West Brom - Match Preview

Barbara

The Match
As the newly crowned league leaders, Chelsea will travel to West Bromwich this Tuesday and will play the Baggies for the 26th week in the Premier League. The match will be held at the Hawthorns, 20:00GMT and the visitors will look forward to keep their position at the top of table. It’s the first time the Blues see no one ahead of them at the league since November 2012. But the West Bromwich trip hasn't been an easy one for the Londoners in the last two seasons, as they lost both matches. The teams have faced each other 130 times in which Chelsea won 54, drew 34 and lost 42, including the 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge earlier this season. When visiting West Brom, the head-to-head is 21 wins, 13 draws and 23 losses for Chelsea.

The Opposition
The Baggies have been struggling to stay in the league currently, being the first team into the relegation zone with only 23 points after 25 matches. Newly appointed manager Pepe Mel is going to be in the dugout for the fifth time since his appointment, but is yet to collect his first win with the team. The consolation prize for the Black Country side is that they were very close to beating Chelsea in the meeting at Stamford Bridge earlier this season, when a 93rd minute penalty on Ramires – which has been contested by many – and converted by Eden Hazard assured a draw for the home team, saving Mourinho’s spectacular unbeatable home record ahead of the Blues.

Team news
West Brom (LDLDL)
Mel still has problems in the medical department and while Stephane Sessegnon is a confirmed absence (groin injury), ex-blue striker Nicolas Anelka (knee) and Jonas Olsson (hamstring) are unlikely to make an appearance. In addition to them defender Billy Jones will undergo a late fitness test on Tuesday morning to assess his conditions for the match.

Player to watch: Thievy Bifouma has made his debut for the Baggies in the 3x1 loss to Crystal Palace last weekend and scored the maiden goal for Mel’s side. The striker is likely to start his first match at the Hawthorns.

Possible line-up (4-4-2): Foster; Ridgewell, McAuley, Lugano, Dawson; Yacob, Morrison, Mulumbu, Brunt; Anichebe, Bifoum.

Chelsea (WWDWW)
Manager José Mourinho confirmed Fernando Torres is back in the team after missing three weeks, but skipper John Terry is still out and must only come back to team in FA Cup battle against Manchester City at the weekend. Despite Terry’s absence, Mourinho expects the defense to keep the momentum, and a partnership between Gary Cahill and David Luiz is likely to start their second match in a row, after yet another clean sheet in the weekend against Newcastle. In the attack, despite Torres’ return, Samuel Eto'o is probably going to keep his position. The question is if Mourinho will favor the Spaniard over Demba Ba. The latter has scored six goals in his latest six appearances against the Baggies. In addition to that there shouldn’t be any surprises in the line-up and the Portuguese is likely to repeat the team against Newcastle with the only likely change being Ramires for Frank Lampard.

Player to watch: Eden Hazard
The Belgian has just scored his first hat-trick for the Blues, in the victory against Newcastle by as many goals. The numbers – provided by EPL Index – tell the story themselves about Chelsea’s hot player.

Capture2-340x410.png

Possible line-up (4-2-3-1): Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Azpilicueta; Matic, Ramires; Wilian, Oscar, Hazard; Eto'o.

Match Facts

• West Brom have won only one of their last 15 league games and are currently in a four losses streak under manager Pepe Mel.
  • The home team has the least wins in the league (four) and the most draws (11).
  • Sixteen different players have scored a Premier League goal for WBA this season, more than any other side in the top flight.
  • The Baggies have kept just three clean sheets in their last 22 league games at The Hawthorns, and they have won just one of their last seven home matches (W1 D4 L2).
  • Chelsea have kept clean sheets in each of their last four away games.
  • The Blues have won five, drew one and lost just one in their last seven away matches.
  • After losing their first 11 Premier League meetings with Chelsea, West Brom have lost just one of the last four (W2 D1 L1).
  • The Baggies have seen 16 different players score a Premier League goal for them this season; more than any other side in the competition.
  • Chelsea have earned 26 points out of the last possible 30 and kept seven clean sheets in nine games.
  • The Blues have the best defense in the league - 20 goals conceded (six less than the second best).
  • Eden Hazard scored his first Premier League hat-trick against Newcastle, summing 12 for the season – three more than in his first year with the club.
  • The Blues have scored 11 goals from outside the box in open play this season in the Premier League, more than any other side.

Match Odds
By Skybet

West Brom – 13/2
Draw – 16/5
Chelsea – 4/9

TV Coverage
United Kingdom: BBC One
Belgium: Sporting 1, Prime Sport, Be Sport 1
Brazil: FoxSports (HD)
Canada: Sportsnet
India: Star Sports 2 (HD), Star Sports 4
Middle East: beIn Sports Arabia 1 HD
United States: NBCSN
For additional regions, you can check out the TV schedule for the match here.

There should be many match streams that can be found online if your local sports channels are not broadcasting the game or if you happen to be busy and cannot catch the game live, follow TalkChelsea on Twitter as it would provide live match commentary on the action.

Click here to view article

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what should we do with you if we don't win? :Goober:

no more bets.

But my wonderful job now requires meetings on Tuesdays' afternoons and it'll take the entirety of the match (I know, it SUCKS).

Would you or @CHOULO19 or @ kindly tweet me when goals are scored (hopefully only Chelsea will score) so I can receive a notification on my phone? I'm dying for not watching it :(

pls pls pls?

edit: btw when does the light saving time end for you guys in England? you're one hour behind your 'natural' time aren't you?

no more bets.

But my wonderful job now requires meetings on Tuesdays' afternoons and it'll take the entirety of the match (I know, it SUCKS).

Would you or @CHOULO19 or @ kindly tweet me when goals are scored (hopefully only Chelsea will score) so I can receive a notification on my phone? I'm dying for not watching it :(

pls pls pls?

edit: btw when does the light saving time end for you guys in England? you're one hour behind your 'natural' time aren't you?

Yeah, no problem sweetie. I'll probably be doing the feed for TalkChelsea so I'll send you a tweet when something happens.

no more bets.

pls pls pls?

Yeah, no problem sweetie. I'll probably be doing the feed for TalkChelsea so I'll send you a tweet when something happens.

Meh. I'll send you a direct text message instead. :ph34r:

That's some excellent work considering you did it all in about an hour. Well done @Barbara :yes:

How long do you take to write a preview Choulo? I never take more than 40-45min...

The Newcastle one (that I did late at night and kind of fast) took me about half an hour to write it!

How long do you take to write a preview Choulo? I never take more than 40-45min...

The Newcastle one (that I did late at night and kind of fast) took me about half an hour to write it!

I usually don't do it all at once. I just open a few links like some tactical analysis and the stats sheet of each team and write a paragraph when I get a few minutes every couple of hours.