Nemanja Matic

.Cee

One just has to mention the crosses today, he is no worse than Luiz during his good performances in that regard.
I think we have yet to find a good midfield partner to Matic, but once we do we are set. Amazing performance from an amazing player.

He should have won the player of the month in february.

If we do truly win the league this year he has to be one of the main reasons. The way he has shored up our midfield and passing from deep gave us such a different dimension

And yet we let him go ,,,, someone should swing for that

But I wanted to bump this thread first :(

a like as a consolation prize :P

I think he was really good.

Remember at the end of the first half when he's got the rebound from a corner (or a fk) and he's tried to dribble the defender and actually succeeded on it and at last moment the defender deflected for a corner? It was near the corner flag.

That's something Mikel would NEVER try to do, he'd try to pass several meters behind him, in the sideline either to a FB or whoever in that zone. He offers something else, and while I don't think he's right there with the modern DM he's a great asset.

Actually the modern DM who can pass, dribble, set up a counter or start an attack is the #8 guy in the pivot, rarely the #6 and Nemanja is a #6.

He's a beast. One of my fave players in the current squad.

Good performance as usual.

We really need to find him a worthy partner, a Pirlo, Gerrard, Alonso esque player. It's something that we're really missing IMO (along with a proper striker and an attacking LB).

Agree - said it in the Jan transfer thread that if we want to bridge the gap between being a good team and a great team not only do we need a striker but also a midfielder capable of setting the tempo/being composed on the ball.

I love Rami and he is fantastic in certain situations and is a good player for the club, but to go to the next level we would need a Modric or similar type player next to Matic IMO. (especially if we persist with 4-2-3-1

Those saying we need a Modric/Alonso type player (although there very different to each other), who is there we could actually sign of that type? Modric is pretty unique in being good at distributing the ball and carrying it forward from central midfied. I think Matic was signed as he was the best holding midfielder available. I think if we had say Pirlo alongside Matic it would create two much space between the holding players and front three. Ideally someone would teach Ramires to pass better and be more composed.

And yet we let him go ,,,, someone should swing for that

I guess you don't believe people make mistakes?

He was in a peroid of time we had a strong midfield conjunct, which didn't change due to the formation we had success with. It was either to gain Luiz or let him go on Loan and HOPE he will progressed to the level he has!

if not for gundogan's setback and back injury...he is best central deep lying midfielder to partner the beast in matic...anyway exciting transfer summer window coming up...vidal/koke or if possible pogba can work wonders along with matic in that pivot position...atleast by then Hazard and Oscar can fully concentrate on their offensive responsibilities...