Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Okay, so maybe I was extra harsh but it's a case of what I teach my kids: the higher the expectation the bigger the room for deception/disappointment. I'm one of his biggest fans, I wrote an article worshiping this guy the moment we signed him before he ever touched a ball for us and I stated then and I stand by those words even more now, that he's the midfielder we've been missing since Ballack left us and that he would bring us the stability we had in the 2005-07 seasons again because he's a beast.

So with expectations so high - because of him and because of what he offered - I may have been too harsh upon his 'poor' presentations to his own standards. It only proves how important he is to our system.

With their positioning and movement better drilled, I'm positive we'll improve our defensive system. We also need time for that to happen. I just want to make sure - again - that I only meant he had a bad first half, not that he's bad or should be replaced. We also need to find a way to fill the sometimes huge space between our defense and our midfield.

Also re-watching the match again with Dion yesterday we both noticed that sometimes we have too many of our players surrounding a zone of the pitch or opponent, leaving other areas/opponents with a lot of space. Some of Everton's most dangerous attacks and goals (particularly the second) comes from that positioning mistake. but it's early days and I'm not worried yet. Actually it's a wonder that our attack - with two new players (counting Cesc's contributions in the attack) has adapted and clicked so fast. The defense and the midfield are going through the normal rhythm. The important thing is try and do our best not to drop points and so far, so good. We have a good challenge coming Sept. 13th with Swansea and hopefully we'll continue to get three points. The team's chemistry, positioning and all the little adjustments needed to be done will come.

So apologies for jumping the shark (although he had a poor first half) :)

And thanks for the nice answers and debate.

Don't think there's any need to apologize at all, we should be dissecting, analyzing and critiquing Matic's performances simply because the degree to which he and the other 2 in midfield are able to perform their tasks and work as a unit will determine how much balance the team is able to achieve between attack and defence. We know where Cesc's limitations lie, we know that Ramires' technical ability is inconsistent (to put it nicely) and there's only so much running Oscar can do. So naturally a lot is riding on Matic (as our DM) to be the one that holds it together. To be a rock in midfield.

Anyway, definitely fascinated by the way Jose has been using Cesc, Matic and Oscar. It's such a progressive tactical step, which is what most on here have been wanting from Mourinho.

Finaly people start to realizing Oscar actualy IS important in our team despite he doesnt score one and assist another every game...

Even though he didn't play in the exact same position, I honestly think Ramires replaced Oscar in the best way possible against Everton, or in other words - Oscar most probably couldn't have contributed more than him. And yeah, he even scored (and assisted!!!)...

If he keeps it up Oscar may well find himself on the bench in games of this manner.

You do realize our midfield was open wider than hooker's legs? Yeah Ramires did score and assist, but also left Matic alone xx times. His positioning was completely off every damn time Everton attacked. They controled tempo and possession etc. It was kind of game that happens once or twice a year, but Ramires was usual self. Sloppy most of time with moments of absolute brilliance.

I genuinely facepalmed when Ramires ruined that good counter attack in the second half by passing to nobody (think it was aimed at Cesc).

I genuinely facepalmed when Ramires ruined that good counter attack in the second half by passing to nobody (think it was aimed at Cesc).

Yeah, a simple pass to the side (dunno who was there waiting to recieve it) would probably lead to 1 on 1 situation. BUT mr. Ramires passed in wrong direction (directly into their defender) and not just that, he also added so little power every damn player 20m away would catch it...And he had like all the time and space in the world to make that simple pass...

But thats Ramires. Worst technique player of team and then he bangs a rocket or pass that even Xavi wouldnt in 100 tries...I think he has all the ability to do that, just simply not enough composed/intelligent to pull them regulary.

Generaly I actualy like Ramires, he adds speed, power, pulls ace out of nowhere, hardworking, but for the benefit of the team to perform good constantly and not fuck up every second attack because of Ramires, I think he should be benched. While he is valuable in certain aspects, I just dont feel comfortable when he is in lineup, we just dont control things as we should. Without him, we are little short on pace in midfield though. But defending wise, you might think we would be stronger with Ramires than Oscar, but its opposite. Unless we park bus, Oscar gives much more to defence, while Ramires doesnt even know where to place himself when opposition gets the ball. He probably goes to buy a kebab meanwhile and then comes back.

Everyone talks about Pogba or Vidal, but personaly I would replace him (eventualy) with Schneiderlin. Most underrated CM/DM/B2B in the world, or at least in prem IMO.

Yeah, a simple pass to the side (dunno who was there waiting to recieve it) would probably lead to 1 on 1 situation. BUT mr. Ramires passed in wrong direction (directly into their defender) and not just that, he also added so little power every damn player 20m away would catch it...And he had like all the time and space in the world to make that simple pass...

But thats Ramires. Worst technique player of team and then he bangs a rocket or pass that even Xavi wouldnt in 100 tries...I think he has all the ability to do that, just simply not enough composed/intelligent to pull them regulary.

Generaly I actualy like Ramires, he adds speed, power, pulls ace out of nowhere, hardworking, but for the benefit of the team to perform good constantly and not fuck up every second attack because of Ramires, I think he should be benched. While he is valuable in certain aspects, I just dont feel comfortable when he is in lineup, we just dont control things as we should. Without him, we are little short on pace in midfield though. But defending wise, you might think we would be stronger with Ramires than Oscar, but its opposite. Unless we park bus, Oscar gives much more to defence, while Ramires doesnt even know where to place himself when opposition gets the ball. He probably goes to buy a kebab meanwhile and then comes back.

Everyone talks about Pogba or Vidal, but personaly I would replace him (eventualy) with Schneiderlin. Most underrated CM/DM/B2B in the world, or at least in prem IMO.

Yep I'd like to see how the Oscar-Matic-Fabregas trio works in big games. While Oscar isn't as athletic as Ramires, he's much more intelligent off-the-ball and obviously better on the ball (who isn't?). No point having Ramires if all he does with his athleticism and stamina is run around like a headless chicken.

Yep I'd like to see how the Oscar-Matic-Fabregas trio works in big games. While Oscar isn't as athletic as Ramires, he's much more intelligent off-the-ball and obviously better on the ball (who isn't?). No point having Ramires if all he does with his athleticism and stamina is run around like a headless chicken.

Unless we will completely dominate them, I dont see that work too great either, perhaps not enough speed and power right there, but who knows. Wish Oscar and Ramires was the same person...reckon this will be player that Mou will look after in next few seasons...

Unless we will completely dominate them, I dont see that work too great either, perhaps not enough speed and power right there, but who knows. Wish Oscar and Ramires was the same person...reckon this will be player that Mou will look after in next few seasons...

I reckon we'll be in for Khedira next year given he's out of contract.

"distributed the ball very well, therefore helpful to set up quick attacks, something which is again becoming a trademark of Chelsea's playing style."

Where are those bus memes now hey? :lol:

You do realize that rambo scored one and assisted 2 right.

As for the current theme of thw topic, the match was a one-off. Matic was as much tp be blamed as rambo and cesc for giving poor cover in the center and even hazard for giving NO cover to azpi.

We have been defensively set up without oscar starting in 3 matches- man city away, liverpool away and ATM away. In defensive organization, nothing beats those matches. All of them without oscar. I have no doubt that cesc and rambo would have got an earful from jose about their defensive contribution.