Chelsea 6-0 Arsenal

Jase

Man of the Match  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

Now that the euphoria has died down for me, I have to comment on something.

The red card and penalty is way too harsh.

I guess in a league don't matter much since it's all about 3 points.

But when you play a competition like say a CL, getting a red card and a penalty is too much of a handicap.

It's better to give one but not both. I think that's a rule FIFA needs to change.

But when you play a competition like say a CL, getting a red card and a penalty is too much of a handicap.

It's better to give one but not both. I think that's a rule FIFA needs to change.

I get what you are saying mate, but in that situation both were warranted. He deliberately stopped the ball going into the goal with his hand.

The same as Suarez at the 2010 WC.

Disagree, red card and penalty were the right punishment. The handball was deliberate and he attempted to prevent a goal. (yes the ball was going out but he didn't know that)

There are some situations where a red card and a penalty are too harsh but this wasn't one of them. Imo ofcourse.

I get what you are saying mate, but in that situation both were warranted. He deliberately stopped the ball going into the goal with his hand.

The same as Suarez at the 2010 WC.

I guess this situation has to be the only time to get that punishment.

But when a ref gives a red card and penalty like in the barcelona vs Madrid game it's just too harsh and you kill the game.

Are you crazy. That's a penalty and a red card for me without hesitation. It wasn't a hand ball in the box to stop a pass or a dribble or something (which still deserve a red card) it was a deliberate hand ball to stop a shot, I would have been furious if it had not been a red card, although I hate red cards.

But when a ref gives a red card and penalty like in the barcelona vs Madrid game it's just too harsh and you kill the game.

True. FIFA need to rewrite the rules it would seem.

It has to be a red and a penalty. Looking at it from a game theory point of view:

-ball is going into net=100% goal

-opponent palms the ball off the line to save a goal

-what does the punishment have to be to make the opponent indifferent to palming or not palming the ball off the line (making the opponent indifferent being the absolute minimum, the punishment should actually be a deterrent)

Let's look at some punishments we could give:

-a penalty is given:

-this results in a goal ~85% of the time. This gives the opponent a 15% less likely chance of conceding a goal compared to the previous 100%. That's a huge win for the opponent and they should take that trade off any time.

-a penalty is given and a yellow:

-this results in a goal ~85% of the time and i couldn't even bother counting the ratio of bookings:second bookings it was so insignifant. Essentially, a yellow rarely results in seeing that same player receive another booking that match. So the opponents have shaved their chance of conceding a goal by 15% and will rarely be down a man.

The only way we even get close is by making it a red and a penalty (unfortunately I couldn't find a stastic for how often teams in the Prem concede after going down to 10 men to add up the 85% chance of pk goal + the chance of scoring with a man advantage).

The other option is to simply award the goal. It's not without precedent in sports. This happens in hockey if Team X has an empty net, Team Y gets the puck and is in all alone on the empty-net, only to be hauled down by a Team X player to prevent the empty-net goal. The goal is simply awarded in such empty-net cases rather than the usual penalty shot being awarded (which in hockey only has a roughly 33% chance of being converted). Doesn't even matter if the player got a shot off. We also see such a rule with goaltending in basketball. For goaltending to be awarded, the ball only has to have the possibility of going in, be on a downward arc, and not touching the rim. In this specific case, going with the hypothetical punishment of simply awarding the goal, I'd say it's harsh since we know the ball was going wide.

Some may argue that since the ball was going wide, it shouldn't have been a sending off. That's the only argument that holds ground here. To that, I'd argue that Ox clearly thought the ball had a high chance of going in otherwise he wouldn't have done something so drastic. He would have just let the ball go wide. So for all intents and purposes, Ox believed he was preventing a goal and palmed the ball away. Knowing that, his actions have to be considered in that light.

But how ? There's no solution. Every rewrite would have it's loopholes and disadvantages.

Not all the rules mate, but the last man standing rule. No one seems to know it properly nowadays.

Massively disagree. What ox tried to do warranted a red card. I mean INTENTIONALLY putting hand on ball is disgraceful.

Defenders make a proffesional foul , sonetimes intentionally fouling a pkayer but sometimes with the intention of putting a last ditch tackle to avoid the goal, But they are red carded if they are the last man and have stopped a goal scoring oppurtunity. But atleast those are still proffesional fouls. What ox did was like I said before, disgraceful. I mean look at suarez and the impact it had. That handball from ox deserved a red card n a penalty

Massively disagree. What ox tried to do warranted a red card. I mean INTENTIONALLY putting hand on ball is disgraceful.

Defenders make a proffesional foul , sonetimes intentionally fouling a pkayer but sometimes with the intention of putting a last ditch tackle to avoid the goal, But they are red carded if they are the last man and have stopped a goal scoring oppurtunity. But atleast those are still proffesional fouls. What ox did was like I said before, disgraceful. I mean look at suarez and the impact it had. That handball from ox deserved a red card n a penalty

I already gave a response to this not going to repeat myself again, just look at my other post with LAM.

First thing first, ox was not even a "questionable" decision compared to the dive of neymar. It was a clear cut red and a disgraceful action. Intentionallu handling the ball dearrves a red.

Now for the last man tackle/fouls while debying clear goal scoring oppurtunity (which I think was the xase last night) , while I except that sometimes they can be harsh, but u have to accept that they do make some sense.

I mean like someone said above, say the conversion rate of a pen is 80% in the world (4 out of 5), and you just give a pen or a pen + yellow, then the defender is commiting a foul and still reducing the chances of the striker scoring fron 100% to 80%. Which is what will happen if the refs stop givng reds for denying goalscoring oppurtunities. Hence, I have to say, the rule should defo stay.