The Goalkeepers' Union

BlueLion.

A thread for the goalkeepers of TalkChelsea - and the world - to come together and discuss the art of goalkeeping.

2012-634719164696055140-605.jpg

To begin with, who else feels like laughing at the guy who struck the free-kick for running away thinking he'd scored?! I certainly did.

As an aside, let's have a debate about who the world's best goalkeeper is. For me, it's Neuer.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A thread for the goalkeepers of TalkChelsea - and the world - to come together and discuss the art of goalkeeping.

To begin with, who else feels like laughing at the guy who struck the free-kick for running away thinking he'd scored?! I certianly did.

Game would be a LOT better without keepers ..or at least stopping them using their hands.. be better without refs as well

Neuer it is, IMO.

Not a GK, I suck at it. (well we play 5 vs. 5 so everyone has his turn as a keeper..)

Neuer just exhumes confidence. Unbelievable quality as an actual footballer as well. He must have played outfield as a youngster because his control and technique is brilliant. He'd make a decent midfielder!

Always played as a keeper when I was small, I was actually good at it, but when I was around 12yo I decided to just stick to playing basketball.

Neuer's got to be the best right now. But I'm very glad to see Buffon back to his best this season, he's been amazing. Add Cech to those two and you have a truly incredible top 3 keepers in the world at the moment.

But who's your all-time best keeper? From the ones I've seen, Oliver Kahn is the best.

Always played as a keeper when I was small, I was actually good at it, but when I was around 12yo I decided to just stick to playing basketball.

Neuer's got to be the best right now. But I'm very glad to see Buffon back to his best this season, he's been amazing. Add Cech to those two and you have a truly incredible top 3 keepers in the world at the moment.

But who's your all-time best keeper? From the ones I've seen, Oliver Kahn is the best.

Oliver Kahn would be my 2nd, Peter Schmeichel definitely my first

The first time I read your first line, I thought it read you stopped being a keeper because you were too small. Which raises an interesting point - I would never consider myself to be a very good goalkeeper, but I play at a decent level and I hold some high-ranking coaching badges, and yet I'm only 1.78m. That being said, does size matter? Casillas is only two centimetres taller; and I'm taller than keepers such as Villar and Janot. Gregory Coupet was one of the best and he was "only" 1.81 metres as well.

As for your question about the all-time best keeper - for me, the best keeper of all time is Dino Zoff. Of the goalkeepers of my generation, I have to say while Cech is my hero, Buffon has consistently been either the best, or at the very least been in the top three in the world, since probably 2003.

Neuer it is, IMO.

Not a GK, I suck at it. (well we play 5 vs. 5 so everyone has his turn as a keeper..)

Don't you just hate it when it is your turn to be the goalie? :) That's how I feel. Unless I am tired then I would be more than happy to take someone's turn too :)

Oliver Kahn would be my 2nd, Peter Schmeichel definitely my first

Always thought Schmeilchel was a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously an incredible keeper with a knack for the amazing, but I always thought he was a bit error prone. But he'd definitely be in my top 5.

The first time I read your first line, I thought it read you stopped being a keeper because you were too small. Which raises an interesting point - I would never consider myself to be a very good goalkeeper, but I play at a decent level and I hold some high-ranking coaching badges, and yet I'm only 1.78m. That being said, does size matter? Casillas is only two centimetres taller; and I'm taller than keepers such as Villar and Janot. Gregory Coupet was one of the best and he was "only" 1.81 metres as well.

As for your question about the all-time best keeper - for me, the best keeper of all time is Dino Zoff. Of the goalkeepers of my generation, I have to say while Cech is my hero, Buffon has consistently been either the best, or at the very least been in the top three in the world, since probably 2003.

I think that depends on your jumping a lot, especially if you're playing in a physical league. But height definitely helps. I mean, how many world class keepers have been under 1.85?

Don't you just hate it when it is your turn to be the goalie? :) That's how I feel. Unless I am tired then I would be more than happy to take someone's turn too :)

Yes I do :cry:

Sometime though I have my days when I'm displaying Neuer esque perfomances, then I enjoy it :D

Always thought Schmeilchel was a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously an incredible keeper with a knack for the amazing, but I always thought he was a bit error prone. But he'd definitely be in my top 5.

I think that depends on your jumping a lot, especially if you're playing in a physical league. But height definitely helps. I mean, how many world class keepers have been under 1.85?

I might be only 1.78m, but I'm very strong. I played rugby until I was 18, so I'm quite stocky in my build. I think height is becoming less and less a necessity amongst goalkeepers.

I don't play in any team unfortunately but when I'm just playing with my mates I love playing in the midfield (and I piss most of them off by giving shit loads of crosses since they suck at heading :P )

But I have played a few time as keeper and I did a pretty decent job. Since I play like a keeper regista :P

Play basketball as an afternoon club in my school. Trying to improve my shooting these days since it's one of the few attributes you can work on by yourself.