Seamus Coleman

Phil Driver

WOW! What a goal. TBH he has been the best RB in the league this season. Been brilliantly offensively and defensively and has 4 goals to his name this season.I don't think he will want to leave Everton anytime soon though and they won't let him go.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't get your point. Are you suggesting we should sign players from the 1980s? In the world we live in atm a league made of only English players would be average at best, as would a team made of English players.

Very odd suggesting that we can only be successful with English core. What do you call the past 10 years then?

We don't need to field an all English team, but a British base is vital to any successful English club and not just on the pitch.

Not surprised he's been excellent this season for Everton. At Wigan, Martinez always relied heavily on his wing-backs to contribute on both ends of the pitch and Coleman is perfect for his tactics.

I honestly don't get your point. Are you suggesting we should sign players from the 1980s? In the world we live in atm a league made of only English players would be average at best, as would a team made of English players.

Very odd suggesting that we can only be successful with English core. What do you call the past 10 years then?

The two most influential players at Chelsea in the last decade have been John Terry and Frank Lampard in anyones language,nothig to do with my point though that the English premier league is a great place to sign players from .

Nobody tis talking about signing English players ,Coleman is not English ,we are talking about signing players from the English Premier League ,arguably the best in the world and therefore a fine place for signing players.

Well the issue with signing players from the EPL is that all the best players are naturally at the top clubs which makes them rivals for us and thus it would be much harder to buy from them.

And if all the teams in the EPL just bought players from the EPL then it would not have most of it's stars because obviously most of the best players in the league come from outside of England. Imagine if we had not bought the likes of Cech, Drogba, Carvalho, Ballack, Hazard..etc because they were from outside the EPL and instead just bought the likes of Wright-Phillips, Sidwell, Torres, and Cahill! We'd still be looking for our first trophy.

The Terry and Lampard era. Drogba and Cech were also important but this club is English and it should have an English core.

Terry and Lampard era? They were both with us pre-Abramovic and the team did not become a top European club until the Russian came and bought a whole lot of top foreign players.Two players don't make a core and if I had to name this era after one person then it would definitely be Jose Mourinho because he built this team.

I completely agree that we should ideally have an English core because this is an English team after all. But if there are no available English players who are good enough to be the core of a top European team, should we just settle to being an average team and just wait for the English academies to hopefully produce top English players if we want to compete in Europe or even in the EPL?

We don't need to field an all English team, but a British base is vital to any successful English club and not just on the pitch.

Like I said, I agree in principle. But there aren't exactly an excess of English players that are good enough to be the base of a top European team like the Spaniards at Madrid and Barca and the Germans at Bayern. The team must get the players that makes it better regardless of their nationalities.

Like I said, I agree in principle. But there aren't exactly an excess of English players that are good enough to be the base of a top European team like the Spaniards at Madrid and Barca and the Germans at Bayern. The team must get the players that makes it better regardless of their nationalities.

Milner and Barry (before he left) were key elements in City's success despite neither being that good. It's the British players that will step up and rally everyone when the going get's tough, there's a reason Lampard and Terry still play almost every game.

Not surprised he's been excellent this season for Everton. At Wigan, Martinez always relied heavily on his wing-backs to contribute on both ends of the pitch and Coleman is perfect for his tactics.

And how many times has it been said that Ivan is not the best when we are attacking especially at home ,I am sorry but Azpi is not even playing right back and has done very little in my opinion probably why he is not playing at right back . I see Ivan as the best squad cover in the business for right back and centre back ,but not good enough going forward for us , Coleman as you may have seen today is very good going forward and has the pace and stamina to recover and defend.

Not if the English players from today are only average (at the most)...

One should be signed based on his talent and previous performances, not based on the fact he is English!

Terry and Lampard era?

Yes. Two undeniable Chelsea legends in the mould of Osgood, Harris, Bonetti and the other names I grew up hearing tales of. It isn't just about trophies, but what this club meant to it's supporters and that is why it should always have an English core who understand what English football is.

Well the issue with signing players from the EPL is that all the best players are naturally at the top clubs which makes them rivals for us and thus it would be much harder to buy from them.

No they eventually play for the top clubs very few come through the system of the top clubs they play for and players like Coleman and Luke Shaw are there for top clubs to buy ,as is Ross Barkley,they all play in arguably the best league in the world already ,so have reached that level .

Milner and Barry (before he left) were key elements in City's success despite neither being that good. It's the British players that will step up and rally everyone when the going get's tough, there's a reason Lampard and Terry still play almost every game.

Milner and Barry? They're not by any stretch of imagination the core of the team. They were basically the city equivalent of our Kalou and Meireles!

No offense, but it's very hard to agree with that "only English players rally everyone when the going gets tough" is very hard to agree with if you're not English. In fact, if we're talking about mentality, then the German players are probably the best in Europe in that aspect because they are trained in the academies for exactly that. The English academies are still a long way behind, imo.

The reason that JT is that he is by far the best defender England has produced in a long time and one that the NT have not been able to replace (which again highlights the lack of top English talents atm) and Frank is playing we don't have any top players in his position. Add to that the fact that they complete the homegrown quota that we need to fill.

Yes. Two undeniable Chelsea legends in the mould of Osgood, Harris, Bonetti and the other names I grew up hearing tales of. It isn't just about trophies, but what this club meant to it's supporters and that is why it should always have an English core who understand what English football is.

Too bad that practically and logically that nostalgia accounts for very very little in the modern game.

And Drogba and Cech are as much legends as Terry and Frank and we would not have won half of our trophies in the past 10 years without them.

Too bad that practically and logically that nostalgia accounts for very very little in the modern game.

It counts for a lot, but obviously not to you. It's not something that shows up in stats but it matters in REAL football.

And Drogba and Cech are as much legends as Terry and Frank and we would not have won half of our trophies in the past 10 years without them.

They're both great players and were integral to our success but in my opinion Terry and Lampard are on a different level, Terry especially. He's a Chelsea lad through and through and he deserves to retire as a Chelsea player, as will Lamps hopefully.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You