PSG 3-1 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

I remember saying 2-1 away from home was not actually that bad and then Pastore did that thing, damn. Anyway, what gives me a bit of belief is the fact that they did not really destroy us, as all the three goals were completely avoidable and gifts from our players to PSG.

Nothing to lose now, attack them hard and see what happens. Could be a very, very good game at the Bridge.

And maybe, just maybe, 3-1 will only push us more to attack, because having lost 2-1 could get very tactical as only 1 goal would do the job for us. And we remember how we fucked up in 2009/10 against Inter. We kept saying 1-0 is enough, King Carlo put the tactics on and later he admitted that it was a mistake. Now, at 3-1 down, we just have to go for it and attack.

Not sure who it was during the game but we got a free-kick slightly away from central and who ever took it decided to float the ball in and stand it up back post, why? It needed to be put ala Lavezzi's delivery for the Luiz own goal, not floated in back post. Our free kicks at times are awful, the ball should be whipped in with pace and at the right height to really trouble defences, yet we choose to play these idiotic ball high and into the back post.

In just four months Matic has become one of our best players. We missed him so much yesterday, I just hope next season we can get another midfielder to play alongside him, someone like Kroos.

I'm sorry, Luiz, Ramires and Mikel are not great midfielders, Lampard is on his last legs and it really showed last night.

“We have put ourselves in a difficult position but while everything is still possible we cannot say the tie is done. It is not 6-0 or 4-1 or 5-1. A 2-0 is possible to win the game at home and it is up to us.” - PETR CECH

Hey everyone,

Well very weird game. Not the PSG we are used too in the first half, better in the second but still not the level we usually play at.

A couple of points: there was penalty on Oscar, there was penalty on Cavani IMO / Chelsea was poor in the second half because physically they gave too much in the first half. As for PSG, I believe the 1rst half just shows that the team was not used to having a pressing like the one Chelsea did. Once the surprise passed, the team started playing like they are used to.

Now for the second leg, let's be clear. No reasonable PSG fan believes the whole thing is over. That would be a dreadful mistake. But clearly the Pastore goal has put us in a better situation than a 2-1.

At the Bridge, ibra will be out, but verratti was just tired and will be there. Will he or Cabaye play? That is my only interrogation.

In front it will be Lucas Cavani and Lavezzi and this could reveal very damaging in counter attack for you. I truly believe it will be a different game. PSG will not play like in the first half of the first leg. The warning was clear and the team will not let it happen again. Silva will not give you another penalty and Matuidi won't need a half time to start harrassing your players.

I really think it's going to be a very intense game. If Chelsea scores in the first quarter, it could turn out sour for us. If we score, then I don't see us lose 4-1.

Nothing's done yet. You only pay the musicians at the end of the ball (sorry literal translation).

Had the game finished 2 min earlier, Chelsea would still be favorites and now Paris are, and I'd go for 65-35 before the next leg. I may sound pessimisitc but 2 0 can come very fast.

Now regarding the game, the first half was strange. The first goal came very fast (too fast ?). Lavezzi was in a very though body position when kicking but he made it. You blame Cech but it came from a huge mistake from Terry.

Then Chelsea ketp the ball and dominated while Paris were defending; the contrary of what we were expecting. Did Paris decide to wait in their part of the pitch after the goal? It makes no doubt that Chelsea decided to attack and keep the ball. They were impressive but this ball possession did not generate many goals opportuinities. Then, came Silva's foul. It was real but avoidable, a playr like TS can't do such an useless fool, even if Oscar made nothing to avoid him, which was smart. Then until the end of the half, the match became balanced again, even if turning point of the game was Hazard's shoot on goalspot.

Then the second half, Paris scored twice, Cavani missed two goal opportunities.

Regarding Paris' performance, I was sure Lavezzi, Matuidi and Jalled were going to be in big troubles in that game, they finally were the 3 best players. Ibrahimovic was just awful from the very beginning, he even lost the ball that led to the penalty. But given his record in knockout phase, it was predictable ... Cavani was bad and just improved when he went in the centre after Ibrahimovic injury. Veratti was awful in the first half, kept the goal way too much, took too muck risks. TS missed his first half too. They were all better in the second half and they managed to keep the ball as they usually do.

Regarding Chelsea (I won't go in details, I was more focused on Paris), let me give you my view as someone who didn't see Chelsea that often ... The first goal chenged their plan, but from Lavezzi's goal, I really find Chelsea impressive when they kept the ball. This ball possession was not very efficient but impressive. After the goal, let alone the goalspot, the match was more balanced. Don't understand why Chelsea did not keep attacking as they were doing? Weren't they able to? Was it a choice? It was a great opportunity to kill Paris.

Now the second leg. Ibrahimovic may have been a flop yesterday, it very bad news. Cavani is as good as him as CF but Paris will lose Cavani's definding work on the right side. And I don't know how Paris will start the game. Will they attack to try to score at least a goal? Or will they defend? We saw during the first half that they do not know to be a defensive team and let ball to the opposition. It will be very hard game but it's an opportunity to show they're really a great team.

Both teams were very tired and will play on Saturday. Most of Paris' players playing next tuesday will probably have some rest, while Chelsea will play an important game for race for the Premier League.

For supersitious people :D :

Chelsea: everything you said about Napoli in 2012 (3-1, Stoke, ...)

PSG: last time a French team (Monaco) played against Chelsea in the knockout phase, 3-1 in the first leg (same scenario, 1-0, 1-1 after the first half, 2-1, 3-1), then 2-2 in Stamford Bridge