Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Didn't AVB say in a press conference about 4 months ago that the club were negotiating a deal with his agent?? Two situations:

1) It's to prevent him from leaving on a free because he still has a good market value. We should be able to get 10 million for him considering the likes of Ngog went for 5 I believe

2) It's to keep him as a backup which I am not totally against. If we are getting rid of Drogba, Malouda and co. all in one transfer window, we might not be able to sign "squad players"

I just hope that it isn't offering him ridiculous wages considering his contributions and isn't more than a 2 year deal.

Very good post Meera, totally agreed on all accounts. I've always liked him as a squad player, plus he is still relatively young.

Very good post Meera, totally agreed on all accounts. I've always liked him as a squad player, plus he is still relatively young.

Squad players don't deserve 80 grand a week, which is reportedly what he wants. I love Kalou and all, but he's got to step up if he wants that kind of money.

Right now if we had to keep one of Kalou or Malouda this summer, ill keep Kalou everytime.

Kalou tries to make things happen and tries to liven us up and once in a while suceed's in doing just that. Malouda it's just 40 yard shot's, back passes or running into the first defender, very repetitive and boring.

Right now if we had to keep one of Kalou or Malouda this summer, ill keep Kalou everytime.

Kalou tries to make things happen and tries to liven us up and once in a while suceed's in doing just that. Malouda it's just 40 yard shot's, back passes or running into the first defender, very repetitive and boring.

I agree, though to be fair, Malouda had a fairly solid performance vs. Napoli

Squad players don't deserve 80 grand a week, which is reportedly what he wants. I love Kalou and all, but he's got to step up if he wants that kind of money.

That's a very good point - but I wouldn't mind keeping him for one year at 80k provided that most of the following: Drogba, Torres, Malouda, Ferriera, Hilario, Benayoun leave. He is decent & experienced backup and if we really are going to have this overhaul in the summer, it would be good to save the money on a 'backup' player for a year since we'll be spending loads on players for the more important positions.

We've got ourselves into this pay-every-single-player-atleast-70k-and-deal-with-the-consequences-later hole so it'll take a new cycle of players to get that wage level down because none of the current players from the 2004-2010 seasons would accept a lower deal.

Of course, these contract negotiations have been going on for quite some time. His agent made a comment a few months back that Kalou was looking for the promise of more playing time by AVB which I guess is what has stalled the talks.

I guess we could get away with 80k a week if they're performance based, say a basic wage of 55k, plus 12.5 for every game he starts and 12.5 per goal. That would bring it up to 80 and put the onus on him to get out and earn that money.

with a REDUCTION for below average performances