Nemanja Matic

.Cee

I wouldn't mind it either if we had a dynamic creative midfielder like Modric, Verratti instead of Fabregas. but we signed him now and its very unlikely that we go for another player. and to be fair to him, he delivered assists and he's improving his defensive side of the game.

What I find really worrying though, is that we tried to play Fabregas higher in europe. and the weaknesses of Matic got the better of him. I'm afraid Matic Ramires in the pivot is still not the answer.

What. The. Fuck?

So a bit off bad form from Matic and we are talking about replacing him :doh:

I know the grass is greener on the other side is a strong philosophy here but this just takes the piss.

My initial point was that Schneiderlin was better than Matic. If I had the choice to pick, which I don't and which no one on here have, I would choose him over Matic. I'm not suggesting we should sell him or anything, just that there are better players out there. There's nothing wrong with that, as there is nothing wrong with thinking we don't have the best players in every position.

I'm not basing my thoughts on the last couple of games only. As I said in my other post, I think he struggles with fast players. It was always there, and it's looking more obvious against the better sides.

What. The. Fuck?

Anything wrong with that statement?

My initial point was that Schneiderlin was better than Matic. If I had the choice to pick, which I don't and which no one on here have, I would choose him over Matic. I'm not suggesting we should sell him or anything, just that there are better players out there. There's nothing wrong with that, as there is nothing wrong with thinking we don't have the best players in every position.

I'm not basing my thoughts on the last couple of games only. As I said in my other post, I think he struggles with fast players. It was always there, and it's looking more obvious against the better sides.

If you're not French, you must be in a world of your own. Morgan is a decent DMF, but Matic is a class above IMO.

So a bit off bad form from Matic and we are talking about replacing him :doh:

I know the grass is greener on the other side is a strong philosophy here but this just takes the piss.

On the other hand, a run of excellent performances and he's the best in the world! We football fans are truly a unique breed... :lol:

Schneiderlin is a better DM than Matic? My word.

Why do you even think so? Can you back that up?

I'm assuming you didn't read any of my posts..

Anyway, I think defensively he's better. He's more mobile than Matic which allow him to step an extra yard or so to cut a pass. He can keep pressing the players with a higher intensity. He doesn't have as much trouble dealing with fast players as do Matic, and he can steal balls despite lack of pressing upfront. In terms of attacking ability, Nemanja is definitely better no doubt but I don't think Schneiderlin is bad at it.

Can you tell me why do you all think he's so extrordinary? Some people here even label him as the best DM in the world. I just don't see it.

I see where Rapkun is coming from. defensively Matic is actually limited in the sense that He lacks the pace to keep up with fast players (it's no coincidence he's struggled badly this season against players with pace at times) and in the absence of pace, a DM needs to have a Godly/makelele like awareness and position to be flawlessly and consistently effective, which he doesn't have and not many DM's including the elite ones have it either. His ability on the ball and strength are his biggest attributes.

I'm assuming you didn't read any of my posts..

Anyway, I think defensively he's better. He's more mobile than Matic which allow him to step an extra yard or so to cut a pass. He can keep pressing the players with a higher intensity. He doesn't have as much trouble dealing with fast players as do Matic, and he can steal balls despite lack of pressing upfront. In terms of attacking ability, Nemanja is definitely better no doubt but I don't think Schneiderlin is bad at it.

Can you tell me why do you all think he's so extrordinary? Some people here even label him as the best DM in the world. I just don't see it.

Sorry I disagree with this a lot. Basically you are trying to insinuate that because Schneiderlin is more athletic (or faster) than Matic (mind you Matic obviously isn't in athletic) that he automatically becomes the better DM, and I think that's just not the right way to look at it at all.

Sure, Matic hasn't been in blistering form recently so it's easy to forget that he does read the game very well and that the timing of his challenges are fantastic. How many times has Matic broken up dangerous play for us resulting in fantastic counter attacking opportunities? Earlier in the season people were saying that he was the best player in the league and they weren't too wrong - he was playing that well.

It's very easy for you to come out and say something like this now he's been average for a few games on the trot but honestly, the only thing Schneiderlin trumps Matic in is probably speed, apart from that, Matic is hands down better in every single category, and I've watched a lot of Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin is definitely one of the better DMs in the league but no one in the PL can touch an on form Matic - when he's defensively fantastic and makes interceptions galore whilst still contributing massively to our offensive game by starting off the moves immaculately.

People were calling Matic one of the best, if not the best DM in the world when he was really playing well and on form, and honestly there's nothing wrong with that because he was playing at an extremely high level. I didn't see you commenting on it then - so again I say... It's very easy for you to come out and say it when he's recently been average.

Sorry I disagree with this a lot. Basically you are trying to insinuate that because Schneiderlin is more athletic (or faster) than Matic (mind you Matic obviously isn't in athletic) that he automatically becomes the better DM, and I think that's just not the right way to look at it at all.

Sure, Matic hasn't been in blistering form recently so it's easy to forget that he does read the game very well and that the timing of his challenges are fantastic. How many times has Matic broken up dangerous play for us resulting in fantastic counter attacking opportunities? Earlier in the season people were saying that he was the best player in the league and they weren't too wrong - he was playing that well.

It's very easy for you to come out and say something like this now he's been average for a few games on the trot but honestly, the only thing Schneiderlin trumps Matic in is probably speed, apart from that, Matic is hands down better in every single category, and I've watched a lot of Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin is definitely one of the better DMs in the league but no one in the PL can touch an on form Matic - when he's defensively fantastic and makes interceptions galore whilst still contributing massively to our offensive game by starting off the moves immaculately.

People were calling Matic one of the best, if not the best DM in the world when he was really playing well and on form, and honestly there's nothing wrong with that because he was playing at an extremely high level. I didn't see you commenting on it then - so again I say... It's very easy for you to come out and say it when he's recently been average.

I don't post too often despite being here for around 2 years, and tbh I only posted because someone said we looked better when Matic was subbed, which is true IMO. Ramires being more athletic had a lot to do with it. I always rated Schneiderlin as a player and he was having arguably the best performance from a rival player at the bridge this season. Feel free to think I'm using this as a chance to downplay Nemanja. I like him but I just don't think he's as good as you describe him.

I disagree about his displays at the start of the season. I thought he did alright, certainly better than now but nothing that would make him the best DM in the world. I still remember during the first couple of games, when he was too advanced for his position and tried to dictate our play like would Pirlo in a midfield of 3, back then he left a huge gap between the midfield and the back four. The center backs were more exposed and we looked more vulnerable to counter attacks. It's no coincidence we conceded more goals during that period. Jose and the team probably worked on that aspect of his game because he is more disciplined now and less adventurous. His lack of mobility however was and still is there, that wasn't exclusively in the second part of the season. He looked less comfortable playing against better sides and faster players. Schneiderlin being more athletic than Matic isn't everything, of course but I don't think Matic is very good in his positioning. He can intercept the ball when there's pressing infront of him or when his physical abilities allow him to but he can't be reliable against a good opposition.

At the end of the day this is only my opinion so you're free to disagree, and quite frankly I can't see this debate going anywhere so we will probably have to agree to disagree.

The center backs were more exposed and we looked more vulnerable to counter attacks. It's no coincidence we conceded more goals during that period. Jose and the team probably worked on that aspect of his game because he is more disciplined now and less adventurous. His lack of mobility however was and still is there, that wasn't exclusively in the second part of the season. He looked less comfortable playing against better sides and faster players. Schneiderlin being more athletic than Matic isn't everything, of course but I don't think Matic is very good in his positioning. He can intercept the ball when there's pressing infront of him or when his physical abilities allow him to but he can't be reliable against a good opposition.

At the end of the day this is only my opinion so you're free to disagree, and quite frankly I can't see this debate going anywhere so we will probably have to agree to disagree.

I dont even understand some of your Logic.

Could you please explain me, how exactly Matic is supposed to (situationally) build up forward play / Counter Attacks ... while at the same Time he's got to shield our Defense Line? Maybe we should just cut him in half ;-)

Hes not perfect, but lets be honest - neither Fabregas nor Ramires are reliable when it comes to covering fore him, while he's going forward.

It appears to me like a huge Tactical Leak.

I dont even understand some of your Logic.

Could you please explain me, how exactly Matic is supposed to (situationally) build up forward play / Counter Attacks ... while at the same Time he's got to shield our Defense Line? Maybe we should just cut him in half ;-)

Hes not perfect, but lets be honest - neither Fabregas nor Ramires are reliable when it comes to covering fore him, while he's going forward.

It appears to me like a huge Tactical Leak.

His main job is to protect the defense not dictate play. If anything it should be him that covers for Fabregas not vice versa. Jose instructs Oscar to swap positions with Cesc when he goes forward so we're well covered in that department. He is only asked to cover for the CB/FB on the same flank.

Both Fabregas and Matic on 9 domestic yellow cards. Pick up 1 more and they'll be suspended for 2 matches.

Must avoid getting one in either the next 2 games (against Stoke + QPR). After 2nd weekend of April, will need 15 YCs to pick up suspension.

Another ok/average game. In fact cannot even remember when was the last time he put in a commanding performance, must have been over 3 months ago. He, like Fabregas and almost the whole team have not been themselves for a long time now.

I think now we will win the title he can take the foot off the peddle a bit and have a rest, next season he needs to get back to his top form.