Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Matic did have a stamina problem in portugal as well... Would be nice if Jose actually rotated better, rather than rotate because of suspension/injury.

We've played a lot less frequently this second half of the season so while lack of rotation may well be a factor I really doubt it is the only one.

Actually if you remember the first few matches in the season he started inconsistently as well and making more mistakes than usual (the 6-3 against Everton is a prime example). So it's not just tiredness but general inconsistency. Maybe that is only normal since most top DMs only reach their peak at around 29yo.

Matic did have a stamina problem in portugal as well... Would be nice if Jose actually rotated better, rather than rotate because of suspension/injury.

My theory about why Jose didnt rotate much this year is that during the early parts of the campaign, all our rivals were dropping points left and right. And we were in such good form.

At that point (...well up to now) it became a RACE for points rather than a MARATHON. And we see the fruit of it right now... The first to 84 points wins the trophy.

My theory about why Jose didnt rotate much this year is that during the early parts of the campaign, all our rivals dropping points left and right. And we were in such good form.

At that point (...well up to now) it became a RACE for points rather than a MARATHON. And we see the fruit of it right now... The first to 84 points wins the trophy.

This, this, this, this and this.

I was saying that for ages, the Schalke, WBA and WHU displays amongst others, no way do we perform as well with constant rotation.

My theory about why Jose didnt rotate much this year is that during the early parts of the campaign, all our rivals were dropping points left and right. And we were in such good form.

But on the other hand, one can argue that the lack of rotation has cost us in the FA Cup and Champions League. Let's not forget that City managed to claw back that 8-point deficit by early January this year and we have been somewhat fortunate that they fell away so dramatically. Otherwise, we might be having a nervy end to the campaign when you see us putting in below-par performances and doing just enough to limp over the line.

But on the other hand, one can argue that the lack of rotation has cost us in the FA Cup and Champions League. Let's not forget that City managed to claw back that 8-point deficit by early January this year and we have been somewhat fortunate that they fell away so dramatically. Otherwise, we might be having a nervy end to the campaign when you see us putting in below-par performances and doing just enough to limp over the line.

That's fair. But Chelsea lost to Bradford when they had the most rotation didnt we?

And we were one set piece / Terry-Cahill mistake / Thiago Silva moment from progressing in the Champs League.

That's fair. But Chelsea lost to Bradford when they had the most rotation didnt we?

That is what happens you don't rotate your squad and you suddenly throw in players who probably aren't fully fit and familiar with one another. Although, we should have never lost that tie having gone 2-0 up!

And we were one set piece / Terry-Cahill mistake / Thiago Silva moment from progressing in the Champs League.

Yeah but our performance wasn't encouraging, was it? We barely created any clear cut chances against 10 men for almost the entire game. We were just drifting through the match and hoping something happen for us rather than making things happen.

That is what happens you don't rotate your squad and you suddenly throw in players who probably aren't fully fit and familiar with one another. Although, we should have never lost that tie having gone 2-0 up!

Yeah but our performance wasn't encouraging, was it? We barely created any clear cut chances against 10 men for almost the entire game. We were just drifting through the match and hoping something happen for us rather than making things happen.

TBH i dont think we have the squad depth to win the treble / double this year. Schurrle didnt progress as we all hoped - that mysterious ailment really did him in. Rami, Mikel were injured in the early - mid part of the season. Only three CBs, three experienced full backs.

Hazard is this generation's Lampard I think, in that he will play every game as much as possible.

TBH i dont think we have the squad depth to win the treble / double this year. Schurrle didnt progress as we all hoped - that mysterious ailment really did him in. Rami, Mikel were injured in the early - mid part of the season. Only three CBs, three experienced full backs.

Hazard is this generation's Lampard I think, in that he will play every game as much as possible.

Not saying that we could have won the FA Cup and/or Champions League as well but better management of the squad would have at least helped us put in better performances and go far into the two competitions (we may even still have a chance to win it/them). Instead, we exited them in such meek fashion and with barely a fight.

IMO the 10 men argument is false. They lost a striker, not a midfielder or a defender. And they had the game of their lives against us. Plus they were so fired up...and Jose put Zouma on for Matic just before David Luiz scored.

IMO the 10 men argument is false. They lost a striker, not a midfielder or a defender. And they had the game of their lives against us. Plus they were so fired up...and Jose put Zouma on for Matic just before David Luiz scored.

Yup - sometimes the other team just wants it more - that's football

The odds of getting every game right are astronomical - I have moaned about Jose a lot in the recent months, but he has got the team winning and there is progress. This summer will be key - need the right player acquisitions and we can hopefully evolve - but it does take time, which is where the frustration lies.

What difference does it make even if they had lost a midfielder/defender? They would still make a change to replace that midfielder/defender and we'll still face the same situation. Regardless of who got sent off though, it still doesn't change the fact that we were poor on that night. Rather than playing like a team with the man advantage, we played like one with the disadvantage. We barely troubled them for the 120 minutes while they looked more threatening and had the better chances with 10 men. We might still have exited the competition but if we're going to go out, then I would at least want my team to put in a good performance and not crash out without any fight.

I've heard nothing but onwards and upwards from all my mates supporting our rivals.

My point is we played good football in the past but were inconsistent

We are playing winning football now, but it's not as attractive

I'm sure a balance will be found - but it will take time :)

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Real vs Juventus yesterday and clutched my Head several Times, watching Paul Pogba delivering Miss-Passes and like 2 stunning dribblings out of 20 attempts. But all that wouldnt be that bad, if he possessed the slightest glimpse of Vision. Which he does not.

All that came to my mind, b/c I remembered a Forum Comparison about whos better .. Pogba ore Matic.

I mean, I always knew Pogba was overrated but watching yesterdays Match I recognized that in Matic we have Footballs "Egg-laying Woolmilkpork" and it kinda makes me nervous, because I heard roumours that Pogba could be join us upcoming Windows.

Pogba is probably not even the "F" of the complete Footballer that Matic is, and he cannot replace anyone in our Team - At least not adequately.

And that just makes me appreciate Nemanja being Part of our Squad even more.

• 1 month later...