Unpopular Football Opinions

Shane

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pele is overrated. Like Sugar Ray Robinson, Babe Ruth, Wilt Chamberlin. Dominated in a time where there wasn't as much comp. and if he played now would be incredibly average.

I agree with that except in respect with Sugar Ray Robinson. You can't say he didn't fight any good competition.

True. Basilio, Lamotta, and Fullmer were all great. But what would he have done vs Hagler, Hearns, and Sugar Ray Leonard?

I hadn't seen that goal before but now I looked it up, it's quite awesome. If Chelsea had scored that we'd all be dead right now out of dehydration from excessive jizzing.

It's pretty much on par with this (of course Lampsy's flick was much more awesome).

This is, probably, my favourite Chelsea goal ever, in terms of beauty, but I've always had a doubt regarding Drogba's possition there. Isn't him offside?.

Unpopular football opinion: the atmosphere on the Premier League stadiums is depressing.

This is, probably, my favourite Chelsea goal ever, in terms of beauty, but I've always had a doubt regarding Drogba's possition there. Isn't him offside?.

Pause the video when Frank touches the ball, I'm pretty sure Bolton's right back is at least on the same line as Dids.

Pause the video when Frank touches the ball, I'm pretty sure Bolton's right back is at least on the same line as Dids.

Yes, that's probably right. The angle doesn't really help, though. Nevertheless, great goal. Fantastic.

Ronaldo and Messi need to star in a World Cup to truly cement themselves as one of the best of all time.

I disagree. The argentinian and the portuguese national teams are simply not good enough. One player could not win a world cup.

And what about Ibra? He has never got a chance(and never will) to play in a WC final..

I disagree. The argentinian and the portuguese national teams are simply not good enough. One player could not win a world cup.

And what about Ibra? He has never got a chance(and never will) to play in a WC final..

I didn't say win, I said Star in one.

Ibra will not go down as one of the greatest in all time anyway to be honest.

Lampard is and always was better than Scholes and Gerrard.

Messi is a class A cunt.

Pep Guardiola is more overrated than Januzaj.

I always liked Kalou.

Mata is overrated(WAS my favorite player until he left tho')

I always cheer for English clubs in the Champions league except Arsenal.

I like Harry Redknapp.

:ph34r::ph34r:

Please name some of these many flaws?

Firstly, I should point out that I over-exagerrated 'many' flaws, but this is the unpopular oninion thread. I am just bemused by people picking him for the World XIs etc based on this season so far. I suppose that is my reaction to people building him up to this infallible titan at the back of the City defence.

I think he is a defensive liability at times, whilst he has games where he looks imperious at the back (as Luiz does), I think he gets carried away, though not as badly as Luiz. I have watched a lot of him this season and I think he rushes out too much. No doubt, he is probably the most talented CB in the league but I have always been of the opinion that especially for defensive players consistency>talent ceiling. Same reason why I'd be happy to accept any 35m+ offer for Luiz (unless, somehow, Jose could get him to play consistently well @ CB/DM). This is not a Luiz thread so I will stop my digression there.

I am judging him by high standards because he is a top player and I see some people putting him in their 'World XIs' which is just wrong based on this season. I am not American and nor do I have the time, so I will not reel off a wave of stats of questionable veracity and utility about tackles or whatever else people use to prove players' credentials. I am just making my observations about how he plays, and he's not all that, in my - granted - unpopular opinion.