test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vybz Kartel

What is the purpose of youth team if players are not given a chance?

Started by Vybz Kartel,

23 posts in this topic

I was reading an article recently on the Daily Mail on how teams have been doin in terms of producing 1st team players from their academy. We are a disgrace when it comes to this part to be honest, I dont believe in that crap that our youth players are not good enough, Look at Liverpool (I really despise them by the way) they have promoted some youth players and look at the reward now they are almost getting back into the the champions league without spending too much. Surely Josh Mccheran is more talented than Henderson or even Sterling its just a lack of opportunity. I dont believe tht crap tht he is weak, he was arguably one of our better midfielders when Carlo gave him a chance, he did not look at all out of place. Arsenal have always had at least 2 players from their academy in the first team who are decent, Betrand is better than Gibbs IMO but was never given a proper chance. We have some exciting talent coming from our academy at the moment, who I am really excited abt (Ruben Loftus Cheek for example) he is one of the most technically gifted kids I have seen for a while, I am sure if he was at Arsenal he would be knocking at the 1st team door if not already in the first team because from what I have seen from him he is way better than Wilshere or any of the those mids Arsenal have.

Dont get me wrong I want success on the pitch and I know we can strike a balance between promoting the youth and maintaing a winning team, just look at Barca(I hate them too) they buy expensive players but at the same time promote players from within their academy( players like Pedro, Tello, Batra just to name a few are decent options to come of the bench who they didnt pay a cent for) We have a lot of good players in our youth team who would be better options than some of the avarage players we have in the first team who are on big wages, Lewis Baker or Nat Chalobah can def feel in for Mikel IMO or Essien earlier on in the season. Even Pat Bamford, so much potential would rather have had him on the bench than keep Demba Ba in the squad who is on 80k a week. look at Kalas for example why has he not been given a chance in the cup games against weaker opposition?? Would rather he play and rest the first choices, if you think he is not good enough then sell him dont keep him on the bench all season. Would rather we lose cup games with youth players gettin a chance than losing with first team players who then go on to suffer from fatigue or worse of injury, surely he cant be bad against Derby or Swindon. At least he is still to reach his peak and would offer the same things Ba ia offering or maybe even better but for a lot cheaper. His enthsiusim would probably make him a great player. The one who hurts me the most is Sturridge, the kid was not given a proper chance even when Torres was our only striker, he always wanted to prove himself when he came on the pitch thats why he was selfish at times but look at everytime a manager showed confidence in him he produced, he scored 13 goals for AVB if i am not mistaken from the wing because he trusted him, just imagine if we had shown a little faith or trust in him?? He would have been a decent 15-20 goal second striker for us without spending a penny.

Sometimes what players need is trust and I feel that we dont afford that to our youth players which I feel has to change, if given the chance players become good as we have seen in the case of sterling, sturridge, gibbs wilshere, shaw jst to name a few frpm other teams. JT was given a chance when he was a youth and got better from palying with better players like Le Bouf and Desaily which our youth players can also do. Sorry for going back to Sterling as an example again, but playing with Suarez has revolutionised his game and he has certanily improved, why cant our players do the same?? Also I dont believe in the notion that our expectations are higher than Liverpool. Barca has more pressure to produce than we will ever be in but they still get to promote their youth players into the team. Another advantage to promoting youth is they actaully play for the badge, which I feel lacks with some of the players we buy, just look at JT the way he plays his heart out for the team, I would never expect to see that from Marko Marin or Demba Ba for example not that I am questioning their commitment at all.

My advise to Mou and the board would be reduce the loans by 50% and start promoting good enough players for average players. It is a more sustainable business model. sorry for some of the bad grammer along the way was typing really fast and im too lazy to correct some of it lol :yawn:

Definitely agree that the ratio of how much we invest in the youth facilities compared to how much come through is quite ridiculous but with the right managerial stability hopefully we start to see a gradual change and see more youngsters coming through. Quite amazing when you see the amount of players in the Arsenal and Liverpool first team who broke through the academy. Barcelona and Bayern are the perfect examples. Bringing through youth whilst also winning trophies.

However I do think you are being a bit too rash. Lewis Baker has impressed but to simply say he should be in the first team now is a bit of an over-reaction. I think that is exerting too much pressure on him and right now he is being developed in the right way. Also like WHS, Bamford is better of playing regular football for a team who might well possibly be in the Prem next season rather than sitting on the bench here and making the odd 20 min cameo every 4 games.

RLC is a fantastic talent also but think you are overrating him a little. He still has a lot of developing to do and to say he is better than Wilshere or the other Arsenalt midfielders is quite ridiculous. He is only 17 and his only first team involvement was in the friendlies in the summer. What you have seen is mainly footage of him playng in the youth and reserves. There is quite a big difference between youth/reserve football and playing in the Premier League.

Definitely agree that the ratio of how much we invest in the youth facilities compared to how much come through is quite ridiculous but with the right managerial stability hopefully we start to see a gradual change and see more youngsters coming through. Quite amazing when you see the amount of players in the Arsenal and Liverpool first team who broke through the academy. Barcelona and Bayern are the perfect examples. Bringing through youth whilst also winning trophies.

However I do think you are being a bit too rash. Lewis Baker has impressed but to simply say he should be in the first team now is a bit of an over-reaction. I think that is exerting too much pressure on him and right now he is being developed in the right way. Also like WHS, Bamford is better of playing regular football for a team who might well possibly be in the Prem next season rather than sitting on the bench here and making the odd 20 min cameo every 4 games.

RLC is a fantastic talent also but think you are overrating him a little. He still has a lot of developing to do and to say he is better than Wilshere or the other Arsenalt midfielders is quite ridiculous. He is only 17 and his only first team involvement was in the friendlies in the summer. What you have seen is mainly footage of him playng in the youth and reserves. There is quite a big difference between youth/reserve football and playing in the Premier League.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but my point when I said they are better than Wilshere I meant technically, they just need to be given a proper chance like Wilshere and some of those guys have been given. Look at Josh in 2010 everyone rated him higher than even Wilshere and he did not look out of place, I do understand managerial instability has caused his career to stagnant but I believe had Carlo stayed on he would have been at a better stage in his career than he is. Hopefully Mou bloods in a few of the exciting youngsters in the comin years because it really hurts to see their talents wasted away.

zolayes likes this

I am not saying go all out Southampton but surely some of our youth players are better than the average players on high wages that we carry, for example Demba Ba, he is on 80k a week and barely features surely we would make more jersey sales from success story of one of our own youth players than HIm(by the way he replaced Sturridge) whom IMO is way better than him just needed a chance. His not the only average player we have carried over the years,

True. Demba and others usually locked into a contract, he will go in the Summer though. Many of the youth as you know are farmed and loaned out, but there is probably less than 1% chance they are Waitrose Grade A.