Ray Wilkins MBE

Fulham Broadway

It was weird at first. Here we were, absolutely proper shit- and then we had the National team captain at 18. I knew fans of other teams that fucking hated us, pitied us for falling from 1970s glam boys into a debt ridden joke. These fans like most back then, properly supported England. Suddenly they had to respect us, Ray was brilliant playing for England, and as Chelsea fans it was a real boost.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremely sad day as a Chelsea and football fan. Before my time, but my dad grew up supporting Chelsea in the 60's/70's and speaks fondly of Ray Wilkins.

I didn't always agree with his punditry in recent years but what cannot be denied is that he was a Chelsea boy through and through, one of the few pro Chelsea pundits around.

His success with Ancelotti as a coach here only further enhanced his status and the reaction to his death not just by Chelsea fans, but all manner of clubs, footballers, pundits, etc across England and further afield shows just what respect he had earned.

Will be sorely missed.

Nigel.Quashie on Wilkins

I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even meet you. If it wasn’t for you I would never have started my career playing football and will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first team squad. 1hr 30 mins before kick off you name the team and I was in it and that’s how my debut went, I didn’t even get to think about it because all you said was your number 18, here are your boots and shin pads , just go and play, have fun and treat it like your over the park with your mates . My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn’t afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone. I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her, you said use my mobile and call this number, it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus, I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn’t afford it, she told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then told me Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life during the week and he wanted to surprise me knowing I was making my debut. I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins one of the legends of the game and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change. You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class. Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins

In my opinion this club never recovered from the moment Ray was sacked. We've been in decline ever since not just in quality of the squad but also in terms of attitude on and off the pitch and the passion for the club and the badge. The circumstances in which he was let go has to be the single biggest mistake the club (and there have been quite a few) has done in the Roman era. Unacceptable and unforgivable. 

My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in Piece, Ray.