Nemanja Matic

.Cee

He's being overplayed, simple as.

No need for him to play tonight. Ramires' energy on the counter-attack and as part of a high-pressure system would have been more suited. Mikel bossed a midfield in a UCL final, he can do the job well enough. Having the two of them in there was mental, they almost got in each other's way. It's called a double pivot for a reason; one player sits, one player marauds. Doesn't work when both sit. It causes mayhem defensively as neither shows any sense of being proactive in closing people down. Invites so much pressure onto the defence.

Yeah, very poor and not for the first time. He was poor against Spurs and Southampton too.

He had a poor game and ended up with 7 tackles, 2 interceptions, 3 clearances, 1 blocked shot and 100% aerials won. Imagine how much work he had to do. Today was not a good day.

He had a poor game and ended up with 7 tackles, 2 interceptions, 3 clearances, 1 blocked shot and 100% aerials won. Imagine how much work he had to do. Today was not a good day.

His positioning and tactical awareness was off today. Stats can't show it.

Up (or down) there with Iva as our worst performer yesterday, and that's saying something! And in the end when he just kept giving them the ball 30 yards from our goal.. :doh:

In the first half his tackles were great, then Obi, was passed a lot. In the second he changed, missplaced passes, missing the man. He didn't control the centre and Obi didn't help either. I think with the pace Coutinho and Sterling both offered, Ramires was a must. Then again, he may not yet be ready.

In the first half his tackles were great, then Obi, was passed a lot. In the second he changed, missplaced passes, missing the man. He didn't control the centre and Obi didn't help either. I think with the pace Coutinho and Sterling both offered, Ramires was a must. Then again, he may not yet be ready.

I think both he and Mikel were exposed 'tactically' by how Liverpool setup and attacked with a sort of two number tens. I think that took Jose by surprise and I hope he thinks of something to stop it next week. But even with that, both made some really incredible errors for professionals at this level.

I'd expect Mikel and Matic to be beaten by Coutinho because there was often a gap between them and the back four that JT is unable to cover and Cahill unwilling. We should not however expect Mikel to fail to press or get dispossessed or Matic to make simple positional errors like for the goal or keep misplacing simple passes. Those are unacceptable individual mistakes.

I think both he and Mikel were exposed 'tactically' by how Liverpool setup and attacked with a sort of two number tens. I think that took Jose by surprise and I hope he thinks of something to stop it next week. But even with that, both made some really incredible errors for professionals at this level.

I'd expect Mikel and Matic to be beaten by Coutinho because there was often a gap between them and the back four that JT is unable to cover and Cahill unwilling. We should not however expect Mikel to fail to press or get dispossessed or Matic to make simple positional errors like for the goal or keep misplacing simple passes. Those are unacceptable individual mistakes.

Yeah, this. It wasn't that we had such a bad lineup. It could have worked if our pivot and defenders handled the pressure better. Our poor performance was mostly due to poor individual performance of our players. Against Stoke both Mikel and Matic were fantastic and it worked. This time they both were poor, Iva was poor, Cahill was poor. They all misplaced too many simple passes in our own half and kept giving the ball away. As a result we couldn't keep the ball at all.

Yeah, this. It wasn't that we had such a bad lineup. It could have worked if our pivot and defenders handled the pressure better. Our poor performance was mostly due to poor individual performance of our players. Against Stoke both Mikel and Matic were fantastic and it worked. This time they both were poor, Iva was poor, Cahill was poor. They all misplaced too many simple passes in our own half and kept giving the ball away. As a result we couldn't keep the ball at all.

Mikel played like he always plays: decent but far from good enough for me.

Matic was indeed poor and he is almost always poor when he's played often. Which is only natural considering he's big fella and needs fitness to move about the pitch.

Lucas was better than both by a fair margin. Yes, our midfielders were under constant pressure, but that's when you need quality - when instead of kicking the ball upfield he can beat a player turn a pass to a teammate.