Willian

Jase

I counted only 2 bad plays from him. He fucked up 1 counter, and one badly placed pass in the final third.

Let's face it, everyone was not good today. Apart from Matic. Hazard was trying too hard and taking way too many touches. Cuadrado didn't do anything for me today, but that could just be me. Remy tried but was always surrounded, also led to him moving into wide positions often. Willian did okay, I'd say he was best of the bunch. He kept his play simple and did the best he could.

But the most important thing is he got the winner today so he deserves praise.

I have said it since he arrived here- he was constantly played out of position by Mourinho. Now, after 1 1/2 seasons I hope Mourinho will put Willian in his natural position where he showed today what he is capable of. Superb display.

They mentioned it in the broadcast about 100x...

And did you see how many counters/chances they had today and it took a deflected goal as the winning goal?

What does how many counters or chances they had have to do with Willian's performance? Can you just not commend it? Why do you feel the need to undermine his great game and crucial goal? Just because he had a good game at the #10 role today, do you feel threatened for Oscar's place in the team?

He's really upped his game in the last matches and based on that and Oscar's form, I'd say we should start this combo more often (maybe give Eden a rest after the UCL game, we play Burnley in the league the next match, right?

I've always criticized him a lot - especially with decision making and a negative football IQ, but he's been playing really well and I felt his decisions improved a lot.

I don't see a lot of difference today as a #10 and the last two games he played in terms of attack output - so I don't get you people praising him for the position change as if he hasn't been doing the same in the wing the last couple of matches. I already conceded he should start ahead of Oscar right now, so this is not me trying to save Oscar's starting position, it's just that he's been playing very well currently, end of it. He did very well in the last two matches playing in the wing and now he's done the same in the central position.

Cuadrado seemed to be okay - or decent - so I don't see why not start him and Willian ahead of Oscar at the moment. Not only Oscar is injured and tired, but he's been in bad form.

Now I want to see if José will drop Ramires or will play Cesc as #10. One alternative would be playing Cesc #10 (not my favorite, but he's far from bad in the position) and moving Cuadrado to the bench, keeping Willian in the wing. One thing is for sure, Willian is imo our best AM currently and should be the first name in the attack lineup, just after Diego Costa. I hope he continues this evolution and keeps up with high confidence. He has a lot of talent - we have always agreed on that - and had been lacking on better decision making, creativity, decisiveness and end product. I've seen clear improvement in all areas in the last few matches. I hope this form is here to stay. I have no problem if a better play replaces another, as long as they influence the matches and lead us to win. AS my signature says stats don't make my head. I will always pick a player that helps us win matches with goals and assists over a flashy, talented, dribbler, 'chance creator' player. Football is won with goals, whoever assists them or nets them has to play. Willian is in a crescendo, we should keep him there to give him confidence. He's been shutting me up just fine.

For me Willian has been a definite starter the last few games he has bee awesome he has dought, ran and given 100% every game, his goal tonight made my week, I was almost crying when Matic goal got disallowed and then he popped up and banged it past the lot of them was fantastic :)

Nr 10? most of the time he was out wide and Hazard was playing as our nr 10, of course our AMs changes positions all the time but Willian was mostly wide left today.

True. There was no designated #10 in this game. Willian and Hazard were constantly drifting.

Nr 10? most of the time he was out wide and Hazard was playing as our nr 10, of course our AMs changes positions all the time but Willian was mostly wide left today.

True. There was no designated #10 in this game. Willian and Hazard were constantly drifting.

which is just further proof that some people will keep repeating it on a broken record just to suit their agenda and ignore some facts - as they usually do

He's been as good today as he's been the last few games imo... and they did exchange a lot.

The main thing here is that Willian earned to be the first AM picked for the match (I believe Hazard needs and deserves a rest), he can play well in any position if he keeps this level and will lead the team to wins.

Just to add to what Barbara wrote. The Hazard/rest thing is getting out of hand. I just checked the stats. He's played 2211 mins this season, the most of any Chelsea player except Terry and Ivanovic and the difference is between them and Hazard is only 39 mins! For comparison, Matic has played 2160 mins, Fabregas has played 1871 mins, Costa has played 1603 mins, and both Willian and Oscar have played 1602 and 1588 mins respectively.

Why doesn't Mourinho ever consider resting Hazard? Doesn't he know he has gotten injured at the critical stages of the last two seasons and that those sort of mins are beyond excessive for an attacking midfielder? No wonder he is under-hitting passes more and more in the last few matches. Mourinho needs to manage his players better. I was crying for Hazard to be rested during December, but he never was.

Surprised that Willian was played in the No.10 role against Everton but at the same time, not surprised either. Mourinho has showed in the past he will do that if we attempt to play on the break, not necessarily for the entire game but certainly when we can get loads of opportunities to counter and Everton was the perfect opposition for such approach. If we had played one of the lesser sides instead, Willian would have started out wide.

That aside, credit where is due for his performance. Was solid, looked threatening and finally scored a goal this season that's actually vital. Can definitely still improve with the final passes though...