Raphael Varane

Sidzeret

What do you think about Thiago Silva?

I think he's the best CB in the world when he's in form. He had some rough spell but whenever he's his usual self then it's hardly a competition for him. He is hybrid between Terry and Kompany, has Terry's reading of the game, leadership while possessing Kompany's atheticism, that pace and power. I was very impressed by his play against Chelsea, I hope that he's back to his best. Brilliant defender.

While he is talented, I dont see terry, puyol, thuram etc in the making in today football. Defenders got just so worse in comparison with past 10-20 years.

If he is available for fair price yes, but wouldnt go over the top. But I dont want us have two kids in central defense in zouma-varane, while signing varane would also definately stall zouma progress.

Someone more experienced would suit us more now. Who that is I dunno. But dont forget, we dont need to target absolutely best defenders, bayern signed dante and boateng when they were bang average and look how they turned out.

But football is more attacking now and defenders are expected to be more attacking minded, to be proactive and aggressive. I'm sorry but players like Ramos, Thiago Silva, Pepe, Kompany (not now but not so long ago) are wonderful defenders, when they're at top of their potential then they're dominant beasts, just what modern football and all that money craves for. They lack that consistency but it's due to their style of play, which demands to be at best physical and mental form, but it's modern football, maybe it's transitional period and for some time now we all will have Ramoses as defenders and Neuers as goalkeepers.

When you talk that we could turn for someone older, then it's exactly that, there aren't options. Benatia was the one and it's still pity that we didn't sign him last year (a big pity :( ) but I go through defenders and I don't see any. If not Varane (though I expect him to come here, I'm conviced about that) then there is Manolas or Sokratis I can think of.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't be the only one that notices how error prone he can be. The amount of times he gets caught out of position and has to rely on his pace to recover is staggering for such a highly rated defender. some even class him as a world class defender already which is a reflection of how bad the quality of defending and defenders has become.

For my money, John stones and Marquinhos are better options.

I'd take Varane over Stones any day of the week.

we have JT good for 2 more years .. Zouma ,, Cahill as 3rd or Brana ... other possibilities out on loan ,, money could be used better in other positions

Hopefully we're not relying on JT in two years time...I would expect Zouma & the new CB to form a decent partnership by then!

You're one of the very few on this forum (as well as other forums) that rates John Stones ahead of Varane. Any particular reason why (other than typical English hype)?

Yep that's the reason why i rate stones higher than varane genius. There wouldn't be a talkchelsea forum without patronizing, presumptuous posts like this.

Personally, I find the "English talent" snub culture to be extremely boring and so 2007. Those who view all English talent as nothing more than product of the British media hype and bandwagon, ironically, are just as ignorant and bad as those on the other side of the spectrum that are considered biased.

Yep that's the reason why i rate stones higher than varane genius. There wouldn't be a talkchelsea forum without patronizing, presumptuous posts like this.

Personally, I find the "English talent" snub culture to be extremely boring and so 2007. Those who view all English talent as nothing more than product of the British media hype and bandwagon, ironically, are just as ignorant and bad as those on the other side of the spectrum that are considered biased.

Don't get mad dude. Why do you rate Stones higher? Also, can you blame people for thinking every new English player is pure hype? Look at the history.

@lionsden, You are coming off as very sassy and snarky mate. You don't have to tone it down if you don't want to but I thought I let you know. It's not fun when you make yourself a target.

Come on mate, you are better that posts like this:

Good for you.

Is this really the level you are settling for?

:dunno:

This post is also quite patronising, if not more. Instead of going on a rant you could have just given the reasons why you rate Stones so much.

I'm not the one to always follow my own adivce but that doesn't mean you can't.

• 2 weeks later...

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You