the best team in the world, after every defeat where we will show no spirit, I will rage because of dissapointment. Im not impatient, but passionate when comes to chelsea. Psg was better than us, we played bad second half, Mou couldnt do anything, our expensive players didnt deliver. Next week, we play 2nd half and we can win, but will be hard. Much harder, we could do better in paris. Its time for players to show their worth next week at Sb. They will show the spirit, fighting and motivation. I hope they will.

Generaly Im only dissapointed with how much we paid for several players and how little we got from them...

And you mentioned we have spirit and fight? The games vs small teams show we have motivation for big games only. That has to change; Willian, Hazard and Oscar need to play more connected against small teams.

I wouldnt agree that if fans rage after defeat they arent real fans. Its quite opposite. Im pissed right now because we played so bad and I hate us lose and see us play this bad. I will support us no matter what and even if we will play in championship or be the best team in the world, after every defeat where we will show no spirit, I will rage because of dissapointment. Im not impatient, but passionate when comes to chelsea. Psg was better than us, we played bad second half, Mou couldnt do anything, our expensive players didnt deliver. Next week, we play 2nd half and we can win, but will be hard. Much harder, we could do better in paris. Its time for players to show their worth next week at Sb. They will show the spirit, fighting and motivation. I hope they will.

I'm upset myself, but we have to be careful. Just reading through the Mourinho thread is sad sometimes. Newsflash, we don't have the god-given right to win every game. Also, when we lose, it's not automatically Mourinho's fault. You can't blame Mourinho, the same way you can't blame Hazard or Matic. You can't blame Cech because we know he is world-class. He makes mistakes from time to time, but so does every other keeper, Courtois, Lloris and De gea included. You can't blame those responsible for our success when things go wrong. That angers me really. The real suspects are Torres and our board (for some truly awful decisions). But what to do. We've made steps to balance the squad and hopefully Torres will be f******** off in the summer.

Reasoned critique is not too much to ask, even after disappointing performances. I was even angry at 2-1, LOL. We aren't a fully developed team like Madrid, Bayern or PSG. Our best players are playing in the knock-out phase of the CL for the first time, for god's sake! Building with young players was a decision the board and Roman decided to make and with young players comes disappointments and add to that the lack of goalscorers. We've done good for ourselves. I expect us to challenge for it all once (if?) we bring in a WC center forward.

I don't take your ridiculous opinions seriously. Are you done bashing Hazard and Matic yet?

I dont mind having ridiculous opinions. I used to think AVB was a shit manager, and Mikel a poor player when 90% of this forum believed that was just "ridiculous opnions".

I dont mind having ridiculous opinions. I used to think AVB was a shit manager, and Mikel a poor player when 90% of this forum believed that was just "ridiculous opnions".

you also predicted Azpilicueta was next Bosingwa