Whereupon can José Mourinho rely on to implement a high pressing game at Chelsea?

SeB

Sorry I didn't edit it very well, I was rather drowsy when I did it. I didn't want to make too many changes to it, given that the main problems were just sentence structure.

The tended to wind on with uncessary words that just make it an exhuasting read. Sometime more is less. For instance: "Despite a fairly decent 63 ball recoveries in that game..." would be better as "Despite a decent 63 ball recoveries in that game...". An incredibly minor change at first glance but I belive that it makes the statement more definitive and powerful. Or even "Despite 63 ball recoveries during that game.." which requires the readers opinion to fill in the gap: "Is 63 ball recoveries, good or bad?"

I'm not that learned in French so I'm unsure is this applies, but when it comes to writing English; I usually look towards the rules of Orwell:

1) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2) Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

4) Never use the passive where you can use the active.

5) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

6) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

A few sentences were absolutely nonsensical but they were all restricted to the first and second paragraphs.

Sorry I didn't edit it very well, I was rather drowsy when I did it. I didn't want to make too many changes to it, given that the main problems were just sentence structure.

The tended to wind on with uncessary words that just make it an exhuasting read. Sometime more is less. For instance: "Despite a fairly decent 63 ball recoveries in that game..." would be better as "Despite a decent 63 ball recoveries in that game...". An incredibly minor change at first glance but I belive that it makes the statement more definitive and powerful. Or even "Despite 63 ball recoveries during that game.." which requires the readers opinion to fill in the gap: "Is 63 ball recoveries, good or bad?"

I'm not that learned in French so I'm unsure is this applies, but when it comes to writing English; I usually look towards the rules of Orwell:

1) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2) Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

4) Never use the passive where you can use the active.

5) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

6) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

A few sentences were absolutely nonsensical but they were all restricted to the first and second paragraphs.

So, did you edit those minor things you pointed out?

So, did you edit those minor things you pointed out?

I said I didn't want to change it too much. What I pointed out is at SeB's discretion.

So let me get this straight: Our ball recovery system has not worked yet this season because Seb has bad grammar?

:P

Well, next time I won't offer advice to someone writing in their second (or even third) language. Besides, I never mentioned his grammar being bad. In fact his grammar is fantastic. I was giving creative writing tips. He doesn't have to follow them, I was just stating my opinion.

Now, I am not sure whether this is about more stats, charts on Chelsea or a short lesson on study grammar

For fucks sake, how about I never help anyone again. God fucking dammit, I've had enough for today.

I said I didn't want to change it too much. What I pointed out is at SeB's discretion.

Well, next time I won't offer advice to someone writing in their second (or even third) language. Besides, I never mentioned his grammar being bad. In fact his grammar is fantastic. I was giving creative writing tips. He doesn't have to follow them, I was just stating my opinion.

For fucks sake, how about I never help anyone again. God fucking dammit, I've had enough for today.

I am sure we all welcomed your creative tips, it´s just it seems inappropriate for you to do it. keep your chin up.

It was a joke. Lighten up. I haven't even read the article yet.

This should be 'must-read welcome post' for every poster - regardless of who and what their opinion about Chelsea and Mourinho are - to post in Mourinho's thread and post-match threads (not to say some players' threads too).

Seb, can I adopt you? I like do adopt prodigies :wub:

Jokes aside, I normally don't have patience to read vast articles (regardless of how long or not they are) because there's too much data to check, so I normally do it in 2-3 times because normally there's too much info and I want to be able to absorb everything and feel like I really took as much as I could from what the author expected. This one was an exception because the connection between the data and the text was so strong that the more I read the more anticipating I became and I just had to keep going and make it all at once. I'm positive I'll re-read it a few other times, but it's a gem, absolutely brilliant.

I had no idea you had this coming and I just said earlier today in the Mourinho's thread that this is a high pressing team, that likes to attack a lot - counter-attack or not - and this article is a testament to that, explaining in depth why it worked back in October and why it hasn't been working lately. Way to explain the transition phase Mourinho is going through without using the word transition once. Absolutely brilliant

If you could explain the selection of Ivanovic as right back and Cahill Terry as central defender, I would be glad.

Especially if we want to to press high, for me pressing high with a central defense quite deep is a big no.

It was the worst combination of players for the back four last year.

And the match against West Ham for me is not a great indicator as the back four of West Ham is rubbish, slow and inept with the ball at their feet. They're a hoofing ball team.

And I would like to have an idea of what the possession system is when we have the ball as we struggle with no clear ideas and movements to alter the shape of the opponent.

Mourinho's weak point is clearly when the opponents leave them the ball. Looking at the difficulties of his Real team to dispatch Manchester United that were not that great defensively.

Even his first chelsea team were into too many fighting matches against average and mediocre team when the team had top3 in Europa midfielders.

If you could explain the selection of Ivanovic as right back and Cahill Terry as central defender, I would be glad.

Especially if we want to to press high, for me pressing high with a central defense quite deep is a big no.

It was the worst combination of players for the back four last year.

And the match against West Ham for me is not a great indicator as the back four of West Ham is rubbish, slow and inept with the ball at their feet. They're a hoofing ball team.

And I would like to have an idea of what the possession system is when we have the ball as we struggle with no clear ideas and movements to alter the shape of the opponent.

Mourinho's weak point is clearly when the opponents leave them the ball. Looking at the difficulties of his Real team to dispatch Manchester United that were not that great defensively.

Even his first chelsea team were into too many fighting matches against average and mediocre team when the team had top3 in Europa midfielders.

When Cech kicks the ball, he always does it in the direction of Ivanovic (look how we have scored the first goal against City). We have the obligation of doing it unless you want to lose the ball every times that Ceck kicks it.

Luiz was injured, he's clearly ahead of Cahill in the pecking order. For example, he had one training before Jose put him against Bayern, same against Steau last week. He was benched against City only because he made a mistake against Cardiff.

And just to say, Terry and Azpi are very good on the ball and they were playing against West Ham.