Thomas Hitzlsperger announces he is gay

Amblève.

Thomas Hitzlsperger has become the most high-profile footballer to come out, announcing on Wednesday that he is gay. The former Aston Villa, West Ham and Everton player has given a long interview to the German paper Die Zeit, in which he says that he is talking about his sexuality because he wants "to further the debate about homosexuality among sports professionals".

Hitzlsperger represented Germany 52 times, played in a World Cup and a European Championship and won the Bundesliga with Stuttgart. He retired in September last year, having also played for Lazio in Italy and Wolfsburg. "It's been a long and difficult process" [of becoming aware of being gay]. Only in the last few years have I realised that I preferred living together with a man," Hitzlsperger added.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/08/thomas-hitzlsperger-gay-announces-homosexual

Fair play to him. However, shame this topic is still one of those you're not allowed to talk about as an active professional footballer.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a joke people even have to "come out", as if being gay is something socially unacceptable. I couldn't give a fuck if you're gay, straight, bi-sexual or otherwise. Do what the hell makes you happy; be whatever makes you happy. Life's too short to worry what narrow-minded bigots, whose heads are so far up their own arses, have to say or think.

It's a joke people even have to "come out", as if being gay is something socially unacceptable. I couldn't give a fuck if you're gay, straight, bi-sexual or otherwise. Do what the hell makes you happy; be whatever makes you happy. Life's too short to worry what narrow-minded bigots, whose heads are so far up their own arses, have to say or think.

I get what you're saying but if I was part of a sport where, for ten years, a heterosexual man had the words 'we wont give a fuck when you're hanging from a tree, you judas cunt with HIV' sung to him on a weekly basis based on rumour, I wouldnt come out either. For those who don't remember this, I'm referring to Sol Campbell.

97/98% of British fans wouldn't have a problem with a gay footballer in this country. Its the odd idiot that makes it terrifying. Look at the coverage Tom Daley has had. Not to belittle him or his sport, but an olympic diver is no where near the same 'league' as a Premier League and international footballer.

It does need to happen, and I pray it does soon. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

But most importantly today, congratulations Thomas. You're a brave man and I'm proud of you.

Good for him, although on the day that FIFA reveals what a clusterfuck the Qatar World Cup is going to be old Thomas has probably made sure he can't attend it.

What? Can you spend one single day without criticizing other countries?

I'm more interested to know how he survived in secret like this.

Probably liking some of his team mates in secret and checking them out?? Or if some team mates find out and they are uncomfortable around him and avoid him in the dressing room?

Feel sorry for him in such terrible conditions for him but at least he's out of his bondage now.

Its a hard situation for a gay person playing mens team sport.

I'm more interested to know how he survived in secret like this.

Probably liking some of his team mates in secret and checking them out?? Or if some team mates find out and they are uncomfortable around him and avoid him in the dressing room?

Feel sorry for him in such terrible conditions for him but at least he's out of his bondage now.

Its a hard situation for a gay person playing mens team sport.

I'd like to think a lot of his teammates knew and supported him through it and kept it secret from the media. Now that would be progression.