Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Yup he is realy poor atm. Or better say far from his best.

no he is not. against city he was one of our best players. its cesc thats making him look bad.

any person trying to hold the mid alone will look poor. makelele had essien/ballack and lamps along with whom who were all brilliant in every aspect of the game. cesc is so poor defensively that its shocking...

It’s Not You, It’s My Tactics: Francis Coquelin and the Impossibility of the Defensive Midfielder

Good article about defensive midfielders. Matic gets a mention as his 3 league performances are being analysed - albeit not in-depth.

Is it really Matic who has been poor, or the fact he's doing two midfielders' defensive duties at the minute, as Cesc is that badly out of form? I'm inclined to think it is a combination of the both. Sure, he was certainly better in the first half of last season, but I believe his performances only truly "declined" because there was more pressure on him. Cesc has been quite lacklustre for quite some time and has started this season incredibly poorly. I have some sympathy with Matic and certainly think both he and the team would benefit from a transition to a midfield partnership of himself and Mikel.

Is it really Matic who has been poor, or the fact he's doing two midfielders' defensive duties at the minute, as Cesc is that badly out of form? I'm inclined to think it is a combination of the both. Sure, he was certainly better in the first half of last season, but I believe his performances only truly "declined" because there was more pressure on him. Cesc has been quite lacklustre for quite some time and has started this season incredibly poorly. I have some sympathy with Matic and certainly think both he and the team would benefit from a transition to a midfield partnership of himself and Mikel.

Not only has it made him look weaker defensively, but he's also less ambitious going forward.

His attacking qualities are under rated and we have reigned them in ever since Cesc has joined to make up for his defensive weakness, it was okay when Cesc was assisting and creating chances at will, but now not so much.

Although Mikel Matic isn't the answer, its far too defensive.

I thought there was games last season where Cesc was better than Matic and so far this season I'd say the same. Its easy to say Cesc has let Matic down but I really think Matic has let Matic down, his positioning and reactions at times are like mind blowingly awful. He hasn't quite been the same since Christian Eriksen gave him the run about in December or January whenever it was. He just looks disinterested in some games.

• 2 weeks later...

Another woeful performance from him and no Fabregas to blame this time. For some reason he keeps wandering to wide areas and making it incredibly easy for teams to play through the lines. You won't believe the amount of space Naismith was afforded for the opener today. He's a B2B midfielder masquerading as a DM.

Mikel starting should have *allowed* him more freedom, or at least that was probably the idea and the instructions from the manager hence him playing in wider areas and scoring a great goal. For the little to nothing that Mikel brings to attacking, his defensive contribution isn't that impressive either.

Matic was the best Chelsea player on the pitch for me - was the best one against City too.

When the mechanics are wrong everything looks off, but I see him winning most of his tackles and moving the ball well.

Honest question: is you think Matic did not play well, how would you rate Mikel? Just curious...