test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueLion.

The "constructive criticism" thread

Started by BlueLion.,

155 posts in this topic

Also you offering everyone to meet face to face is painfully embarrassing? Offering to meet an Australian member face to face? Are you for real...Then you say you've spoken to members face to face following it up by PM in brackets? Get a life you loser :lol:

I've met supporters from this forum at matches. Why does that make me a loser?

Ultimately we're all Chelsea supporters so why wouldn't people meet up?

I've met supporters from this forum at matches. Why does that make me a loser?

Ultimately we're all Chelsea supporters so why wouldn't people meet up?

Because you're suggesting you've told them stuff to their face....

Again, he probably would have won an election but that's very much the same issue as the MOTM thing.

It's becoming more of a teen chat site and less of a Chelsea supporters forum. CFCNet might look like shit, but the content on there is far more interesting and far more relatable to your average Chelsea supporter who wants to talk about Chelsea Football Club.

Coming second in an election in which 70-odd different members voted is about as democratic an appointment can get. Unless you'd prefer for members to fight to the death to see who is most worthy? I honestly can't see a more inclusive way of electing an official (i.e. forum moderator) than by putting it up to a vote?

You have to realise that this forum is obviously called "TalkChelsea" - but there are general forums here as well. I want to ensure that the Chelsea section remains relevant, so I am doing my best to ensure my mod team keep discussions on-topic and relevant. However that has become a lot harder than it should be with people provoking one-another, and others reacting to the obvious WUMs. General chat should go in the appropriate forum. So by appointing Spike we have another active member who can help realise that goal.

oh and reading posts above mine reminds me of something else: I think the mods should be harsher about the name calling. It's getting out of hand. Warning should be given, or temporary suspensions. I don't think bans should be given at first. But people need to learn to respect others one way or the other. If by a polite request they can't, then more serious actions should be taken. Sorry, I'm a teacher - disciplining is second nature, but I guess it's not a bad idea at all.

Because you're suggesting you've told them stuff to their face....

I've spoken to them face to face...that's how it works in the real world. You meet up with someone and rather than continuing to talk to them on the forum, you say stuff to them like 'would you like a drink?'.

oh and reading posts above mine reminds me of something else: I think the mods should be harsher about the name calling. It's getting out of hand. Warning should be given, or temporary suspensions. I don't think bans should be given at first. But people need to learn to respect others one way or the other. If by a polite request they can't, then more serious actions should be taken. Sorry, I'm a teacher - disciplining is second nature, but I guess it's not a bad idea at all.

Kinda agree.

Look, football supporters will use foul language. But WHS has called two members 'cunt' in the last two days....how many warning points did he get for it?

I'm going to assume none.

@We Hate Scouse, Would you like a drink next time I'm in England? It'll happen one of these days.

I don't see why people can't just chill out. Just chill out, if something bother's you ignore it and focus on all the good things. People are so caught up all these niggling things they forget what the forum really offers. There are good articles and good posters, there are some insightful views and interesting arguments. Why not add to those things instead of arguing about the negatives?

you do know The Skipper is 20, right? Which proves that age is just a number.

The childish behavior could come from a 15yo or a 40yo. I agree that we're having problems because of egos, people confusing opinions with facts (normally who reads may assume one stated a fact when it was only an opinion, but they were wordy and emphatic so it mind sound like being factual when it's still just an opinion).

I agree that normally with age comes maturity - we all have been young (the ones who are older, that is lol) - but I think the problem sometimes comes from some older people had been more immature in the last couple of weeks just as the younger. So it's relative and we can't generalize.

As for constructive criticism, I don't like the Member of the Month award, I think it's juvenile and although that only makes it my opinion and as such shouldn't be taken seriously (and it's something I can totally overlook) I think this sort of award contributes to some of the issues, the egos war, the self-righteousness, and it's a huge popularity contest the way it is now and maybe the cliquey thing TOPTB is complaining. The cliquey doesn't bother me, but the ganging up singling out posters sometimes get a bit much.

So my criticism for now is only about the award. And I think we could foment more discussions about football.

Thanks for taking the time to post a level-headed answer, B.

Doing away with the MOTM award would (as the poll I put up shows) be quite an unpopular measure. However the staff are almost completely in agreement to do away with it. I think in the recent discussion we had in the private forum, that I was the only person in defence of it.

I believe there are only two ways for us to make it more democratic - the first would actually be to take away the democratic aspect of the vote - and make it staff-only. I think if the staff singled out two or three users and voted amongst themselves, it would take away any chance of an ego-war, as you put it. Alternatively, the poll should be done entirely privately, and people have to PM me or another admin with their votes?

I can't think of any other realistic options, because for us to say that someone like The Skipper, who is a continuously brilliant member, is banned from winning next month's award on the basis of winning it this month!

We have been harsh about it. And then we get attacked for banning people, on the basis that "they spoke out" and we're trying to suppress them like the Gestapo. People have been very petty, recently, and it has stopped us from doing a job because our every little movement and action is being criticised. The reality is we don't get paid to be moderators and administrators, and we try and govern this forum in a fair, utilitarian way. But of course every action will bring about opposition.

Barbara likes this

We have been harsh about it. And then we get attacked for banning people, on the basis that "they spoke out" and we're trying to suppress them like the Gestapo. People have been very petty, recently, and it has stopped us from doing a job because our every little movement and action is being criticised. The reality is we don't get paid to be moderators and administrators, and we try and govern this forum in a fair, utilitarian way. But of course every action will bring about opposition.

So what was WHS punishment for calling two members a cunt?

I don't know if this can be termed as criticism or not but i have only one request to the members here, please be patient.

Why i say this is because it's just been 4 PL matches and i have already read people here saying "Jose doesn't know what he is doing, Jose is shit" or "Schurrle is a waste of money, he should be sold" or "Etoo is old and not upto the level, he is shit, sell him" or "We can never win the league with this team". Now, please don't tell me to bring proof where i read it or who said it because quite frankly, Chelsea losing doesn't piss me off as much reading those type of comments here after the match does. Now, i am not saying not to criticize the team for its bad result but please be a bit more patient and understanding. Some of the posts in the post match thread are freaking cringe worthy to say the least.

So i don't know if it's feasible for the mods here, but can you please delete those kind of posts, i mean its pretty basic sometimes to realize that those posts are all said in anger, without a sane mind and that they do sometimes lead to unnecessary arguments. Again, not saying that people aren't entitled to their opinion but some posts are just looking to rile other people up.

if u ask me, this thread is the best example of what is wrong with the forum.

people just want to wind up other members and then very ironically behave as if they are the saints around here.

another problem is the attitude of some members like henriqu (or whatever), termx etc. who suppose they are above the law or something and simply worth more than the others. that attitude of some posters is what starts the name-calling (read this thread to understand what i am saying).

for me, their is no simple solution. the mods cant police everything, everywhere. i am sure they have lives too (or i hope so, :) ). its upto a certain set of posters to tone down a bit.

Excellent post. As I have previously said, we have to meet people half-way.

if u ask me, this thread is the best example of what is wrong with the forum.

people just want to wind up other members and then very ironically behave as if they are the saints around here.

another problem is the attitude of some members like henriqu (or whatever), termx etc. who suppose they are above the law or something and simply worth more than the others. that attitude of some posters is what starts the name-calling (read this thread to understand what i am saying).

for me, their is no simple solution. the mods cant police everything, everywhere. i am sure they have lives too (or i hope so, :) ). its upto a certain set of posters to tone down a bit.

I agree certain members do feel they are above the law, but they're part of this clique that seems to be dominating the discourse of this forum.

Henrique says stuff that winds people up, but we all do that at times. I have no doubt that in time there will be another pile-on where he's ultimately banned and a dozen members can just agree with each other 24/7.

but maybe the way to go is being moderate about it, Lex? I mean, if someone calls the other stupid brainless idiot, I don't think they should be banned, but they could be suspended for one day or a couple of them. And be warned and when it amounts to 5 or whatever amount, then the ban comes.

I only suggested being harsher because I'm actually appalled by how much name calling this place had going for the past month or so. People feel like it's their right to call others whatever they want. I'm a newbie and I can say that when I joined it wasn't like that. I don't know if there had been other streaks of such lack of disrespect, but it's too much right now.

As for people criticizing you guys, I had a convo about it with Nour the other day and I agree with him, it's unavoidable, because if you for example allow the name callers to continue, some people will complain, if you take action, others will complain - which is why I support a warning and suspension system prior to ban.

I'm part of a HUGE (Threads: 334,499 | Posts: 69,860,097 | Members: 254,129 | Currently Active Users: 2048 - and that's because it's a bad hour for the forum - too many American because normally it has 4k online easily) forum for the past six years and one of the actions mods take there is closing threads after a few warnings. The threads remain closed for short periods (24h or 48h) maybe something similar could work in some threads here - like players threads and matches threads. I guess to control it in the community board might be hard, but in the serious threads it could work for when petty squabbles carry on. Anyway, just a suggestion...

another comment, being too democratic sometimes only make your job harder. Impose a few things might be necessary.

I agree certain members do feel they are above the law, but they're part of this clique that seems to be dominating the discourse of this forum.

Henrique says stuff that winds people up, but we all do that at times. I have no doubt that in time there will be another pile-on where he's ultimately banned and a dozen members can just agree with each other 24/7.

nope, that is where he is very clever. he ll be downright degrading towards u. but when u comeback with a reply all he ll say is

"TC LEGEND.RESPECT".

how and what do u reply to that except for saying get off your high horse, faggot. and then BAM... u r the one in the wrong because u started the name calling.

zolayes likes this