test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DavidEU

21. Nemanja Matic

Started by DavidEU,

3,283 posts in this topic
On 07/04/2017 at 0:45 PM, DYC. said:

How are you 6ft5 and not dominant in the air? He's so painfully average in the air for a guy his size.

Athletic players usualy have great leap even tho they arent very tall. Matic is very tall, but far cry from athletic midfielder. He isnt dynamic either.  Like someone said, he is getting those few headers only because of his size. Same goes for his strenght. He could be realy powerful for his size, but doesnt have athletic body or balance and you see him getting beaten by the likes of Shaqiri or Aguero.

IMO all in all he did good job this season, much better than last one. But I agree we need new midfielder, someone who is more dynamic and athletic for those same reasons mentioned above (with good technique)

kellzfresh and The Skipper like this

10 hours ago, the wes said:

I have nothing against matic he played a big part wining us the league under Mourinho but I think it's time for an upgrade to partner Kante 

If you mean sign somebody, no need. Conte just needs to bloody put Fab in!

PS. On the subject of Nainggolan. If they don't let him smoke at half time, should be an alright signing haha

Wow, the amount of hate the guy is getting here is unreal... 

He's been good lately, especially against City and Bournemouth, now if you compare him to Kanté's reactivity or Fabregas's skill/vision you will easily see his flaws, but he has his own style too.

All of our 3 midfielders are unique ( Chalobah seems to be a bit of a combination of the 3 ), and at various points in the season we've needed all of them, Matic brings qualities to the table that Kanté and Fabregas don't possess, he is tailor-made for a possession-based team and showcased it on Saturday again, no wonder he's been at his best in moments where we had lots of the ball ( second half vs City and his overall 2014/2015 season ). 

Still think we need to recruit a world class midfielder, but he's getting way too much hate here.

itsbeauj, Stats and Blue Armour like this

4 hours ago, itsbeauj said:

PS. On the subject of Nainggolan. If they don't let him smoke at half time, should be an alright signing haha

Funny enough but being a smoker and playing football occasionally, I can assure you smoking at half-time won't alter your performance during the game at all.

In the long term however, I think it always impacts your performance and overall fitness levels, your lungs don't function as good as they would without smoking. 

Every metabolism reacts to smoking differently obviously but I'd guess Nainggolan has an even higher potential physically that he isn't reaching because of cigarettes.

4 hours ago, Adnane said:

Funny enough but being a smoker and playing football occasionally, I can assure you smoking at half-time won't alter your performance during the game at all.

In the long term however, I think it always impacts your performance and overall fitness levels, your lungs don't function as good as they would without smoking. 

Every metabolism reacts to smoking differently obviously but I'd guess Nainggolan has an even higher potential physically that he isn't reaching because of cigarettes.

Didn't know any of that, but in any case, I was just throwing it out there that he's allowed to. Very weird!

Adnane likes this

On 07/04/2017 at 0:45 PM, DYC. said:

That's because the praise was exaggerated (I see the same happening with Kanté). All the good is perceived as great and all the bad is ignored. While I never rated him as the best, I too got very excited and thought he was a top defensive midfielder in 2014. But maybe he was at the time. He was playing really good football (domestically anyway). It happens. Playing at the maximum of your capabilities for a certain period of time.

But if you take off the blinders and remain critical at all times, you can still notice flaws. And the severity of those flaws will help you to truly judge the quality of the player.

I thought Matic started the season off well enough but his form tailed more than a minute ago. He's played his part in Chelsea's current position but mostly because of the skillset he offers. He's not good enough.

Shout out to @Henrique who saw it coming from miles away. 

Henrique, Peace., DYC. and 1 other like this

20 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Shout out to @Henrique who saw it coming from miles away. 

That's actually a Quality Certificate for Matic right here, from the Forum.

B/c in my Opinion Henrique, like many Users here, knows as much about Football as any ordinary Dairy Cow about Ballet.

However, the good Thing is, that our Club is led by Professionals not by Forum Users.

Matic is Worldclass and a Football Genius at times. Comparing Nainggollan to him is laughable at best..

Nainggolan is not even the "F" of the Footballer that Matic is.

Wouldnt trade him for 2 Nainggolans. And fortunately, neither would Conte.

3 hours ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

Don't think Matic is a football genius, but he is certainly our most underrated player, he's crucial.

I'm not saying it either. All I am saying is that at times he shows flashes/glimpses of a Football Genius ... Feints, Dribbles, Passes out of nowhere ...

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It's not the man who is crucial, it's his role. There are a whole lot of people who can play that role better than Nemanja does.

Ditto Victor Moses.

Edit to expand a bit on what I'm saying: It's clear that Antonio feels Nemanja is his best option for that role. The boss sees the alternative options in training most days, so his judgement is good enough for me. We may, however, learn more about the manager's long term thoughts on this when the window opens. I say 'may' because, even if we do not reinforce that position (or Victor's), it won't necessarily mean that we didn't try.

No there aren't, since Essien passed his prime we didn't have a reliable DM until Matic arrived. And the ones who could supposedly do his job at least on a similar level, are already in top teams. We will probably reinforce this position tho, but it's because we need depth.

10 minutes ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

No there aren't, since Essien passed his prime we didn't have a reliable DM until Matic arrived. And the ones who could supposedly do his job at least on a similar level, are already in top teams. We will probably reinforce this position tho, but it's because we need depth.

Fair enough, a straight forward difference of opinion.

If Nemanja is still starting for us next season I'll feel we've missed an opportunity to make an important improvement.

manpe likes this

On 10/04/2017 at 2:14 PM, itsbeauj said:

No, I there's a reason Antonio has been rotating Cesc and because he can't play in a midfield two regularly. 

I can see why people are calling for him again, because Conte is playing him in games were he can be useful and leaving him out of games he would be a liability. 

He was reliable when he first resigned. Just doesn't seem to bring much to the table now, whether it's making a few key passes/scoring or being lively enough to close spaces.

I personally think this position along with a CF should be our main priorities when the market reopens.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

He was reliable when he first resigned. Just doesn't seem to bring much to the table now, whether it's making a few key passes/scoring or being lively enough to close spaces.

I personally think this position along with a CF should be our main priorities when the market reopens.

Disagree in both, LCB, LWB and RF for me. After that, RWB, then, CM.

Disagree in both, LCB, LWB and RF for me. After that, RWB, then, CM.

What's going to happen with the options we currently have, then?

Ake, Willian, Aina, etc?

5 hours ago, LAM09 said:

What's going to happen with the options we currently have, then?

Ake, Willian, Aina, etc?

We will have lot more matches next season, need a bigger squad. The youngsters are not playing even now, they're not ready, must go on loan.

Unionjack likes this

9 minutes ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

We will have lot more matches next season, need a bigger squad. The youngsters are not playing even now, they're not ready, must go on loan.

Need to get rid of anyone that is surplus to requirements or isn't good enough. We'll be playing in one more competition, not 8.

10 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Need to get rid of anyone that is surplus to requirements or isn't good enough. We'll be playing in one more competition, not 8.

And where i said otherwise? Batshuayi and some youngsters will leave, Christensen will be back, and we will buy a LWB, a CM, Sanchez(hopefully) and a Striker, that's what i think will happen.