Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Actually I was just playing on the synonyms and half expecting Alex to come up with some ridiculous vocab word I've never heard of! :lol:

I would never even attempt to suggest something like that! :halo:

I know you didn't suggest I'm an idiot (that I concluded all by my awesome self), but you were right, it's bewildering to be astonished by what shocks people here. I'm perplexed I haven't noticed it til then how the basic can still baffle some.

Now top that :P

I know you didn't suggest I'm an idiot (that I concluded all by my awesome self), but you were right, it's bewildering to be astonished by what shocks people here. I'm perplexed I haven't noticed it til then how the basic can still baffle some.

Now top that :P

:worship:

I forfeit!

He's the reason our defence is conceding so much.

He's the reason. Our defence. Is conceding. So much.

Matic is responsible for our defence letting in so many goals.

After three matches. Where we've kept one clean sheet and conceded a great goal at Burnley, we're conceding 'so much'.

Fuck me :D:D .

We conceded 3 goals against Everton, lost the midfield battle, struggled to use possession effectively for most of the first half in a way we didn't in the first two games. Why is that? What changes were made? Oh right, Ramires came in, had 68% passing accuracy, was caught out of position numerous times but you thought Matic (our most important midfield player) could be replaced?

Matic doesn't get replaced. Matic has started every league game since he came to the club. He's not quite at his dominating best yet but we're playing a new style of football and it takes time. Matic is not the issue. Ramires, who has been the issue many, many times previously is still the issue.

tbh II meant it the other way around. We were solid as rock because among other things he was a solid protection, the moment he flutters, so does the defense imo. He's the one player that made us solid, if he starts producing less, we suffer... We have slow CBs, protecting them is important.

I didn't mean like he's villain, I meant more like he's thermometer, the guy that made a difference when we're at the top, if he isn't on his best, we suffer. If you read ALL my posts about our shaky defense I keep saying I'm not concerned yet, as I think the players aren't there yet shape wise, that Mourinho will make some positioning adjustments now that we changed our style to a more offensive approach... etc. You can't find one post of mine saying our defense is a major concern of mine. I keep stressing I think it's due to physical fitness and the change to a different style - both things which demand a few weeks. I said I'll start be concerned if by the end of September we're still making the same stupid mistakes.

I also agree he can't get replaced, I said that in the very first post, when I look to the bench Mikel offers something similar defensively, but the rest can't be comparable and I don't expect a DM to only offer tackles and pressing. He also offers transition, quality passing and he is a thousand years ahead in terms of vision.

By the defense conceding too much, I'm taking into account the feeling we had since pre-season, while I'm one of those people that believe PS is only for fitness, it left a feeling about the defense, that carried on through the regular season. We owe it to Courtois to have had a clean sheet against Leicester. He made two brilliant saves when 0x0.

I know a few people here shared the same feeling that now we don't feel like we won't concede, but we go through the match afraid that maybe we will. Last season we felt like leaking our defense was a top level task...

And then I thought, maybe we could sub him, but the option is Mikel and while I'm sure Mikel wouldn't make the same mistakes, he wouldn't have scored that goal either (although I would never say he would assist Costa with a back heel either, and well, he did it).

so a player can't have a bad day in the office and be subbed out during the match?

He had an awful first half, if we have a better replacement (as Ramires was already playing) I'm positive we would have subbed him - or maybe Mourinho would take the risk and hope for him to reach form, but no player is infallible and having bad matches is part of the job.

Only in TalkChelsea this would seem like a foreign concept.

Also I'm quoting my two posts. First, I said maybe because then I realized we couldn't bring Ramires, as Ramires was already playing and Mikel would only do half of the job.

Then in a subsequent post I made a condition: if we have a better replacement compared to Mikel (should have been HAD to be syntax correct) we would have brought this nonexistent player.

We don't have a replacement for him, yesterday I liked the post below mine stating as much. I thought he could have been subbed, unlike what Mourinho - or some of you maybe - think, I don't think he's up there in form with Iva. He's been making mistakes he usually doesn't, which I can only credit to physical fitness. He improves our defense, and if he's having bad match, he exposes the defenders more than usual. I didn't blame the goals on him directly - I think he was bad positioned in one of them though, but I'm considering his slow start one of the reasons for our defense shaky moments. Even against Leicester - when we had a clean sheet - we had brainfart moments... In the very post you quoted, I finish the sentence saying I don't blame him alone, I think we have a few problems, but one of the major problems so far is the huge space between defense and midfield. Do you disagree about that space existing? Who should be filling said space? Against Leicester the space was ever bigger... I'm not crucifying the guy, but I understand why you would think that based on the sentence you highlighted alone... the thing is, my post had many sentences, not only that one. So in the context I think his slow start is exposing our defense and that is one of the causes of our shaky defending at the moment. And he had a bad first half, period.

Is it even possible to get a short and concise reply? Cant be bothered reading a wall of text.

so don't.

You know what works even better? The ignore function. I could tell you to read a book instead, but I guess that won't work.

Is it even possible to get a short and concise reply? Cant be bothered reading a wall of text.

Couldn't be anymore condescending if you tried.

The sign out button is top right if you need it.

As I said I do worry for Matic due to his such high form last season but we are winning games whilst a few members of the team are underperforming - the best thing about this is that last year we would probably have lost the last two games or drawn them.

Hopefully its rust and he can shake it off or its getting used to a less stable formation.

I believe that Matic's "poor" game agains Everton was a circumstance of the fact that we played a very very open game, and because Fabregas and Ramires offered almost nothing defensively... How many times did we see Matic single handedly trying to stop Everton attacks?

Matic performs best when we need to sit back and counter attack (City away for example) and he struggles a bit when we need to dominate possession and/or pass the ball quickly. Yes, he is no Xabi Alonso but I think he can get better at it, with time. Nevertheless, Matic is the best defensive midfielder in the PL after Yaya Toure, he is that good and as that important for us. I agree with Mourinho about what he said and I think that not many players can contribute to our game in the same fashion as Matic has done since the day he arrived. His long passing, his tackling, vision and areal dominance are second to none in our squad and he is absolutely irreplaceable (not if you don't have a player like Yaya or Kroos on the bench).

Personally, I don't think he is underperforming. Yes, he misplaced a few passes against Everton but he still was immense and broke up a countless number of attacks, not to mention his goal and magnificent assist. He will need more time to build a full understanding with Fabregas in midfield and to accommodate our new style of play. Still, I think that he is probably one of our three best and most important players, and that his transfer was probably the best Jose made in this term - to get a player of this quality for that amount of money is amazing and absolutely praiseworthy.

You can see examples of the point @Barbara is making in the analysis of the first two goals in the article I wrote: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/18782-analyzing-the-3-goals-conceded-at-goodison/

tbh II meant it the other way around. We were solid as rock because among other things he was a solid protection, the moment he flutters, so does the defense imo. He's the one player that made us solid, if he starts producing less, we suffer... We have slow CBs, protecting them is important.

I didn't mean like he's villain, I meant more like he's thermometer, the guy that made a difference when we're at the top, if he isn't on his best, we suffer. If you read ALL my posts about our shaky defense I keep saying I'm not concerned yet, as I think the players aren't there yet shape wise, that Mourinho will make some positioning adjustments now that we changed our style to a more offensive approach... etc. You can't find one post of mine saying our defense is a major concern of mine. I keep stressing I think it's due to physical fitness and the change to a different style - both things which demand a few weeks. I said I'll start be concerned if by the end of September we're still making the same stupid mistakes.

I also agree he can't get replaced, I said that in the very first post, when I look to the bench Mikel offers something similar defensively, but the rest can't be comparable and I don't expect a DM to only offer tackles and pressing. He also offers transition, quality passing and he is a thousand years ahead in terms of vision.

By the defense conceding too much, I'm taking into account the feeling we had since pre-season, while I'm one of those people that believe PS is only for fitness, it left a feeling about the defense, that carried on through the regular season. We owe it to Courtois to have had a clean sheet against Leicester. He made two brilliant saves when 0x0.

I know a few people here shared the same feeling that now we don't feel like we won't concede, but we go through the match afraid that maybe we will. Last season we felt like leaking our defense was a top level task...

Also I'm quoting my two posts. First, I said maybe because then I realized we couldn't bring Ramires, as Ramires was already playing and Mikel would only do half of the job.

Then in a subsequent post I made a condition: if we have a better replacement compared to Mikel (should have been HAD to be syntax correct) we would have brought this nonexistent player.

We don't have a replacement for him, yesterday I liked the post below mine stating as much. I thought he could have been subbed, unlike what Mourinho - or some of you maybe - think, I don't think he's up there in form with Iva. He's been making mistakes he usually doesn't, which I can only credit to physical fitness. He improves our defense, and if he's having bad match, he exposes the defenders more than usual. I didn't blame the goals on him directly - I think he was bad positioned in one of them though, but I'm considering his slow start one of the reasons for our defense shaky moments. Even against Leicester - when we had a clean sheet - we had brainfart moments... In the very post you quoted, I finish the sentence saying I don't blame him alone, I think we have a few problems, but one of the major problems so far is the huge space between defense and midfield. Do you disagree about that space existing? Who should be filling said space? Against Leicester the space was ever bigger... I'm not crucifying the guy, but I understand why you would think that based on the sentence you highlighted alone... the thing is, my post had many sentences, not only that one. So in the context I think his slow start is exposing our defense and that is one of the causes of our shaky defending at the moment. And he had a bad first half, period.

I think you're being overly harsh on a player who is one of 11 adapting to a different style of football. Oscar is going through the same and I'll defend him as well.

The problem on Saturday was that we missed Oscar and had Ramires in instead. He left space, he didn't make tackles or track runners and he mishandled possession time and time again.

Honestly I'm not sure why you wrote what you wrote about Matic beyond you feeling like you had to say something. You don't. Not everything has to be written about in great walls of text. Is Matic playing as well as he was last season? No, not yet. Is the rest of the team as solid as they were in January of last year? Nope, but that's because it's still early in the season.

Against Burnley we played a team who were buzzing for their first PL game and we ended the game after 45 minutes.

Against Leicester we broke down a very solid team in a manner we couldn't last season, but that consequently left us open at the back. Fact is the breakthrough came from our right-back who was further forward than he was most of last season.

Against Everton the game was crazy, but our second goal came from our right-back. Our fourth came from Matic who was further forward than you'd expect as well.

Just have some patience.

To be honest, if Matic's name was Mikel, he would have gotten a lot of criticism for his performance since the start of the season. But the team is in transition and I don't really expect a faultless performance from anyone. Probably only Costa was close to flawless since the start of the season, but even he wasted a few good chances and was poor in the air. The team needs time to become a true team. The important thing is, we have 3 wins and didn't drop the points we would have dropped last year.