Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Been easily our worst performer in the 2nd half of the season. Don't think the Tottenham and PSG performances will ever get out my head. Mikel's never let us down that badly.

Many people dislike Obi but he is a man we can trust. He is not an outstanding player but I wouldn't be nervous at all if he had to play against United and Arse. He has the quality and experience to help us to win the title.

Matic is still the best DM in the league and likely the world. The slight drop in form does not change that.

It's true that he hasn't been playing at the (ridiculously high) level he was in the first half of the season but I don't think anyone could sustain that for a whole season.

Also remember that any mistake he makes is accentuated massively by the fact that our back 4 are immobile and out of form ATM. I can't imagine how hard it must be to cover for a RB that's rarely in our own damn half of the pitch, a CB who is brilliant in the air and at reading the game but v.slow and coming to the end of his career, our other CB who has a passive fear of opposition players and will back off them into his own goal given the chance and a fellow CM who is an incredible passer and decent going forward but cannot defend very well.

His job is the 2nd hardest in our team (behind our CAM role) made even harder by the lack of world class quality around him. Put Varane/Zouma in for Cahill and play Azpi/Luis over Ivan/Azpi and suddenly I can almost guarantee he'd be back at his best when he has a back 4 behind him that he can trust so he can focus on doing his own damn job and not covering for half of his fellow defenders all the time.

Been easily our worst performer in the 2nd half of the season. Don't think the Tottenham and PSG performances will ever get out my head. Mikel's never let us down that badly.

He was excellent last season but he's been woefully inconsistent throughout this season even long before the supposed tiredness kicked in. His passing seems to have worsened as the year has gone on. Surely I can't be the only one continually baffled by some of his choice of passes? Not only that but he's takes ages to release the ball at times, things Mikel has been constantly criticised for in the past.

Shame Cesc has taken the brunt of the blame for our 2nd half dip while he gets a pass.

Oscar...

I don't think Matic is playing anywhere near "bad" at the minute. He hasn't been close to his ridiculously good best, but he has still been frightfully consistent and it is no surprise our only league defeats have been inflicted with him either absent (Newcastle away) or enduring an incredibly poor match (Spurs away). Even in his par form at present he is clearly the best in the Premier League (and Europe?) at what he does.

I don't think Matic is playing anywhere near "bad" at the minute. He hasn't been close to his ridiculously good best, but he has still been frightfully consistent and it is no surprise our only league defeats have been inflicted with him either absent (Newcastle away) or enduring an incredibly poor match (Spurs away). Even in his par form at present he is clearly the best in the Premier League (and Europe?) at what he does.

yep, and that's how teams have sussed out the only way to defeat us is to mark Matic and drag him out of position to even get at our defenders. Tbf regarding Spurs away too the rest of his midfield and the back 4 behind him weren't doing him any favours either.

He's getting worse match after match as this season is coming to a close.

His passing today was woefully to say the least. Every time he was on the ball he either waited too long and got crowded or gifted the ball away by hoofing it blindley up the field.

In the beginning of the season he at least redeemed himself by his terrific defending but he gets bypassed way to easily the last few matches

He's getting worse match after match as this season is coming to a close.

His passing today was woefully to say the least. Every time he was on the ball he either waited too long and got crowded or gifted the ball away by hoofing it blindley up the field.

In the beginning of the season he at least redeemed himself by his terrific defending but he gets bypassed way to easily the last few matches

Would love to be able to reinterpret his display and find a more positive way to look at it but you are right. Before the game I almost posted to say that he could really do with a good performance today, but instead we got a really bad one. Oh well, saddle up and go again Nemanja.

I remember when we signed him last year, there were people commenting on the fact he had some stamina problems and it's badly showing these days, but then again that's also partly due to Mou's refusal to rotate players

That and he's probably feeling the effects of playing first season without winter break.

Also, I don't want to be mean but Matic has become like Mikel of late really. Slow and ponderous on the ball. Gave the ball so many times today and there were occasions where he wasn't sure what was going on around him.

I think he done well. Made some very good interceptions and you can see he is aware of getting a 10th yellow card which is affecting his game. Considering that aspect he done well. Now he does not have to worry about the suspension I think you will see him do what he does best. Bossing the game, intercepting balls. I am just happy he game away from this game without a card. Like I was saying that has an impact on what he does in the game. He does not want to go in for a challenge that he may get booked for. Still a crucial player and best DM in Europe for me.

That and he's probably feeling the effects of playing first season without winter break.

Also, I don't want to be mean but Matic has become like Mikel of late really. Slow and ponderous on the ball. Gave the ball so many times today and there were occasions where he wasn't sure what was going on around him.

I have noticed this about him as well, whenever there is an AM in a little pocket of space he just simply refuses to give the ball to them. He usually just turns around/dribbles sideways and gets the ball out wide. Starting to get frustrating especially in combination with an out of form Cesc

He looked to me as if he had the suspension that would have come with a yellow in today's game on his mind. A bit tentative for sure. He's been good against the big teams this season, let's hope he's at his best against Man Utd and Arsenal.

I like he wants to do more with the ball because he is physicaly strong and has decent control, meaning he could have some good runs tru the middle.

But for that he would need different partner than Cesc. Someone who can cover up when he runs forward.