The Portuguese Liga Sagres Thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Porto with a passion and I'm enjoying every second of their downward spiral. That being said, Fonseca was always over his head and I feel bad for the guy as I'm always protective of portuguese players and managers when discussing outside of the portuguese bubble. He's looking bad right now and I hope he moves on from Porto with dignity and self-confidence as he has already proven to be a solid manager for a mid-table portuguese team with lower expectations. That's where he belongs, and that's not the worst thing in the world (better than me that's for sure).

I can't believe people saying the league has been boring this year. Just because Benfica is pulling away now doesn't mean it wasn't fantastic up until recently. First week of January, Sporting, Benfica, and Porto were all tied at the top of the table. First season in a while that Sporting is battling for the title and its great to see because our league needs Sporting to be competitive. Porto's wheels are falling off right now and how is that not entertaining? That's like us Chelsea fans watching Arsenal's predictable collapse after they start believing this could be the year, except Porto never collapses which makes it all the more satisfying.Yes Benfica have opened a gap but the season is far from over. Benfica is still in Europa League and the league cup while Sporting have a chance to rest most weeks and more properly prepare for their next opponents. If Sporting closes the gap by a measly two or three points over the next few games (entirely possible) then the final game of the season between Porto and Benfica at Porto's stadium will be super squeeky bum time for us Benfiquistas. We don't know what will happen to Porto between now and then, but no matter what the situation, Porto would love nothing more than to spoil the party for Benfica. Pinto Da Costa will NOT let Benfica celebrate clinching the title at the Dragao even if it means sitting his ass on the bench right next to whoever the manager is or personally choosing the prostitutes he provides the refs.... And that, my friends, should be more than enough reason to use any adjective except boring when describing the league this year.

Lol, you sound just like every Sporting fan.

So if the roles were reversed you wouldn't defend your team? Seems legit. You probably think Sporting hasn't been hurt by bad refereeing but hey, what do I know.

Edit: look dude, when I wrote that I was a little upset. Let's not contaminate this topic with referee talk because you and I both know we'll enter an endless debate. Benfica is a deserving leader but Sporting should've been closer if not right there. GL for the rest of the season.

So if the roles were reversed you wouldn't defend your team? Seems legit. You probably think Sporting hasn't been hurt by bad refereeing but hey, what do I know.

Edit: look dude, when I wrote that I was a little upset. Let's not contaminate this toppic with referee talk because you and I both know we'll enter an endless debate. Benfica is a deserving leader but Sporting should've been closer if not right there. GL for the rest of the season.

No worries, I agree referee talk won't help anything here (although it has gone both ways for Benfica this season, not just one-sided). I'm glad Sporting is back where they should be, and having Champions League revenue next season will make it a lot easier to stay up there. For this season, I sincerely hope Sporting stay above Porto, but obviously hope Benfica continues the path to the title. Good luck!

Meanwhile watching the circus around Porto's coach leaving/staying...

Can enyone enlighten me, if Fonseca has a nervous breakdown/serious psychological problems (God forbid, but), will it qualify as a good enough medical reason for him to terminate the contract without having to pay off the clause to the club?

I'm a bit afraid to imagine how fans will react if he comes as a coach to Dragao this weekend.

Hopefully I'm exaggerating, of course :)

Meanwhile watching the circus around Porto's coach leaving/staying...

Can enyone enlighten me, if Fonseca has a nervous breakdown/serious psychological problems (God forbid, but), will it qualify as a good enough medical reason for him to terminate the contract without having to pay off the clause to the club?

I'm a bit afraid to imagine how fans will react if he comes as a coach to Dragao this weekend.

Hopefully I'm exaggerating, of course :)

He's normal lol he's just over his head and the team itself isn't as good as it normally is. Kind of like Moyes I'd say.

LOL )

Nevermind, looks like they fired the poor guy. On the day of his birthday, but I guess he'd take it as a fine gift.

He seems a likeable guy so I wish him well wherever he goes, but now let's see what will happen in the League and both cups with this change.

Though I'd probably make Benfica favorite for all 3 competitions in Portugal.

LOL )

Nevermind, looks like they fired the poor guy. On the day of his birthday, but I guess he'd take it as a fine gift.

He seems a likeable guy so I wish him well wherever he goes, but now let's see what will happen in the League and both cups with this change.

Well tbh he kind of started like a prick IIRC, but he got humbled... Not sure but @pachman40 can help me out here.

LOL )

The sacking has been coming even though Porto don't normally sack their managers mid-season but really, on his birthday? That is just ouch!

The sacking has been coming even though Porto don't normally sack their managers mid-season but really, on his birthday? That is just ouch!

I think that was done like a twisted birthday present for the guy, he's offered his resignation like 3 times and finally they let him off the hook.

Well tbh he kind of started like a prick IIRC, but he got humbled... Not sure but @pachman40 can help me out here.

I don't like to bash for the sake of bashing, but I think Fonseca kinda took on the personality of the team when he was hired at Porto. They have a certain "my shit don't stink" arrogance around them and Fonseca was almost trying too hard to show that he belongs. Vitor Pereira, AVB, Co Adriaannse, Victor Fernandez... they all had a cockiness and prickness that irritated opponents. Benfica's Jorge Jesus is no slouch in this category at all and tops the list in my opinion so its not like I'm just bashing Porto, but the fact he got pretty humble at the end almost made me feel bad for the guy, almost..

I don't like to bash for the sake of bashing, but I think Fonseca kinda took on the personality of the team when he was hired at Porto. They have a certain "my shit don't stink" arrogance around them and Fonseca was almost trying too hard to show that he belongs. Vitor Pereira, AVB, Co Adriaannse, Victor Fernandez... they all had a cockiness and prickness that irritated opponents. Benfica's Jorge Jesus is no slouch in this category at all and tops the list in my opinion so its not like I'm just bashing Porto, but the fact he got pretty humble at the end almost made me feel bad for the guy, almost..

Yeah I though so, I recalled some of his quotes. The thing is, most of those coaches walked the talk and showed results and this guy just proved to be way above his level.

In relation to Benfica, I think you guys are better this years when it comes to bashing... No offense. Last year humbled you guys and the football you are playing right now is leading to critics from Sporting fans, but I honestly think it's very good. Not the show it was last year but the team looks very secure and confident. But success will always bring a certain cockiness.

• 3 weeks later...

Porto are now 15 points behind Benfica with 5 games to go and their chances of winning the title is now gone completely. That Porto v Benfica game on the last day is so pointless now. Had wanted to see this again..

iOmA5zMJIKuax.gif