Free Kicks / Corners

Willian's deliveries from both freekicks and corners have been pretty awful in the last couple of games. Oscar obviously has practiced, which is good cos he usually plays. The problem with both Luiz and Lamps is for every freekick scored they hammer 30 in the stands or in the wall. IMO you should always try to get them at goal, even if you know you can't score, so a deflection or a bad save from the keeper can still lead to a goal.

Also one of our problems is that we got no left footed set piece taker any more. So Matic or Salah should learn to take freekicks. In general I am always surprised that professionals who get shitloads of money to practice playing football for years need dozens of tries to get some decent set pieces together. Even as an amateur I used to hammer one in the top corner once in a while. However I guess the pressure does indeed play a part.

so I'd have

Indirect long range free-kicks 30m+

Lamps

Direct long range free-kicks 30m+

Lamps, Luiz

Direct medium range freekicks 25-30

Luiz, Schürrle

Indirect medium range freekicks

Lamps,

Close range direct less than 25m

Oscar, Lamps

Close range indirect

Lamps, Oscar, Willian (if he gets his shit together)

Corners

Lamps, Oscar, Willian

but as said above, anyone feeling confident about the kick should get a chance. Thing is, if you are no regular taker the pressure is even higher, so the players should communicate in advance.

In general set pieces are something we really have to work on. Mata has left and Lamps will probably leave in summer, so our only natural set piece takers are gone,w e have to find new ones.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about the technique these days.William has got a mean cross especially coming from a 7-8 o'clock position to swerve the ball into the crowded area from 30+ yards out

Direct FK from that sort of range should be left to Luiz or Lamps, if he is playing, since only those have the confidence atm to go for it and the technique is quite accurate as well.

Closer to the goal, I'd go with Oscar or Hazard.

And we do miss Mata at corners so much. Lamps at corners is the next best thing we have with Willain not providing that extra bit of magic like we had with Mata.

Is it just me or are FK/Corners from left footed players more aesthetic?

In my opinion the art of taking great corners seems to have been lost. More often than not they hit the first man or fly overeverybody and out for a throw. I find it so frustrating!!

Freekicks for me has to be oscar, hazard or willian just outside the box and luiz or lamps further out.

why should all freekicks be a direct atempt on goal?....why not pass it in?...we have gr8 players who are so good in the air!!

corners are another issue!! we were so good at this!!

to not beat the first man is kinda disgusting.......i think hazard should step up to freekicks and willian to corners(after better practise!)

infact this is the only thing left to 'fix' other than the obvious lack of a deadly point man...:)

I've got to admit this is one of the only areas of our game i feel we're letting ourselves down, with Hazard alone drawing an average of 2.8 fouls per game, not to mention Willian and Oscar, we really should be converting more set pieces, especially when you consider we've got players like JT (6'1) Cahill (6'3) Matic (6'4) Ivanovic (6'2) and last but not least Luiz (6'2)

Our corner kicks are, for the most part, absolutely dog-shite. I don't want Hazard on them as he should be loitering on the edge of the box. Wouldn't mind seeing someone like Luiz or Oscar on them, but for the most part Lampard is our best corner taker.

oscar.gif?1390752977

This was sublime from Oscar, maybe he's the way to go but surely we need more practice and consistency. Willian does not impress me at all with his corners, some one else needs to step up.

• 5 months later...

I wonder who's going to take free kicks, corners and penalties this season.

Penalties: Hazard, but maybe even Costa?

Corners: Cesc might. He was Arsenal's main corner taker I think.

Not sure about free kicks. Willian/Oscar/Cesc?

Adding to the FK/corners problem, one more major thing i have noticed last season is our team's passing between the lines which is atrocious compared to top teams.For example look at david silva making himself available in between the opposition team lines and making through balls to strikers and wingers.Instead of midfielders dropping back they should make themselves available in spaces.

Adding to the FK/corners problem, one more major thing i have noticed last season is our team's passing between the lines which is atrocious compared to top teams.For example look at david silva making himself available in between the opposition team lines and making through balls to strikers and wingers.Instead of midfielders dropping back they should make themselves available in spaces.

Last season we didn't have anyone particularly good at through balls. With Fabregas in the team we shouldn't have this problem anymore. His through balls are great, one of the best out there.