Raphael Varane

Sidzeret

Add Shaw to the left. 3 players in the ages 18, 19, 20. That's a defence for the following decade.

Shame football hardly ever work like that, even when there are 10 promising players in your team it doesn't mean they will all go on and be the back bone or stay for 10-15 years like Terry, Gerrard, Messi, Iniesta...etc

On this subject, the chance of signing this guy is as good as signing Benzema atm.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add Shaw to the left. 3 players in the ages 18, 19, 20. That's a defence for the following decade.

Also someone like Cahill or Ivanovic should stick around to provide the experience which is vital especially at CB, when Terry retires.

I wouldn't trust such a young defensive line for shit.

Sell Luiz to Barca and buy him :P

Double whammy for Madrid. Definitely a long shot.

Zidane will have something to say on that regard. He is considered as the kid's mentor.

if there's a buyout clause, there's nothing Zidane can do. I just think that after spending 18m on Zouma, we aren't going to Varane. If we were we wouldn't have spent as much on Zouma imo because I don't see Mourinho having so many defenders younger than 21 in his team even if he's building something for the future. He's said a few times we'll be spending differently from the past because of FFP (and I also believe Roman wants to start making money out of a few players that aren't useful to us, but that we increased their value while they were here).

If we only had a CB to buy next season, I'd think we'd afford buying him by offloading Luiz, but he's one of the many supposedly targets we have. We won't get them all because Mourinho hinted enough times we won't splash money as in the past.

So how can we buy Shaw, Varane, world class striker and an occasional good deal that comes around. A lot of money will be involved in those, and selling only Luiz and adding the money we made from selling Kev and Mata doesn't seem to cover all those things. I don't feel like Chelsea is going to do something like that, but you never know.

Between Shaw and Varane, who do you think the team is going to prioritize and be willing to spend a lot? The English player - ofc.

He was signed for £8m from Lens with Zidane taking a huge interest him. Madrid did know what they were getting.

Don't think this is the real history. This was a Mourinho signing, not a Zidane signing. I'm not even sure Zidane was involved in getting players signed for Madrid 2 seasons ago when Mourinho signed him at age 18. I followed Madrid very closely that season. Mourinho was going on and on about Raphaël before and after he's signed him. Zidane only agreed and said nice things about Rapha a few months after the signing.

Unless we buy those big CM names you mentioned, going for this one is a no-brainer.

But you seriously think we can get any of them?

Even if we don't get the big name CMs, we still might need to buy a CM. Rambo, matic, mvg(a 21 year old who has started 2 games!!!) are our only sure shot options for CMs for the next year with a 36 year old lamps and a mikel who can't buy a start under mou as our back up options (both of them might not be any part for that matter). Even 20mil on someone like lars bender would make more sense to me than 25mil on varane with JT, GC, DL, zouma plus kalas, ake, omerou as youth options.

if there's a buyout clause, there's nothing Zidane can do. I just think that after spending 18m on Zouma, we aren't going to Varane. If we were we wouldn't have spent as much on Zouma imo because I don't see Mourinho having so many defenders younger than 21 in his team even if he's building something for the future. He's said a few times we'll be spending differently from the past because of FFP (and I also believe Roman wants to start making money out of a few players that aren't useful to us, but that we increased their value while they were here).

If we only had a CB to buy next season, I'd think we'd afford buying him by offloading Luiz, but he's one of the many supposedly targets we have. We won't get them all because Mourinho hinted enough times we won't splash money as in the past.

So how can we buy Shaw, Varane, world class striker and an occasional good deal that comes around. A lot of money will be involved in those, and selling only Luiz and adding the money we made from selling Kev and Mata doesn't seem to cover all those things. I don't feel like Chelsea is going to do something like that, but you never know.

Between Shaw and Varane, who do you think the team is going to prioritize and be willing to spend a lot? The English player - ofc.

Don't think this is the real history. This was a Mourinho signing, not a Zidane signing. I'm not even sure Zidane was involved in getting players signed for Madrid 2 seasons ago when Mourinho signed him at age 18. I followed Madrid very closely that season. Mourinho was going on and on about Raphaël before and after he's signed him. Zidane only agreed and said nice things about Rapha a few months after the signing.

I'm not sure if things work this way, but we already have 40m from the Mata transfer. Provided we sell Luiz for, around, 35m, that leaves us enough money to cover for both Shaw and 'The Striker'.

And Varane could be that 'good deal' you mentioned.

Even if we don't get the big name CMs, we still might need to buy a CM. Rambo, matic, mvg(a 21 year old who has started 2 games!!!) are our only sure shot options for CMs for the next year with a 36 year old lamps and a mikel who can't buy a start under mou as our back up options (both of them might not be any part for that matter). Even 20mil on someone like lars bender would make more sense to me than 25mil on varane with JT, GC, DL, zouma plus kalas, ake, omerou as youth options.

Unfortunately you don't always get a chance to choose when these opportunities come up, IF it's realistic. Terry isn't getting any younger and Luiz isn't trusted by Jose so you're talking about Cahill, Zuma, Ivanovic (if he signs the new contract) and then Kalas (who wants to play football next year, so looks likely to leave in some way), Ake (who has played more at DM and Left-Back this year) and Omeruo.....and I wouldn't say any of them are as good as Varane is or could be.

I'm not sure if things work this way, but we already have 40m from the Mata transfer. Provided we sell Luiz for, around, 35m, that leaves us enough money to cover for both Shaw and 'The Striker'.

And Varane could be that 'good deal' you mentioned.

I'm a huge Varane fan from the moment we signed him in RM. Mourinho literally went on and on about this boy and a few months later he was playing for us at the time. He's AMAZING I want him as much - or more - than all of you.

Don't forget that the money we did we already spent on Zouma, Salah and Matic (part of the money). We don't have 40 as you're implying we do. I'd love for him to come here, but as he has a release clause and we don't desperately need a new CB - as we do in some other positions, I agree with @didierforever that we may be signing him, but not this window. Surely, RM can offer him a new contract and take away the release clause, but it's unlikely. Carlo isn't even using him that much... so I think we'll go for him either in the winter window or in the summer of 2015.

edit: btw you were right in the Zizou thing. He hinted Mou about it, but Mourinho was absolutely enchanted by the boy. He's a real fan of his since RM signed him in 2011. And time flies, I swore that happened in 2012, but it was 2011. Gosh, I'm old.

Buying Varane with Luiz still on is going to be a FFP suicide.

If we sell him and get Varane, I'd be happy with the options of Matic, Rami, v.Ginkel, 36yo Lamps and Mikel in our 2 man pivot. If we switch to 4-3-3, even Oscar can play there sometimes. I definitely would not spend 20m or less on Bender(Lars or Sven) for that matter.

If he has a £25 million buy-out clause then we should sell Luiz and buy him. Simple as that.

That'd be one of the best deals in the history of football!

However, I very much doubt he has such a low buy-out clause. Real Madrid usually puts stupidly high release clauses...

Unfortunately you don't always get a chance to choose when these opportunities come up, IF it's realistic. Terry isn't getting any younger and Luiz isn't trusted by Jose so you're talking about Cahill, Zuma, Ivanovic (if he signs the new contract) and then Kalas (who wants to play football next year, so looks likely to leave in some way), Ake (who has played more at DM and Left-Back this year) and Omeruo.....and I wouldn't say any of them are as good as Varane is or could be.

That'd be one of the best deals in the history of football!

However, I very much doubt he has such a low buy-out clause. Real Madrid usually puts stupidly high release clauses...

That's the point. If there's a release clause, it isn't a case of 'a chance you don't always get', as the clause is there and won't be removed unless he's offered a new contract. I don't know if there is and how much that is, but José knows exactly what's the case, as he signed him.

Shaw already has a very high price, we desperately need a striker - or even more than one (I'm not sure Mourinho is that willing to keep Lukaku). We need to start adding English players or homegrown talents to fill the EPL quota of such. I think it's unlikely for us to spend so much money at once. We'll be spending a lot between Shaw - who I honestly see coming - and a striker. Not to say the smaller signings that we do about 10-15m (Zouma, Salah, even someone as expensive as André - who I think was 18m, but as @didierforever, corrected me, I'm not the person to quote on how much we spend, lol)

Buying Varane with Luiz still on is going to be a FFP suicide.

If we sell him and get Varane, I'd be happy with the options of Matic, Rami, v.Ginkel, 36yo Lamps and Mikel in our 2 man pivot. If we switch to 4-3-3, even Oscar can play there sometimes. I definitely would not spend 20m or less on Bender(Lars or Sven) for that matter.

Varane does not solve any problems that we might have. This season jose has played the underdog card, but don't think we can do that next season. We will be trying to play a possession based football but we won't have a proper no. 8 to do so With. The only proper no.8 will be SFL but don't think he can fit the high energy system at all.

I hate FFP and 50m strikers.

UEFA is missing an important point about financial fairness here... or even sustainability.

There should be a ceiling of how much a player can cost and about their wages too. This thing is getting out of control and the world isn't on its best economical moment of history. As long as deals like Bale's are allowed to be done, things will escalate until we have a crack in the football market with many clubs going into bankruptcy or just being in deep debts. It makes NO sense for one single player to cost as much and to have 300k/week wages. It doesn't need to be an Einstein or whatever Economics guru to see that this won't end well if UEFA doesn't put a limit on this. It's not only how much a club can spend a spend, but even more how much one single player can cost.

I agree with what u have said.

I am not against buying varane. I just think he should be 4th in the priority list. Also I agree totally with the post u made about DL being sold and varane being bought. Infact that is the perfect and probably the only scenario of this deal happening

If Real are ready to let him go, then obviously we'll have a huge advantage to land him if we want with Jose here. 25m would be a great price for someone with so much potential if it is true.

yer get him he has scored 23 goals in on season on FM for me :D

That settles it then! :P

Varane does not solve any problems that we might have. This season jose has played the underdog card, but don't think we can do that next season. We will be trying to play a possession based football but we won't have a proper no. 8 to do so With. The only proper no.8 will be SFL but don't think he can fit the high energy system at all.

Fair point but I think our next team will be more focussed on Hazard like Jose did with Cristiano Ronaldo at Madrid. Counter attacks is going to remain the core of our attacking principle. Also in a 4-2-3-1, the No.10 role is much more important than the No.8 role. I don't think Xabi Alonso or Khedira were proper No.8s.

Fair point but I think our next team will be more focussed on Hazard like Jose did with Cristiano Ronaldo at Madrid. Counter attacks is going to remain the core of our attacking principle. Also in a 4-2-3-1, the No.10 role is much more important than the No.8 role. I don't think Xabi Alonso or Khedira were proper No.8s.

Hence came in modric!!!!! Also I seriously doubt jose would make a mistake of making us as dependent on hazard as RM were/are on CR. CR was at his peak. EH is still just 23 and some distance off CR.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You