Chelsea to face Barca in Qatar?

Jase

Either we or United will apparently be facing Barcelona in Qatar next month. I mean seriously, if this happens, it's even worse than the post-season friendlies!

The Catalans have confirmed that as part of their sponsorship agreement with Qatar Sports Investments, a friendly will be played in Qatar during the first quarter of 2014.

Sport understand that, barring any surprises, the game will be set during the month of February and that the opponents will be English, with a choice currently set between Chelsea and Manchester United.

It is believed that facing Chelsea would be preferred option for the game’s sponsors, for the curiosity of seeing former Real Madrid Coach Jose Mourinho once more face the Blaugrana.

Source - http://www.football-...-barca-friendly

Click here to view the article

Man City Away - Monday 3rd February

Newcastle Home - Saturday 8th February

West Brom Away - Tuesday 11th February

FA Cup 5th Round - Friday 14th/Saturday 15th /Sunday 16th/ Monday 17th February

Everton Home - Saturday 22nd February

Galatasaray Away - Wednesday 26th February

When would it possibly be played? Only feasible date is between FA Cup and Everton, but that seems unlikely considering we'd be travelling to Turkey the week after.

Totally stupid. Defies logic. Wouldn't surprise me if that muggy berk Gourlay nominates us. I'm all for us meeting FFP but in the middle of the season? We don't need any more games, especially after last season. I doubt the Premier League/FA would let us move a fixture and there are no international breaks so we'd end up playing midweek as WHS mentioned. 7 hour flight, 3 hour time difference, so including the match that's at least 3 days of productive preparation gone, then back for our 12:45 Saturday kick off against Everton, one of the strongest teams in the league. Good one.

It's Barcelona's deal though. The QTA has a huge tie up with both Barcelona and PSG. Barcelona also has Qatar Airways( best airline ever, trust me) and Qatar Foundation ( Strives for education and does a lot of charity work. Backed by the King's wife, extremely rich ) as one of their main sponsors, while PSG have Oredoo ( a telecom provider, one of the most popular ones here) . If any club's getting benefited from this, then it has to be Barcelona. Don't think Chelsea or United would get as much.