Free Kicks / Corners

Last season we didn't have anyone particularly good at through balls. With Fabregas in the team we shouldn't have this problem anymore. His through balls are great, one of the best out there.

The problem is so much more than just having no one good at playing through balls. How do you expect one to play through ball when the players don't make off the ball movement? Hardly anyone make themselves available to receive the pass, getting in behing defenders and/or even just move about to drag players around and creating space for to play those through balls. I mentioned this several times last season, when we play with Hazard-Oscar-Willian, we don't have enough runners off the ball. All 3 of them like to get on the ball and dictate/create things from there. Only Schurrle and arguably Salah provide off the ball movement. Oscar can do that as well but since his job was to create more than anything else, then we don't get much from him in terms of that.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is so much more than just having no one good at playing through balls. How do you expect one to play through ball when the players don't make off the ball movement? Hardly anyone make themselves available to receive the pass, getting in behing defenders and/or even just move about to drag players around and creating space for to play those through balls. I mentioned this several times last season, when we play with Hazard-Oscar-Willian, we don't have enough runners off the ball. All 3 of them like to get on the ball and dictate/create things from there. Only Schurrle and arguably Salah provide off the ball movement. Oscar can do that as well but since his job was to create more than anything else, then we don't get much from him in terms of that.

Yes, but it's all interconnected. We play to players' strengths, and while our attacking midfielders are pretty good passers, none of them are pass masters like Fabregas. Passing isn't our AMs' greatest strength. I'm sure Jose saw the problem too and that's why we bought Fabregas--because he offers something different. Sure, to get the most out of Fabregas's vision and passing skills, we'll need our wingers(and Oscar) to run. Schurrle should get--and hopefully will get--more chances next season.

I'm just happy Luiz won't be gifting the ball back to the opposition anymore. But God help us all if Ivanovic decides to take over long distance free kicks, he tried a few last season and it was dreadful.

Oscar : Short freekicks. Showed last season he had begun to get a hang of them. I like his technique.

Fabregas : Corners and set pieces. He used to take nice ones at Arsenal. Can get that bend on it and rarely under-hits/over-hits them.

Eden : Penalties. He doesn't miss.

I suggested last season that we simply give the opposition a goal kick whenever we get a corner. At least this way we don't run the risk of conceding on the counter!

And to think we were one of the best teams in Europe from corners and set-pieces the season before last. I think this is were we missed Mata (and Frank) most.

Hopefully, Cesc can fill some of that gap.