Chelsea v Liverpool

Jase

The only other player we've got who could do a similar job in the midfield as a ball-winning midfielder, is David Luiz. I know Jose said he wasn't going to do it, but he is the only player with that same restlessness that Ramires has; some say that's his problem as a CB, and a virtue as a holding mid (actually think Mikel lacks that very same thing for the position).

I just can't see Essien or Mikel doing anything similar in terms or harassment, pace, and physical play.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only other player we've got who could do a similar job in the midfield as a ball-winning midfielder, is David Luiz. I know Jose said he wasn't going to do it, but he is the only player with that same restlessness that Ramires has; some say that's his problem as a CB, and a virtue as a holding mid (actually think Mikel lacks that very same thing for the position).

I just can't see Essien or Mikel doing anything similar in terms or harassment, pace, and physical play.

Where did you get this idea DL can do all that ?

I don't understand how can you be afraid of Liverpool. Until now we played with Man City, Man United, Tottenham, Arsenal and Bayern, we didn't lose one single game and the only game that we played badly was the first one against Man United.

For example we were better than Arsenal in the last game in their stadium.

They are a good team, they can beat us of course. But since the day one in this season I didn't see one single team playing against us and being better than us.

It's in our stadium and I think we will see another consistent performance like all the others.

If you call parking the bus the way we played against Bayern with 11 players, the way we played with Man City, or Arsenal... I think you are wrong.

EDIT: And by far the best team in the country right now is Man City, and we did it perfectly last time.

In chelsea and mourinho, I'm always hopeful. If there is anything mourinho will fight for with all he has, it's that no title contender will beat chelsea , especially in Stamford bridge. Instead of us to be beaten will play for draw.

I don't understand how can you be afraid of Liverpool. Until now we played with Man City, Man United, Tottenham, Arsenal and Bayern, we didn't lose one single game and the only game that we played badly was the first one against Man United.

For example we were better than Arsenal in the last game in their stadium.

They are a good team, they can beat us of course. But since the day one in this season I didn't see one single team playing against us and being better than us.

It's in our stadium and I think we will see another consistent performance like all the others.

If you call parking the bus the way we played against Bayern with 11 players, the way we played with Man City, or Arsenal... I think you are wrong.

EDIT: And by far the best team in the country right now is Man City, and we did it perfectly last time.

Citeh are not the best in the PL, as seen today. They were outplayed, outsmarted, but Liverpool got robbed by a goal. At 1 zip, legit goal was scored. At 2 zip, totally different game, then.

Chelsea cannot score, therefore, Jose packed the midfield & we will see it on 29th vs Liverpool, mark my words.

Where did you get this idea DL can do all that ?

because he already has - under benitez and for a few minutes against Arsenal recently.

And I just see him do it... he can shield the ball, did it today beautifully, similar to Mikel (Swansea player bounced off of him and fell on the ground). He can keep possession because he's a good/great passer. And interceptions (aka ball-winning) happens to be his forte as a defender. His biggest deficiencies, lack of concentration and positional sense, are less important in the midfield with another line sitting behind him.

That's exactly the reason Barcelona wants him: he is a CB/DM/CM in one player. All of their players (aside from the GK) are midfielders one way or another.

because he already has - under benitez and for a few minutes against Arsenal recently.

And I just see him do it... he can shield the ball, did it today beautifully, similar to Mikel (Swansea player bounced off of him and fell on the ground). He can keep possession because he's a good/great passer. And interceptions (aka ball-winning) happens to be his forte as a defender. His biggest deficiencies, lack of concentration and positional sense, are less important in the midfield with another line sitting behind him.

That's exactly the reason Barcelona wants him: he is a CB/DM/CM in one player. All of their players (aside from the GK) are midfielders one way or another.

Whatever happened under Rafa is past & Jose won´t play it.

Once again, you posting speculations here. Barca wants DL to play in 3 positions ? Come on now. Christmas is just about over.

Whatever happened under Rafa is past & Jose won´t play it.

Once again, you posting speculations here. Barca wants DL to play in 3 positions ? Come on now. Christmas is just about over.

well I began my first post by saying Jose said he won't do it and as usual you chose to ignore that bit. :)

Either way, I don't really care about what Jose said. I think it is an interesting variation, and Benitez was right to use it a few times.

I wasn't clear enough I guess, because you completely missed the point, or you are just being difficult for no reason as usual. :rolleyes:

Regardless, let me try again... all Barcelona players are midfielders who occasionally have to play in their original positions (except the GK of course); these variations happen during a match. They practice "total football" to the letter. That's why they can play Mascherano as a CB.

So, the fact they want DL, thought there was an actual offer last summer, indicates he must be capable of playing in midfield. That is at least my understanding and it matches what I see on the pitch.

what y'all thinking about putting Hazard on the right side this game? Pools weak link today was their left side with Sakho and Cissokho- especially Sakho was horrible and Cissokho way too often out of position. I think Hazard could kill them off on this side, while their right side with Skrtel/Johnson looked much more solid. I think that Willian (who should start) can play as a LW too.

My selection would be:

---Brane (would put Azpi there, but Mou wont do this)-- Luiz (important because of his long balls and speed) - Terry- Azpi

----------------------------------------Mikel-------------------------------------------------------

Lampard---------------------------------------Oscar (could fill in this role I think and is a hard tackler. Another option would be Luiz and Cahill as a CB.

----Hazard-------------Torres-----------------Willian/Mata (depending on what we want. more creativity or more speed and defending)