Thomas Hitzlsperger announces he is gay

Amblève.

I'd like to think a lot of his teammates knew and supported him through it and kept it secret from the media. Now that would be progression.

That would actually be nice for a change. As long as there are no pple like casilas to leak out information to the media :ph34r:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think a lot of his teammates knew and supported him through it and kept it secret from the media. Now that would be progression.

You'd like to think so. If so that commands incredible respect for such courage. If not, then it speaks volumes. We need more Robbie Rodgers and Thomas Hitzlspergers, but we need them to come out during their career. A huge ask, granted, and so many potential foot-falls, but all it takes is one, IMO, and then we'll see something of a domino effect. I think we can all agree this is a huge step forward, we just need people to match this positive forwards stride.

Who cares.

Before anyone attacks manpe, I think he's saying he doesn't care whether a player is gay or not, which is the absolute right attitude to have. It doesn't and shouldn't make a difference.

I get what you're saying but if I was part of a sport where, for ten years, a heterosexual man had the words 'we wont give a fuck when you're hanging from a tree, you judas cunt with HIV' sung to him on a weekly basis based on rumour, I wouldnt come out either. For those who don't remember this, I'm referring to Sol Campbell.

97/98% of British fans wouldn't have a problem with a gay footballer in this country. Its the odd idiot that makes it terrifying. Look at the coverage Tom Daley has had. Not to belittle him or his sport, but an olympic diver is no where near the same 'league' as a Premier League and international footballer.

It does need to happen, and I pray it does soon. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

But most importantly today, congratulations Thomas. You're a brave man and I'm proud of you.

Totally agree mate, but footballers sign up for "banter" when they enter the sport. I'm not belittling your point, I'm just saying that almost every footballer cops an earful from the brainless minority at football grounds. It's about time someone shows they don't give a fuck, but again I appreciate how difficult that must be. It really saddens and frustrates me that some people have such attitudes, but then again, even 40 years ago people discriminated against blacks, and sexism still exists today, so perhaps I'm expecting too much for people just to accept homosexuality, but I'll definitely do my part and tell me kids there's nothing wrong in being who you are. But like I say, we're a long way away from that goal.

You'd like to think so. If so that commands incredible respect for such courage. If not, then it speaks volumes. We need more Robbie Rodgers and Thomas Hitzlspergers, but we need them to come out during their career. A huge ask, granted, and so many potential foot-falls, but all it takes is one, IMO, and then we'll see something of a domino effect. I think we can all agree this is a huge step forward, we just need people to match this positive forwards stride.

Totally agree mate, but footballers sign up for "banter" when they enter the sport. I'm not belittling your point, I'm just saying that almost every footballer cops an earful from the brainless minority at football grounds. It's about time someone shows they don't give a fuck, but again I appreciate how difficult that must be. It really saddens and frustrates me that some people have such attitudes, but then again, even 40 years ago people discriminated against blacks, and sexism still exists today, so perhaps I'm expecting too much for people just to accept homosexuality, but I'll definitely do my part and tell me kids there's nothing wrong in being who you are. But like I say, we're a long way away from that goal.

Thats the ideal, of course. But I think realistically its going to take small steps to ultimately reach the point where, maybe one day we have a real 'top class' current Premier League and international player out as gay. Whether that takes six months, six years or six decades is anyones guess. The ideal for the moment is obviously that all these non-outed players that are obviously out there currently feel happy in their lives and allowed to feel comfortable and safe within their own dressing room and their own club. As I've said before on this forum, I found it hard enough to come out to my small circle of friends, I couldn't imagine the stress that comes with doing it to a country and to a world-wide sport. And when you've got Danny Dyer fending off homophobes on twitter for a gay coming out storyline on EastEnders, it shows you just how far this country is from everyone treating everyone equally.

Your second point, I see what you're saying. But they shouldn't be 'signing up' for 60,000 fans each Saturday to give out 'banter'. All of it is unacceptable, all of it. As fans, we pay our £40 on a Saturday to see these players do what they do better than anyone else in the world, NOT to shout 'banter' in order for a cheap laugh. You wouldn't think about doing it down the street, so why do it in a packed football stadium?

One of the reasons footballers dont 'come out' is surely the language and terminology. Both BBC radio and Talksport have today talked about Hitzlsperger "admitting" that he is gay, as if he is confessing some sin.

Until the language is changed it will remain being seen as some kind of stigma

One of the reasons footballers dont 'come out' is surely the language and terminology. Both BBC radio and Talksport have today talked about Hitzlsperger "admitting" that he is gay, as if he as confessing some sin.

Exactly : the difference between 'tolerated' and 'accepted'. HUGE, HUGE difference people not influence by it do not comprehend. Tolerated is more: it is wrong but i am so open minded I allow it. Paternalistic, condoscending rationales tbh...

I was watching 'banged up abroad' the other night and their was this gay bloke that went to Saudi Arabi on a job, and he got nicked on suspicion that he was gay.

If in the future a footballer does 'come out', would that lead to problem's if a world cup was hosted in a country were it's illegal? in other words, will it even be safe for him to travel? Scott Mills (radio 1 presenter) went to Uganda and admitted to the president he was gay, and he called the police to seize the video tape, and that was for being gay, not even doing anything.

I was watching 'banged up abroad' the other night and their was this gay bloke that went to Saudi Arabi on a job, and he got nicked on suspicion that he was gay.

If in the future a footballer does 'come out', would that lead to problem's if a world cup was hosted in a country were it's illegal? in other words, will it even be safe for him to travel?

Well, in the European capital Brussels the main problem these days is Gay Bashing ..... Go figure. Neanderthal stuff.

One of the reasons footballers dont 'come out' is surely the language and terminology. Both BBC radio and Talksport have today talked about Hitzlsperger "admitting" that he is gay, as if he is confessing some sin.

Plus, you know it'll be thrown around by the media every time there is a football related issue with the player.