Nemanja Matic

.Cee

He was probably the only outfield player that could be proud of his performance yesterday.

Apart from his goal he was woeful. Matic-Ivanovic-Cesc partnership has been nothing shot of horrific and Matic hasn't been any better than those other two. Last fall our playing style was heavily based on Matic's ability to play two players' role in the pivot. Right now he can't even do his role and is one of the major reasons why our midfield has been literally invisible this season. The most worrying fact is that we have nobody to cover for Matic. Mikel and Zouma cannot play the Matic-role and neither can Ramires or Loftus-Cheek. Loftus-Cheek could be played as the DM but not alongside Cesc. Lack of options is terrifying!

Apart from his goal he was woeful. Matic-Ivanovic-Cesc partnership has been nothing shot of horrific and Matic hasn't been any better than those other two. Last fall our playing style was heavily based on Matic's ability to play two players' role in the pivot. Right now he can't even do his role and is one of the major reasons why our midfield has been literally invisible this season. The most worrying fact is that we have nobody to cover for Matic. Mikel and Zouma cannot play the Matic-role and neither can Ramires or Loftus-Cheek. Loftus-Cheek could be played as the DM but not alongside Cesc. Lack of options is terrifying!

If you checked his stats on Saturday, he was one of the only players trying to break up play. I know he isn't at the same level as last season, but the players around him are a major reason for that. I agree our options are limited.

If you checked his stats on Saturday, he was one of the only players trying to break up play. I know he isn't at the same level as last season, but the players around him are a major reason for that. I agree our options are limited.

It's not just about breaking up play. Cesc covers an incredibly high amount of ground as well. It's his positioning that's woeful, he constantly drifts to wide areas for some bizzare reason & teams kill us in between the lines. Look at the space Naismith had for the opener the last game. That goal doesn't happen if we had Maka, Carrick, Busquets or Motta there.

It's not just about breaking up play. Cesc covers an incredibly high amount of ground as well. It's his positioning that's woeful, he constantly drifts to wide areas for some bizzare reason & teams kill us in between the lines. Look at the space Naismith had for the opener the last game. That goal doesn't happen if we had Maka, Carrick, Busquets or Motta there.

That might be the case, but there's a reason we play with two DMF's. Mikel was a passenger on Sat.

• 2 weeks later...

what has happened to him? he has been shockingly bad this season

Cesc and Oscar are not winning any tackles,so Matic has to win all of them,which is a bit unrealistic,if you ask me because he is no Son Goku.

Sometimes,yes,he has his Son Goku performances,where he wins every tackle,but you can´t expect from him these kind of superhuman performances all the time.

That is why a player like RLC,who is big and strong with a good technique would give Matic much more stability,but Mou will probably gibe Mikel more chances rather giving RLC chances.It is what is is

Cesc and Oscar are not winning any tackles,so Matic has to win all of them,which is a bit unrealistic,if you ask me because he is no Son Goku.

Sometimes,yes,he has his Son Goku performances,where he wins every tackle,but you can´t expect from him these kind of superhuman performances all the time.

That is why a player like RLC,who is big and strong with a good technique would give Matic much more stability,but Mou will probably gibe Mikel more chances rather giving RLC chances.It is what is is

Oscar wins loads of tackles... and we knew what we were getting when we brought Fabregas and last season it worked out...

He's been poor, no two ways about it. Cesc was always a defensive liability, didn't trouble Matic then. He's lost that beastly aura about him.

Matic, like many of our players, looks physically weak. Short or poor pre-season? Celebrations went too far?

Whatever the reason is I think it's unfair to say they are not trying - they just aren't as fit as they were last season. Hazard for example, is no longer clearing his marker: he dribbles past him, but remains within reach for a tackle. His movement is also lacking which limits the passing options of the other players - it's all linked.

The older players, Iva and Terry, make it more obvious (esp with the higher block this season), because they already lack pace, but I see all players suffering physically. Possible exception to Azpi and Ramires because of their build.

Very difficult situation and I disagree with most here in that replacing them will only accomplish more loses and delay their inevitable recovery. The substitutes are not of the same caliber - not good enough or too young. Besides you employ youngsters when the team is well and playing as a unit not the other way around.