Outstanding Oscar puts Rams to the slaughter

BlueLion.

Brazilian maestro Oscar inspired Chelsea to victory past a dogged Derby County side at the iPro Stadium - setting up an FA Cup 4th Round tie with Stoke in the process.

Despite a battling performance, the home side were ultimately outclassed as second-half goals from skipper John Mikel Obi - on his 300th appearance for the club - and then man of the match Oscar secured a routine win for José Mourinho's side.

Derby supporters, who are enjoying something of a renaissance under the tutelage of Steve McClaren, will take great solace from a performance full of effort and endeavour. Yet ultimately it was the overwhelming strength in depth of the Chelsea squad that did for them, with the 2-0 scoreline a fair reflection of the degree of comfort the Blues exerted in another dominant second-half showing.

oscar_getty-452172.jpgMourinho made a number of changes to his side, one of which in goal with Mark Schwarzer replacing Petr Cech, but the experience of his starting eleven was too much for Derby's youthful exuberance. Into the side, amongst others, came Michael Essien, David Luiz and Samuel Eto'o, whilst Sunday's match-winners at Southampton, Oscar and Willian, were also drafted in. John Terry, Eden Hazard, Juan Mata and Fernando Torres, all on the bench, served as further examples of the Blues' squad depth.

In the end, proven Premier League quality prevailed, but Derby gave as good as they got in a tight, tentative first half in which chances were few and far between. Samuel Eto'o made a mess of the game's most penetrative moment when he dallied in possession instead of shooting and was duly dispossessed, whilst long-rangers from Oscar and Essien were the best the Blues could conjure.

Derby offered little themselves, instead preferring to contain their illustrious visitors and reduce them to pot-shots from range, but one such deflected Ramires effort almost undid all their hard work, as the Brazilian's effort hit the base of the post right on the verge of half-time.

Encouraged by their determined defensive effort, Derby came out far more positive in the second half - creating more space for Chelsea's intelligent midfield quintet to exploit. That was only heightened when Mourinho intuitively replaced the hard-working Essien with Eden Hazard. The game soon sparked into an end-to-end affair; again working to Chelsea's advantage as the Derby players soon tired.

Fitness always plays a key part in these Premier League-versus-lower league opposition, and despite Derby's promotion credentials the gap in quality was emphasised as a quick five-minute-burst through the gears gave Chelsea an unassailable 2-0 lead that all but crushed Derby's considerable resolve.

Of all people, it was tri-centurion Mikel that opened the scoring, heading in the industrious Willian's delightful whipped free-kick in the 66th minute. It took mere moments for Mourinho's men to make sure of the result, as Oscar crashed home a swerving second that home keeper Lee Grant perhaps should have done better with.

It was, nevertheless, the goal Oscar's performance warranted - after a couple of first-half chances that went a matter of inches wide, including a whipped free-kick and a swerving pile-driver from 25 yards, his luck was finally in as he launched the ball past the hopelessly exposed keeper.

Deflated, Derby resorted to damage reduction, and it took a couple of fine saves from Grant to deny substitute Fernando Torres from adding a further layer of gloss to the scoreline - first bravely saving at the striker's feet, before making a fine low parry minutes later.

Ramires might have delivered the killing blow when his effort from the edge of the box deflected onto the bar, but Derby survived - enabling them to put some late pressure on the Chelsea goal. Indeed, it was in the final few minutes where they finally seriously tested Schwarzer, but the Australian was well positioned to deal with Chris Martin's low drive at the near post.

The final whistle sounded to the delight of the 5,500-strong away contingent from Stamford Bridge - where the Blues will face Stoke in the next round later on in the month, looking to avenge December's shock 3-2 reverse at the Britannia Stadium.

Derby gave a good account of themselves but with Schwarzer - one save of note aside - a virtual spectator, it was, in the end, a very comfortable win for the Blues, who were once again indebted to a devastating second-half salvo instigated by their miserly midfield.

This was not the thrashing akin to the 6-1 thumping Derby suffered the last time the two teams met, back in 2008, but it was nonetheless a commanding showing from José Mourinho's men, who go marching on on their three-pronged assault in silverware this term. Attentions will now be turned to the tough trip to Hull next Saturday lunch-time as the Premier League resumes - but with the Blues on something of a roll, it will be a tough assignment for Steve Bruce's side....

Click here to view the article.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A professional report thanks but I would like to comment on the "Ramires Dive " ... as I saw it ,,he got a push in the back two or 3 strides before he went down

and he never fully regained his balance ,, Dont expect TV to show it but if people have recorded the game check it out

A professional report thanks but I would like to comment on the "Ramires Dive " ... as I saw it ,,he got a push in the back two or 3 strides before he went down

and he never fully regained his balance ,, Dont expect TV to show it but if people have recorded the game check it out

I chose not to mention it Ron, as I don't think it deserved coverage. I don't think it was a dive, I think he lost his balance as he was running at such pace. Not once did he look at the ref, which is a tell-tale sign of a dive. Not worthy of indulgence, IMO.

You literally do shit articles. Not bad, could do better though. Shouldn't there be a new statistic? Everytime Alex writes a report, the next game is a win. If true, you should write the previews too. Still better than Jason. :Goober:

You literally do shit articles. Not bad, could do better though. Shouldn't there be a new statistic? Everytime Alex writes a report, the next game is a win. If true, you should write the previews too. Still better than Jason. :Goober:

Hmm, "you really do shit articles". Two meanings to that - are you saying they're shit, or I shit them out? Or even both? If so, that's an ingenious choice of language! :lol:

Hmm, "you really do shit articles". Two meanings to that - are you saying they're shit, or I shit them out? Or even both? If so, that's an ingenious choice of language! :lol:

Let's just take it as both. and yes, I did that on purpose. :ph34r: