Fulham v Chelsea

Jase

Anyone who wants DL in defenxe should be tested for mental stability

Scolari and a bunch others are already waiting in line. :)

Anyone who expects JT and Cahill to play every single game until the end of the season should be tested as well. :rolleyes:

You increase the odds of scoring by incurring into more risk (of conceding)... very simple concept if you think about it. You do that by committing more players forward, like unleashing an attacking-minded defender if you've got one.

I'll make it very simple: David Luiz would play in midfield even though officially he will start in defense. It also helps that we play a defensive-minded fullback next to him.

That's how Brazil overwhelms the smaller teams in the WC (by committing players forward) and we should learn how to do the same - cannot drop points (by not beating) these bottom feeders.

Scolari and a bunch others are already waiting in line. :)

Anyone who expects JT and Cahill to play every single game until the end of the season should be tested as well. :rolleyes:

You increase the odds of scoring by incurring into more risk (of conceding)... very simple concept if you think about it. You do that by committing more players forward, like unleashing an attacking-minded defender if you've got one.

I'll make it very simple: David Luiz would play in midfield even though officially he will start in defense. It also helps that we play a defensive-minded fullback next to him.

That's how Brazil overwhelms the smaller teams in the WC (by committing players forward) and we should learn how to do the same - cannot drop points (by not beating) these bottom feeders.

Is scolari our coach? Oh wait!!! That ego maniac got his ass fired 5 years ago.

Anyways when a person writes something in a "talkchelsea" forum and moreover in a match thread, it becones quite ovvious that he would be talking about chelsea. But I can see why you would bring brazil into the mix, since that is the ONLY defence left to luiz in defence.

Let me enlighten u here. We are not brazil. We don't play this way AT ALL. Jose likes solidity at the back and well to think he ll tactically ask luiz to break rank is a laughable idea to me. I don't know how u got the idea of us playing this way but I can wager ANYTHING that this won't be it.

Also considering the fact that we are top of the table, I would say we do know how to beat lower teams. Also I really wanna know who we should drop to incoprate luiz. Our captain, without whom we did drop points at wba and looked like a fish out of water against city or one of our defender of the season who well has been consistently brilliant for 2 and a half months now.

Is scolari our coach? Oh wait!!! That ego maniac got his ass fired 5 years ago.

Anyways when a person writes something in a "talkchelsea" forum and moreover in a match thread, it becones quite ovvious that he would be talking about chelsea. But I can see why you would bring brazil into the mix, since that is the ONLY defence left to luiz in defence.

Let me enlighten u here. We are not brazil. We don't play this way AT ALL. Jose likes solidity at the back and well to think he ll tactically ask luiz to break rank is a laughable idea to me. I don't know how u got the idea of us playing this way but I can wager ANYTHING that this won't be it.

Also considering the fact that we are top of the table, I would say we do know how to beat lower teams. Also I really wanna know who we should drop to incoprate luiz. Our captain, without whom we did drop points at wba and looked like a fish out of water against city or one of our defender of the season who well has been consistently brilliant for 2 and a half months now.

Please spare me of your rhetoric and address the points I made.

So you think we need solidity at the back to play Fulham at home. Ok, I completely disagree.

For me losing 2 points to Fulham at home is just as bad as losing 3. If we are indeed title contenders that is.

Please spare me of your rhetoric and address the points I made.

So you think we need solidity at the back to play Fulham at home. Ok, I completely disagree.

For me losing 2 points to Fulham at home is just as bad as losing 3. If we are indeed title contenders that is.

What points?? The point that we will change our whole system to break the great wall of fulham ( who by the way havr conceded the most no. Of goals this season). Sorry but simply don't think we need to be that desperate.

Yes, we need solidity against any team to win the natch. This is a fulham team that scored 2 against both pool n United in the last month. infact our USP has been concedinf the least no. Of goals and playing as a unit in a particular system.

So I massively diaagree with even the possilbility of US playing in yiur said manner.

So u think one point means nothing? (This does not mean that I would like a draw or be happy with it). But in a title race where 4 points separate 1st and 4th, every point is crucial. One point is the difference between us beong on top of the table rather than arsenal. Every point here is CRUCIAL.

Mitrologolololololololu is out for this match, confirmed by Magath.

Oly fans say he is to move on to Liverpool and he is only making a short stop at Fulham.

I don't know what you think of power strikers but he 's a good one.

Reminds me -a little- of Ossie, but Ossie was a better ball player of course.

What points?? The point that we will change our whole system to break the great wall of fulham ( who by the way havr conceded the most no. Of goals this season). Sorry but simply don't think we need to be that desperate.

Yes, we need solidity against any team to win the natch. This is a fulham team that scored 2 against both pool n United in the last month. infact our USP has been concedinf the least no. Of goals and playing as a unit in a particular system.

So I massively diaagree with even the possilbility of US playing in yiur said manner.

So u think one point means nothing? (This does not mean that I would like a draw or be happy with it). But in a title race where 4 points separate 1st and 4th, every point is crucial. One point is the difference between us beong on top of the table rather than arsenal. Every point here is CRUCIAL.

yes that's exactly what I meant as I have no intention of revisiting old discussions.

Fair enough, on the disagreement.

I don't think it's as binary as you are making it out to be. As you commit more players forward, by say playing DL in defense/middle (or say Matic!), you lose defensively, but it's not all or nothing. The balance has got to be different when playing a shitty side like Fulham vs a City.

How about at half time? Say it's 0x0 at half time would that be the time to commit more players forward? IMO getting this balance right is one of the most difficult things for head coaches.

Staying in the PL, Arsenal is a club that commit more players forward from the get go and they are doing fine, esp against these types at home. They do struggle away from home against tough opponents, perhaps because they don't know how /don't want to be more defensive when needed.

Just a reminder, City is yet to play a game, so we are "temporarily" top of the table. The PL's going to be a tight affair as the table suggests. I reckon dropping points against Fulham won't do us any good.

I think the key for us not to struggle tomorrow is more the midfield than the attack

I don't think our defense will be that harassed, although Terry and Iva might be really tired.

Back to midfield, if Luiz is fit, I can't see other combo, but Matic/Luiz. We won't play again until next Saturday, so the players will have time to recover. Not only Luiz is more composed than Ramires in the midfield, but also Ramires may be very tired. Mikel became a non-factor for me the moment we bought Matic and should be used only when Nemanja can't play, and even then, cautiously. Lampard is probably very tired and I don't think he should even be in the bench in all honesty. But we're sort of shortlisted if David isn't fit and can't play. In that case I'd play Rami and pray for God to help us.

In the attack I'd start the same AMs that started against Gala, except Oscar for Eden. I've been campaigning for Oscar's extended rest for a couple of weeks, but now Eden looks as much tired. I don't think we'll play counter - even if the game is away - otherwise, I'd even have Rami in the RW - although I hate it, but desperate times calls desperate measures. Good thing I don't think we'll need pace. I don't want Salah anywhere near the starting eleven, and if he's an unused sub, all that much better. He's useless for us right now (because of the reality shock with the physicality of EPL especially compared to Swiss footie), let's give him minutes at the Bridge, moderately, coming in the second (even if early) and get him better used next season.

The attack, I'd say go with Eto'o, although Torres was decent against Gala, but I still believe the key will be our midfield. Hopefully Oscar (who I believe will play) or Willian or even Luiz again can score a screamer, early in the game (15-25 mark) or one of our good headers get in in a corner. I don't really care about performance in this match because it's a derby, crazy things happen in those and we've been fucked by the FA - as usual - with this match scheduled for a Saturday. Many players won't have much legs, which is why I believe Schurrle, Oscar and Willian should play, with Eden coming for Schurrle around the 60' mark (or 70' if André can take it, as Mourinho said he was subbed last Wednesday because he was struggling physically after not playing many minutes for so long (and I wonder whose fault is that)).

yes that's exactly what I meant as I have no intention of revisiting old discussions.

Fair enough, on the disagreement.

I don't think it's as binary as you are making it out to be. As you commit more players forward, by say playing DL in defense/middle (or say Matic!), you lose defensively, but it's not all or nothing. The balance has got to be different when playing a shitty side like Fulham vs a City.

How about at half time? Say it's 0x0 at half time would that be the time to commit more players forward? IMO getting this balance right is one of the most difficult things for head coaches.

Staying in the PL, Arsenal is a club that commit more players forward from the get go and they are doing fine, esp against these types at home. They do struggle away from home against tough opponents, perhaps because they don't know how /don't want to be more defensive when needed.

Just a reminder, City is yet to play a game, so we are "temporarily" top of the table. The PL's going to be a tight affair as the table suggests. I reckon dropping points against Fulham won't do us any good.

Fair enough. But as u said, the most important thing here is balance. Throwing n commiting bodies ahead works if u have good cover. For us, if dl plays the free Cb role then we are open to counters with JT being our last man. Simply not a good situation especially against soneone like bent. Plus I think we are massively underating fulham. They have good players, a new manager ( which mormalky works well for a team), their first home match under him , that too a derby against their closest rivals. They will be up for it, add to that our tiredness and fatigue, it has a look of a difficult outing rather than a walk in the park/attack till they crack u expect.

Arsenal play a certain way whike we play another. Not fair to compare these 2 and expect one of tge teams to go the way of the itger one.

If u ask me, we need dl's legs in the mid for tomorrow. Him n matic to carry our pressing game forwars along with oscar.

Mourinho on Hazard: "He can not have a rest in the club. In the national team, he doesn’t have to play friendly matches" #CFC

Mourinho: "I prefer Hazard on the pitch even if he’s tried because I know he can produce things. I prefer to have him on the pitch than not"

LOL can people stop acting as if D. Luiz is the worst CB on earth? This is ridiculous.

especially against a side like Fulham... do they expect them to score as if they were City?

The overreaction about Luiz's quality is really annoying here.

Everyone admits he's in bad form, quite behind both Cahill and Terry, but he isn't as bad as they make him out to be. Ridiculous

Mourinho on Hazard: "He can not have a rest in the club. In the national team, he doesn’t have to play friendly matches" #CFC

Mourinho: "I prefer Hazard on the pitch even if he’s tried because I know he can produce things. I prefer to have him on the pitch than not"

if Eden isn't going to be rested, then I'd play exactly the same trio as Gala. At least one between him and Oscar should be rested. Too bad Mourinho won't rest him. Let's hope it doesn't backfire.