Call of Duty: Ghosts

BlueLion.

If you haven't yet bought Call of Duty: Ghosts, then you've done yourself a favour.

It is a horrible, horrible game. Generic, camper-friendly maps and a tired mutilplayer in desperate need of a revamp made for an incredibly disappointing game. As an aside - please do a World War I/II game next time around?!

I loved the Modern Warfare series. I disliked the first Black Ops title, and though at first I hated Black Ops 2, I eventually grew to love it. The thing about BO2 and the MW series were that they were fun games. They followed the old "run and gun" principle. Unrealistic, yes, but a helluva lot of fun. Cool guns that were fully customisable, some awesome killstreaks and the maps were varied and exciting.

Ghosts is an apt title for the newest instalment, because the series is quite literally dead. I was hoping that the first expansion pack, Onslaught, featuring four "new" maps, would reignite my passion for the series. Incorrect.

The first of the four is called "Ignition". If you have played MW2, you'll realise it is a rip-off of the hugely popular map "Scrapyard". The difference is, they've killed it. "Scrapyard" was a bright, colourful map featuring four buildings at the North, South, West and East points of the map, with nothing in between. It made for a hugely fun, quick-tempo run-and-gun style map. The latest incarnation has killed it. In a game that encourages corner campers, the addition of even more corners has killed this map. There was a map on the first Black Ops that was set in a missile base. Think of that, but just squashed on top of the original "Scrapyard" map. It's ruined a MW2 classic.

The next map is utterly terrible. It's called "Containment". People hoping for a fast and furious, small-sized map haven't got what they wished for. It is a camper's paradise. Do yourself a favour and don't even bother playing on it. There are corners everywhere you look. It's a rehashed, unoriginal remake of "Strike" from Modern Warfare. Now that was a fun map, wasn't it?! This isn't.

"Fog" is the third map - this one is another tedious map of grandiose camping proportions. It is original inasmuch as it features the Michael Myers easter egg, but this is essentially a Juggernaut Maniac, in a Myers mask, wielding an axe. It does feature Myers' theme music, which is a cool nod to the Halloween movies, but again, the entirety of the game focuses on whichever team manages to reach the multi-tiered house in one of the corners of the map, and camps there until they win. As for the map's design, it is the most "run and gun" of them all, but because it is so dark and, yes, you guessed it - foggy - camping is just as possible.

The one redeeming aspect of the Onslaught package is the final map, "BayView", which is a map from the Black Ops 2 school of "fun". It is the best of a very sorry bunch, though it does somewhat make up for how poor the other maps are.

If you take Ghosts as a whole, including Onslaught, the multiplayer is dead. It's tired and in desperate need of graphical enhancement, and reinvigoration. We've been playing the same game since Modern Warfare 2. The engine is identical, no matter what the fanboys will tell you. This is a multiplayer with two good maps: "BayView" and "Overlord" from the original map pack.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is this: if you haven't already gone out and purchased Onslaught, then great. You're saving yourself from disappointment.

If you haven't even got the game, you're doing even better. Don't waste your time. It's poor.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of reading that essay, I'll review it for you.

It's shit, buy battlefield.

Battlefield is equally as shit. Huge maps, fucking boring, dominated by cunts in helicopters. Yawn. The FPS experience on current gen has been underwhelming.

Battlefield is equally as shit. Huge maps, fucking boring, dominated by cunts in helicopters. Yawn. The FPS experience on current gen has been underwhelming.

You know what's underwhelming... Your dong.

If you haven't yet bought Call of Duty: Ghosts, then you've done yourself a favour.

It is a horrible, horrible game. Generic, camper-friendly maps and a tired mutilplayer in desperate need of a revamp made for an incredibly disappointing game. As an aside - please do a World War I/II game next time around?!

I loved the Modern Warfare series. I disliked the first Black Ops title, and though at first I hated Black Ops 2, I eventually grew to love it. The thing about BO2 and the MW series were that they were fun games. They followed the old "run and gun" principle. Unrealistic, yes, but a helluva lot of fun. Cool guns that were fully customisable, some awesome killstreaks and the maps were varied and exciting.

Ghosts is an apt title for the newest instalment, because the series is quite literally dead. I was hoping that the first expansion pack, Onslaught, featuring four "new" maps, would reignite my passion for the series. Incorrect.

The first of the four is called "Ignition". If you have played MW2, you'll realise it is a rip-off of the hugely popular map "Scrapyard". The difference is, they've killed it. "Scrapyard" was a bright, colourful map featuring four buildings at the North, South, West and East points of the map, with nothing in between. It made for a hugely fun, quick-tempo run-and-gun style map. The latest incarnation has killed it. In a game that encourages corner campers, the addition of even more corners has killed this map. There was a map on the first Black Ops that was set in a missile base. Think of that, but just squashed on top of the original "Scrapyard" map. It's ruined a MW2 classic.

The next map is utterly terrible. It's called "Containment". People hoping for a fast and furious, small-sized map haven't got what they wished for. It is a camper's paradise. Do yourself a favour and don't even bother playing on it. There are corners everywhere you look. It's a rehashed, unoriginal remake of "Strike" from Modern Warfare. Now that was a fun map, wasn't it?! This isn't.

"Fog" is the third map - this one is another tedious map of grandiose camping proportions. It is original inasmuch as it features the Michael Myers easter egg, but this is essentially a Juggernaut Maniac, in a Myers mask, wielding an axe. It does feature Myers' theme music, which is a cool nod to the Halloween movies, but again, the entirety of the game focuses on whichever team manages to reach the multi-tiered house in one of the corners of the map, and camps there until they win. As for the map's design, it is the most "run and gun" of them all, but because it is so dark and, yes, you guessed it - foggy - camping is just as possible.

The one redeeming aspect of the Onslaught package is the final map, "BayView", which is a map from the Black Ops 2 school of "fun". It is the best of a very sorry bunch, though it does somewhat make up for how poor the other maps are.

If you take Ghosts as a whole, including Onslaught, the multiplayer is dead. It's tired and in desperate need of graphical enhancement, and reinvigoration. We've been playing the same game since Modern Warfare 2. The engine is identical, no matter what the fanboys will tell you. This is a multiplayer with two good maps: "BayView" and "Overlord" from the original map pack.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is this: if you haven't already gone out and purchased Onslaught, then great. You're saving yourself from disappointment.

If you haven't even got the game, you're doing even better. Don't waste your time. It's poor.

Tell me something i didnt know.

Ghosts got the hit detection and mechanics pretty good i think. Sound is pretty good, graphics are same old same old, 60fps, no problems etc.

But the maps suck huuuuuuggggeeee donkey dick. And they are pretty much the most important element. Blops 2 had the boat one, which was hench, run around like crazy 60 kills 35 deaths mayhem. I played that game an extra month than i normally do, because the maps were all small and action packed.

But these ones are all huge campers paradised that just look soooo depressing. Like grey everywhere.

Tell me something i didnt know.

Ghosts got the hit detection and mechanics pretty good i think. Sound is pretty good, graphics are same old same old, 60fps, no problems etc.

But the maps suck huuuuuuggggeeee donkey dick. And they are pretty much the most important element. Blops 2 had the boat one, which was hench, run around like crazy 60 kills 35 deaths mayhem. I played that game an extra month than i normally do, because the maps were all small and action packed.

But these ones are all huge campers paradised that just look soooo depressing. Like grey everywhere.

Totally agreed. Visibly, they suck. And then you add in the camper element. Yawn. So uninspiring. I'll be sticking to Killzone. That games looks gorgeous.

kzsf_ss_2013-08-20_gamescom-multiplayer_

That is what I call a map.

The whole point of me making this topic is to say to people: don't bother with the map pack. It's a (further) waste of money.

Totally agreed. Visibly, they suck. And then you add in the camper element. Yawn. So uninspiring. I'll be sticking to Killzone. That games looks gorgeous.

kzsf_ss_2013-08-20_gamescom-multiplayer_

That is what I call a map.

The whole point of me making this topic is to say to people: don't bother with the map pack. It's a (further) waste of money.

Yeah. I have never played killzone, but its visuals are definitely top quality.

They are just milking it now for all they can get. I suppose you can't blame them, because mugs like me still buy it every year lol. Yeah, i stopped playing this cod before christmas. Nothing will ever top modern warfare. That was just (for its time) perfect. Maps gameplay etc.

Hopefully PS4 will either force them to actually adapt and do something revolutionary or some new competitors will rise up and take over. I mean its 2014 and they don't even have destructive enviroments yet. Their big selling point was having a dog with you. And fwiw, i actually find it hard to kill the dogs. Humans no problem, but i always feel bad after shooting a dog. Lol.

Yeah. I have never played killzone, but its visuals are definitely top quality.

They are just milking it now for all they can get. I suppose you can't blame them, because mugs like me still buy it every year lol. Yeah, i stopped playing this cod before christmas. Nothing will ever top modern warfare. That was just (for its time) perfect. Maps gameplay etc.

Hopefully PS4 will either force them to actually adapt and do something revolutionary or some new competitors will rise up and take over. I mean its 2014 and they don't even have destructive enviroments yet. Their big selling point was having a dog with you. And fwiw, i actually find it hard to kill the dogs. Humans no problem, but i always feel bad after shooting a dog. Lol.

Talking of how its hard to kill dogs... those little fuckers are bloody bullet-proof!

You're right. Call of Duty haven't been able to utilise current gen technologies. I really hope they go back to the drawing boards for the next game. Make a World War 1 or 2 game. Please.

Talking of how its hard to kill dogs... those little fuckers are bloody bullet-proof!

You're right. Call of Duty haven't been able to utilise current gen technologies. I really hope they go back to the drawing boards for the next game. Make a World War 1 or 2 game. Please.

At the end of the day Ghosts was a 360 and PS3 game that was just brought onto the next gen consoles. Was never made for it.

It truly is a shocking game. I'm still addidcted to it though.

The maps are hurrendous to say the least. The hitmarkers are beyond a joke and certain guns are just ridiculously overpowered. Also I hate that if you come up against two players you very rarely kill them both. For some reason you can unload a whole clip on them and neither will die but yet they shoot a few bullets and your dead. Bullshit buddy.. pure bullshit!

S6Toq.gif

:woo:

:lol:

Granted. But you'd have liked to have thought they'd have made some changes.

They were never going to though. It was always going to be like this. It's their last attempt at making some sort of a decent game for the old generation before hopefully bringing out something decent for the new product