• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelsea vs Manchester United
The UEFA Champions League Final

fixdrogbaart40020080501hg2.jpg

Wednesday 21 May, 19:45 BST Kick-off, Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow, Russia

Chelsea and Manchester United clash in an epic all-English encounter in the UEFA Champions League Final.

It is the first time that two English sides have met in the final and only the third occasion in the history of the competition that two teams from the same country will battle for the ultimate European club honour.

Both teams battled through difficult groups, with Chelsea pipping the likes of Schalke, Rosenborg BK and CF Valencia to top spot in their group, whilst Manchester United overcame AS Roma, Sporting Lisbon and Dynamo Kyiv.

The Blues swept aside Olympiakos 3-0 on aggregate before taking on Fenerbahce in the quarter-finals. The away leg against the Greek side was a dull affair, but an impressive display at Stamford Bridge saw the Blues move on through the knockout rounds. Fenerbahce proved more-troublesome opponents, and only goals from Ballack and Lampard saw Avram Grant's side progress to the semi-finals, after the Blues had lost 2-1 in Istanbul.

United's journey was no less difficult, the English champions took on the best of France as Olympique Lyonnais locked horns with Sir Alex Ferguson's side. Carlos Tevez netted a crucial last-minute equaliser at the Stade Gerland after Karim Benzema's opener, and Cristiano Ronaldo sealed up the tie with a 1-0 win at Old Trafford. They then took on AS Roma, a team they had beaten and drawn against in the group stage, and defeated them 3-0 on aggregate.

The semi-finals involving these two English giants offered two pulsating ties as United faced the might of Barcelona whilst Chelsea faced Liverpool for the third time in four seasons at this stage of the competition. United progressed to the final thanks to a Paul Scholes thunderbolt, but the best of the games was saved till last as Chelsea defeated Liverpool 3-2 and 4-3 on aggregate. Didier Drogba netted twice at Stamford Bridge and Frank Lampard scored a crucial penalty, but goals from Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel underlined Liverpool's never-say-die attitude, but the Blues proved too strong for the Merseyside team.

The final is a repeat of last season's FA Cup final at Wembley, and recent games have underlined how evenly matched the sides are. The last four league meetings between the two sides have seen both sides win one, draw 2 and lose the other, whilst cup games ended 1-0 in the cup final and only penalties could separate the two sides in the Community Shield. And with just goal difference separating England's top two teams in the FA Premier League, the Champions League final offers to be an intriguingly tight affair full of drama, passion and bravery.

Come on you Blues!

Edited by DavidEU

Ive booked the whole week off work so i'm gonna enjoy the whole build up and everything and not have anything else to think about. Be good to be off thursday too. Surely this has to be our time, its got to happen. We have an awesome record against Man Utd and i really believe we're gonna do it. Its gonna be one nervy day. I spose its a shame we have to play them out of all the teams like Barca, Real Madrid, Milan etc but at least we've got a team that we always do so well against. Last season utd won the league and then we beat em in a cup final. It looks as tho the mancs have the league again so its time to have the last laugh like last year.

Gotta win otherwise getting to the final be completly pointless.As long as it aint like the FA cup final lol can deal

1-0 us I think..I hope...come on Chels!First final,win it!!!

Make no mistake, I'd take a repeat of those 120 minutes.

that video is stupid

in truth we cant predict this game

the only thing for certain is it will be one hell of a game

lets get behind the boys