Chelsea - Real Madrid 1971 cup winners cup final

cosmicway

Chelsea's first European trophy, in Athens, in May 1971.

The result was 2-1.

This match was a replay, as the two teams drew 1-1 and there were no penalty shootouts.

The video of the first match is not in youtube, but we were ahead 1-0 (Osgood) and Zocco

equalised in the dying seconds of extra time. There was a guard of evzons to accompany the winners and they had already taken positions when Zocco equalised.

The Greek crowd supported Chelsea in both matches. Some say this happened so the English fans support Panathinaikos against Ajax at Wembley but it's not true because Panathinaikos was disliked at the time and the terraces were going to be 100% Madrid on such grounds.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I remember I was Chelsea before that, because there was the final against Spurs in 1967 and I recall being sad because we lost 2-1. However 1969-70 was the first year we had tv. The two clashes between Chelsea and Leeds were among the first matches broadcasted in Greece, through network Eurovision and made great impression. But the first ever was for the intercontinental cup, AC Milan v Estudiantes of Argentina in October 1969. Back in 1966 the world cup final England v. Germany was broadcasted from video the next day - I 'm told.

I have been a fan since Chelsea played Leeds in the 1970 cup Final. My Dad was a big Leeds fan at the time, so that made my mind up (well that and the fantastic blue jersey and the shorts with the single white stripe....Class kit) I had to be Chelsea, and boy am I glad. Never looked back and loved every minute !!!!!!